Quantcast

Dakine Shuttle Pad

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by Rider15, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Rider15

Rider15 Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 3
    Hey guys im interested to hear your thoughts about the Dakine Pickup Pad. For those of you who dont know its this http://www.dakine.com/bike/accessories/pick-up-pads/pick-up-pad-lg/

Basically Im thinking about buying one of these and Ive heard that is quite popular in Canada/US and just wanted to hear from anyone who has used one or had experience with them and whether they are worth buying?

Thanks

Please register to disable this ad.

2. krustydude

krustydude Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    I ride with two different groups that shuttle and they both have pads and they rock. I finally reached the point with my trail where we can shuttle so I picked one up a couple months back and it works great. I have a 2500 Chevy and it fits perfect. I was using a piece of carpet and the Dakine is so much nicer. It's all about image and the Pickup pad says I'm a downhiller! :D

3. daisycutter

daisycutter Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 14
    They are great but allow the bikes to move around. They need straps to hofd the bikes down

4. IH8Rice

IH8Rice I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!

Rep/Likes:
    61 / 468
    the Softride Shuttle Pad:

5. mattmatt86

mattmatt86 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 10
    :rofl: Good god we don't need anymore of this in the sport.

6. JeffKill

JeffKill Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Thanks for posting this, never saw them before. My Dakine pad is just about worn out now, think I'll give this one a try next :thumb:

7. Uncle Cliffy

Uncle Cliffy Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    2 / 42

8. tuumbaq

tuumbaq Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    -2 / 0
    all of the above WILL wreck the paint on your tailgate...in case you care about it

9. insanitylevel9

insanitylevel9 triple nubby

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    that looks pretty cool any one got a clue on pricing?

10. IH8Rice

Rep/Likes:
    61 / 468
  11. JeffKill

JeffKill Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    You are correct. But if you put something like a fleece blanket under it, it will prevent that from happening. Works for me anyway.

12. bdamschen

bdamschen Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 36
    Mine finally fell apart after 4 years but it got used almost every weekend and left on the truck the whole time. Expect it to slowly rub a section of paint of your down tube if it's not protected and throw something under the pad to stop frames from getting dented when you rally speed bumps.

All told though, UPS is dropping another one off today.

13. Jason4

Jason4 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    If you ride in wet conditions you can say good bye to the paint on your downtube as well. Be prepared for pedal scratches all over your frame and really watch out for air shock pistons.

14. JeffKill

JeffKill Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    If a little common sense is used while loading, you can completely avoid scratches or any other damage to the bikes. But you are right about the paint on the downtube, it will get worn off. I myself am not overly concerned with it though.

15. insanitylevel9

insanitylevel9 triple nubby

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
  16. sethimus

sethimus Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    8 / 92
  17. -BB-

-BB- I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 24
    Worth every cent... Maybe even DOUBLE the MSRP. :thumb:

I've used on for at least 7 years (since 2004) and it is still going STRONG. Never had a bike even start to come out and that includes some off-road stuff going to-from camp sites etc. You might get a little paint wear on the bottom of your down-tube though, but not a big deal in my opinion. Worst case, throw a sticker there or some sort of frame protector.

18. -BB-

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 24
    Hmmm... I dont' understand why this one goes way down INSIDE the truck, but not outside the truck where the wheels are. Seems like it should be the other way around.

19. dfinn

dfinn Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I usually stick a camelback, helmet or whatever gear I have in between my nice bike and the beater bikes of all the dudes I ride with. :)

It's really not that hard. I have considered getting one of these pads but I had a feeling it would scratch the paint on my tail gate. I don't believe I've ever actually gotten any scratches on my truck while using it to shuttle multiple bikes hanging over the tailgate with just an old blanket.

20. DirtMcGirk

DirtMcGirk <b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 0
    I've had one on the back of my Tacoma for 5 years now. Its pretty much lived on there. I've hauled up to 9 bikes hung on it. Not sure what you mean about tie down straps. Its fine without them. It will eat the paint off the down tube, and over time the paint on your truck under it will look a lot different.

I think mine is finally hitting the end of its life. I wish it were about 4" wider though, doesn't cover wall to wall like the old piece of carped I used to use.

21. Jeremy R

Jeremy R <b>x</b>

Rep/Likes:
    36 / 277
    Yeah, I gots nuttin' but love for the Da Kine pad. I have had mine forever, and it stays on my truck all the time. It is greyish now with a nice perma-stain of red clay mud on it.
    For me, there is no real cons to it honestly.
    I put a little clear vinyl on my downtubes to protect the frame.
    I think my tailgate is fine, but I don't spend anytime looking at it. Since I am man with dangly sugar lumps, I can't bothered over my truck's tailgate appearance.:D
    How much the bikes move around depends on your tailgate and bike size. My single crown bikes do not move at all, but a dh bike will move a little on my tacoma. The main thing to watch out for is if the end of a lock on grip is touching your top tube, but other than that its been fine for me.
    Its probaly about the most useful thing I have purchased for my bikes in the last 10 years.

22. profro

profro Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 148
    Hasn't on mine. I have had my Dakine pad on my F250 for about 5 years solid. I occasionally take it off hose it down and wash the truck. Paint is perfect, but maybe its Ford's paint that is holding up better than your brand of truck?

23. -BB-

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 24
    My Tundra is A-OK as well. Pad has been on since 2004 and I just removed it for the first time a few weeks ago. Everything was perfect. in fact, the paint was in better condition under the pad than anywhere else on my truck!!

24. Da Peach

Da Peach Outwitted by a rodent

Rep/Likes:
    95 / 686
    I dunno. Seems that I've had rotten luck with my bike and those things. Combine quick loading with a rough shuttle road and an "aggressive" driver, your bike can really take a beating.

25. Uncle Cliffy

Uncle Cliffy Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    2 / 42
    To me, this is true with any system, unless you're standing there holding your bike.

26. Da Peach

Da Peach Outwitted by a rodent

Rep/Likes:
    95 / 686
    I suppose. But having each bike held in place is pretty key. Bar end caps and top tubes, pedals and downtubes, etc... are not friends. They should be kept separate.

The old "shinpad on downtube" trick works fine. But is a bit of a PITA, especially on muddy days, and shimming packs/helmets/whatever between the bikes works too.

Works, yes. Ideal? No.

27. mattmatt86

mattmatt86 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 10
    Those of you that say it will take some of the paint off the tailgate, are you leaving it on 100% of the time? If I get one I'm only planning on having it on the truck when I'm actually shuttling, maybe a max of 10ish hours a month....

28. 92SE-R

92SE-R piston slapper

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 13
    I've been using the shuttlepad for a little bit now, and I feel like the sewn on straps address the rubbing on the downtube issue. I posted a review here a while back.

29. slowitdown

slowitdown Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I find hilarious that people who own pickup trucks are spazzing about scratches or dulled paint.

Why buy a truck if you don't intend to make it work for you, and instead want it to look showroom-new all the time? If you're trying to make it look new you'll never be wanting to make it work for you. If you don't want to make it work for you, why own a truck? The image of being a pickup truck owner? Seriously?

30. IH8Rice

Rep/Likes:
    61 / 468
    cause you can still make a truck work for you if you take the extra second to prevent scratching it. yes, some are inevitable but most are avoidable.
    a beater truck is one thing, but who wants to make their vehicle look like sh!t?

31. mattmatt86

mattmatt86 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 10
    :stupid: My truck cost 25k, I'm not gonna turn a blind eye to scratches just because it's a truck. A few extra seconds of patients or prep can save you thousands when you trade it in.

32. stormrider194

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I just put a softride pad on my avalanche. In my opinion it's a much nicer pad than the dakine. The softride is thicker and has velcro straps to keep the bikes from moving around. You can pick one up for $79.95 at www.autoanything.com

33. samnation

samnation Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    2 / 0
    -Scratches paint
    -pad wears out most I know have a horse blanket or foamie underneath
    -hole for handle rarely lines up
    -goes VERY moldy

-cheap (as compared to a rack)
    -works really well in some climates

Some notes
    a strip of rubber across the top will stop paint wear on the DT
    Mike kinrade does NOT run and he is on dakine (take that however you want it is just a footnote)

I have both sold and sold against the pads.

34. bullcrew

bullcrew Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    8 / 26
    goin back to cali, cali, cali, goin back to cali!
    Took eps pipe foam from home depot cut it down to 10" peices its slit so you stick it over the downtube on the bike where it sits on the pad. Takes just a second avoids dents and loss of paint on the frame...
    Take em off and throw em in the back shuttle and repeat....

35. Sam B

Sam B Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    I used to have a homemade cross bar rack on my truck for 6 bikes. My buddy Ryan did the V1 and I added a gusset after the first cross piece broke.

However, now I use this...

http://www.shuttlenuts.com/

Which gives extra room behind the bikes for gear bags, etc. Don't listen to them about the canopy though... it doesn't really work with one. Made here in the PNW and it does a much better job separating the pedals, etc. The old 6 bike thing I had was really too much for 150mm spacing and a compact truck. You can use the Shuttlenuts rack with the tailgate up... but now I have a 5 ft bed and the tailgate down adds a bunch of room for gear bags, etc.

I still have a dakine pad, just for tossing a couple bikes in. But if we go shuttling the "Mac Rack" goes on...

36. Sam B

Sam B Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Oh yeah... and around here you see multipe Dakine pads a day on trucks, and everyones downtubes have a bike shiny alloy spot from the shuttle rub. They definitely do damage to your bike, but it's better than straight on the tailgate and you can fit more in than with moto straps, etc.

37. cmoney

cmoney Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    3M makes clear adhesive tape that will protect your down tube.
    I spent ten bucks on some 2x4's and built a little rack that the back tires sit in so the bikes don't bounce all over each other while using my Dakine pad.Works great.

38. johnnypop

johnnypop Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I used the Dakine for a while and it worked OK, but I had a lot of the same issues already posted. Rallying HWY17, HWY154, and associated shuttle roads caused for some sketchy near-bike-losses and several scrapes and dings. I hated having to watch my rearview mirror all the time to make sure the bikes are all there cause I'm paranoid.

I'm still 100% sold on the Thule T-2 4-bike... It's way more expensive, but bikes are locked in tight and it's quick to load. Even though it has that sticker on it that says don't go off roading, it does pretty well when airborne and sideways on dirt roads.

39. Rider15

Rider15 Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 3
    Thanks guys, Im thinking I will get one and just chuck some carpet that i have lying around under the pad to protect the paint, tray has a liner on it so no worries there.

40. slowitdown

slowitdown Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Yeah heaven forbid the Braindead Betties at the Beach Blanket Bingo Bust might refuse to do the Shoog-A-Loo with you because your truck isn't showroom new.

You city people are hilarious, the way what's Genuine and Meaningful is a bunch of external stuff that has nothing to do with you personally.