LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Canada's marijuana bill leaves U.S. fuming

By Colin Nickerson
The Boston Globe
Published May 11, 2003

OTTAWA -- Canada's plan to decriminalize marijuana, making possession of the country's potent weed no more serious than a traffic ticket, has the Bush administration fuming. The view from Washington is that the mellowing of Canadian drug law will result in even more smuggled bales of "B.C. Bud," "Quebec Gold," and "Winnipeg Wheelchair"--the last so named because of its supposedly disabling effect on users--reaching American smokers.

For years, Canadian courts have taken a far more lax attitude toward marijuana than most jurisdictions in the United States. Such an approach, according to law-enforcement officials on both sides of the border, has enabled biker gangs and Asian organized crime groups to make Canada a powerhouse of hydroponic marijuana production, with thousands of high-tech, indoor growing operations in British Columbia, Manitoba and Quebec that yield hundreds of millions of dollars worth of heady product.

"Most of it is going straight to the U.S. market," said a senior drug investigator with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, requesting anonymity. That southward flow of Canadian cannabis explains why the proposed easing of the marijuana law is fast becoming a serious source of political friction between Ottawa and Washington.

In terms of tonnage, Canada accounts for only a small share of the marijuana smuggled into the United States. But in terms of value, some drug enforcement officials believe Canadian marijuana has surpassed Mexico's and Colombia's among U.S. consumers because its high levels of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which gives marijuana its punch, command much higher prices. In U.S. cities, high-grade Canadian marijuana is more than $5,000 a pound, according to drug agencies.

Prime Minister Jean Chretien surprised the United States by announcing he plans to put a bill before Parliament that will make possession and cultivation of small amounts of marijuana a non-criminal offense. The aim, he said, is not to legalize it but to ensure that casual users don't end up with criminal records if caught with a few cigarettes in their pockets or a few plants flourishing under basement grow-lights.

Public opinion polls show a majority of Canadians support decriminalization of marijuana, while 47 percent endorse outright legalization.
so, what they're saying is, smoking Canadian weed is healthier cuz I can inhale less smoke and get an even better high? :confused: :monkey:

Note to self: gotta try that Winni-Wheelie stuff :D

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by LordOpie
so, what they're saying is, smoking Canadian weed is healthier cuz I can inhale less smoke and get an even better high? :confused: :monkey:

Note to self: gotta try that Winni-Wheelie stuff :D
i don't think it will beat the shiet down here that ppl smoke, they put horse tranquilizer in w/ it. one hit straight to da dome!

Thepagoda

Chimp
Aug 31, 2002
Davis, CA
At least Canada has come to grips, now maybe if they can just tell the bush administration to screw off, then things will be fine.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
it's funny... rumors are that Clinton smoke pot, Bush smoked and even did coke. Newt Gingrich is known to have smoked with lots of witnesses around. Ted Kenedy is a huge drunk.

indieboy, put some K in the Canadian weed, especially that Winni-Wheelie shiznit, hook up an IV, and call it a weekend :eek:

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by LordOpie
it's funny... rumors are that Clinton smoke pot, Bush smoked and even did coke. Newt Gingrich is known to have smoked with lots of witnesses around. Ted Kenedy is a huge drunk.

indieboy, put some K in the Canadian weed, especially that Winni-Wheelie shiznit, hook up an IV, and call it a weekend :eek:
personally i don't smoke, could care less if someone decides to do that to their own body but i've seen ppl smoke that shiet and get put on their ass and not move for a while.....

Thepagoda

Chimp
Aug 31, 2002
Davis, CA
I actually (as opposed to what you probaly think after the marijuana thead) don't smoke either. but I still think that it a foolish mistake on the US's part to have a prohibition against that drug. The real reason to move to Canada though is to hit some of the sweet trails in BC. North shore HO! I Think maybe if I get to Canada this summer I'll try to hit Kamloops and maybe some good smoke, just to piss of good old bush. (He probaly wouldn't care if I tried coke though.)

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
$5000 US for a pound? heck, that's way too much. you guys down south are gettin swindled.

the only thing i don't like about MJ is the organised crime thing. why fight fire with fire? legalise it! problem solved! put more effort into gettin crackheads off the street. i heard a crackhead argument the other week: you stole my rock!

anywho, its not the coppers or the guvment that i'm afraid of.... its my wife, who gave up smoking and expects me to do the same. :D :cool:

ain't gonna happen. as for CANADA pissing off the US... i can hardly wait to see the fallout of that. i say let people grow it in their homes with no reprocussions. they'd save money, and organised crime would have to focus their endless resources on something else. the only organised criminals that would get the money are the hydro companies... and i'm sure that a few politicians pockets will get lined for that.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I hate it when the DEA types give weed a value based on what it would be worth if sold in he smallest practicle amount. Still, $39 and change per bag aint bad. I miss living in VT.:nopity: