Quantcast

Dark Owl DXX (Fatigue testing vid page 6)

How long chainstay should be at SAG point?

• Total voters

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Harder, better, faster, stronger.

Just like DH01 it will be made of 4130
  • High pivot
  • horst link,
  • idler
  • 8" of travel
  • 7075 T651 links
  • 24mm pivots
  • PM 74 brake mount

So I've updated few things...

• Frame weights now 8.6 lb. without the shock.
  • Moved from 10.5"x3.5" shock to a 9.5"x3" damper.
  • Changed the axle path a little -0.2" (5 mm) so it has 0.78" (20 mm) of reward axle path.
  • Shortened the CS as well to 16.9" (430 mm).
  • Moved to 83mm BB.
  • 44mm HT
  • 7075 T651 axles
  • It is now brakeless due to FknMagic technology.

Wheel rate stays exactly the same as in DH01 .

Bearings near the rear axle are sealed now with a proper set of rotary seals, so they stay nice and clean.

I've got in touch with a very skilled local framebuilder, so I hope we will make some 1st batch of those babies quite soon.

What do You think?

DH02_2.png

Last edited:

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Can I ask You guys for something? Can You please send me a PM about:

How tall are You and on what frames You were feeling the most comfortable?

do i dare ask...?

Wheelsize?
26", You think 27.5 would be better? (no 26"v650b war plz)

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
i am just being a smartass and trying to stir the pot.

as for your request. im 5'11" and had a medium operator (pre-carbunz); wish i ended up getting a large instead.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
i am just being a smartass and trying to stir the pot.

as for your request. im 5'11" and had a medium operator (pre-carbunz); wish i ended up getting a large instead.
Had a chance to try a Large 2011 Operator (I think). I'm 6' 1.5" and I felt very comfortable on that bike. That's why DH02 will get 17.7" (450 mm) reach and 23.6" (600 mm) stack compared to 16.7" reach and 23.6" stack on DH01.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
5'10" w/ 31" inseam. The medium SB-75 w/40mm stem I just built is the first bike I've been on where the cockpit feels absolutely perfect. None of my previous XC/Trail/FR/AM/DH bikes have ever achieved that. I with it had 17" stays though, as I've found that to be the goldilocks length.

Last edited:

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
That high pivot horst looks like it will have a lot of antisquats.

Have you counted the antisquats yet?

That would be sweet if you can get that frame weight.
It haz teh antisquatz yet still no pedal feedbackz.

Did some adjustments to the AS curve. It has a little more AS now and pedal kickback ~2.5 deg at 36/16

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
I demand leverage ratio graphs drawn with a crayon and an explanation of why the linkage would've been chosen by Jezuz.
penis.jpg

So there is a typo, I ment SAG point ofc. But leverage ratio looks kinda like this. As You can see the further You go through the travel, the more efficient it is, or smthn like this...

Above the 0% is a happy place for some nomads or some other guys from the desert or something...

Below the +100% zone is for giant bikes only. 100% efficient all the time bro.

The new DH02, offering an unique "cross" shaped axle path via the Jesus Link ™ and hydrophobic kinematics. It's so good, it can turn fish into wine...or something like that.
Actualy it turns fish into bacon.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
5'11", prefer a large Yakuza for fit, love my enduro 29er, though it's not a DH bike. Prefer a longer reach with a shorter stem, like a 35mm.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
How about end-stroke clearance?
Mud guard necessary?
There is enough space for the resi. I dont think mud guard is necessary. Those tubes between upper and the main pivot are protecting the shock from mud and debris.

Last edited:

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
That's a really nice bike!!! But CS Should be 16.9 around Sag, try to go as short as possible because it grows a lot along the travel.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
That's a really nice bike!!! But CS Should be 16.9 around Sag, try to go as short as possible because it grows a lot along the travel.
It is 17.7 @SAG so just like any other dh frame on the market or even a tad shorter. Many dh frames have static cs lenght 17.3". With 16.9" at sag I would have to make a 16.14" CS and just not very likely to happen. 1st of all, there would be no space for a chainstay bridge so thats a no no unfortunately. I will think of reducing it to 16.7" (425), but again, mud clearance would be compromised.

Will there be a freeride version?
I am working on a simple single pivot dh/parkbike. In terms of leverage ratio it is very simmilar to IH yakuza kumicho, but with modern geo and different pivot placement for better breaking characteristics and square edge bumps compliance. You can put there a shorter e2e shock and have 6.3" (160mm) miniDH ripper
1_1.png
2_2.png

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'd prefer the length @ sag to be around 17.3, but that's just me. As far as mud goes, you should only have a problem when the bike is in the air, in theory, and then the stays will pull away from the BB and such....but I think that's kind of splitting hairs.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
So there is a typo, I ment SAG point ofc. But leverage ratio looks kinda like this. As You can see the further You go through the travel, the more efficient it is, or smthn like this...
OK, this is where the harder, faster, stronger comes from. :)

I was wondering about the head tube/downtube interface, especially with the curved downtube. Don't you think this construction will cause the frame to flex under heavy braking? Maybe use a straight tube and only bend it at the BB to make room for the shock? The you could, if needed, strengthen the area with a gusset too.

FWIW: Ghost will drop this type of design for next year. New bike should employ the riot link. Marketing or real performance improvement?

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
That single pivot looks like a ripper. I would imagine it will go over well with the freeride crowd as it's steel and has multiple places to stash the weeds. Seriously doe, I would love this kind of bike for everything I don't need my trail bike or DH bike for. DH02 looks awesome too, I'd hit both with a 49-50cm reach please.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
That single pivot looks like a ripper. I would imagine it will go over well with the freeride crowd as it's steel and has multiple places to stash the weeds. Seriously doe, I would love this kind of bike for everything I don't need my trail bike or DH bike for. DH02 looks awesome too, I'd hit both with a 49-50cm reach please.
How tall are You???