Quantcast

Dave Mirra Is Dead....

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
are you one of those who NEED an assault rifle for hunting?
Nope, but I do need it for firing off 30 rounds in quick succession to make sure the paper target I'm shooting at is dead. I need an assault rifle exactly like I need my DH bike, or my full size truck, or any other toy I have, because it's a lot of fucking fun.

I could kill you in my boat.
I could kill myself on my DH bike.
I could kill you in my truck.
But I don't think I have the aim or the guts to kill you with my assault rifle, unless you were trying to harm my family.

The truth is many of us don't need a damn thing, but my assault rifle is no more harmful to you or anyone else than a bag of weed or a line of coke or your neighbor's cat. Dave Mirra died because of CTE and the choices he made, not because someone allowed him to buy a gun and the gun killed him when he wasn't looking.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Nope, but I do need it for firing off 30 rounds in quick succession to make sure the paper target I'm shooting at is dead. I need an assault rifle exactly like I need my DH bike, or my full size truck, or any other toy I have, because it's a lot of fucking fun.

I could kill you in my boat.
I could kill myself on my DH bike.
I could kill you in my truck.
But I don't think I have the aim or the guts to kill you with my assault rifle, unless you were trying to harm my family.

The truth is many of us don't need a damn thing, but my assault rifle is no more harmful to you or anyone else than a bag of weed or a line of coke or your neighbor's cat. Dave Mirra died because of CTE and the choices he made, not because someone allowed him to buy a gun and the gun killed him when he wasn't looking.
wow so many words just to answer a question not directed at you AT ALL. who said you were hunting? the other guy did. NOT YOU. also you can justify owning guns how you like, i prefer to be on the other side of the atlantic though, with a lot less nut jobs with easy gun access around (also visible in the "death by guns" category, but hey, AT LEAST YOU HAVE FUN*, right?)

*till your kids find them and do something you'll gonna regret (happens quite too often)

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I agree with the thread being about Dave Mirra. If not a gun, he would have found another way. Chronic depression is no joke, particularly coupled with something as debilitating as CTE.

But I disagree with the "you don't have a right to talk about guns if it hasn't personally effected you" idea. It's effected me on a personal level after one of my friends of many years took his own life after murdering his roommate for reasons nobody was ever able to figure out, but I don't feel that gives me any more right to talk about it than a statistician who studies it and has some insightful things to say about it but has no personal experience with it.

Anyway, thing about gun violence is that I always hear that you shouldn't talk about it after a tragedy like this happens, but, and this is an honest question, if not now, then when? You wouldn't hesitate to have a conversation about how on average, seat belts wont make a difference in your life, but statistically they save lives. You wouldn't hesitate to have a "drunk driving is bad" conversation after somebody plowed into a tree and died while drunk driving. Why specifically is it bad to talk about ways to cut down on gun violence?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Thanks for sharing Gary. This shit is scary and sad.

I'm not a fan of guns, but I'm even less of a fan of mucking up a thread like this.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
wow so many words just to answer a question not directed at you AT ALL. who said you were hunting? the other guy did. NOT YOU. also you can justify owning guns how you like, i prefer to be on the other side of the atlantic though, with a lot less nut jobs with easy gun access around (also visible in the "death by guns" category, but hey, AT LEAST YOU HAVE FUN*, right?)

*till your kids find them and do something you'll gonna regret (happens quite too often)
1. I thought this was a public forum, I didn't realize only questions directed specifically towards me were allowed to be answered. I apologize for breaking your rules.
2. Sometimes I hunt, sometimes I don't, but when I do hunt, I use a gun that is legal for hunting with in my area. Not an assault rifle.
3. I am glad you are on the other side of the atlantic and you feel safe there. I'm not sure if you are implying I am a nut job or not, but all of my guns are owned legally, registered, and I've passed all the required background checks to own them, so I don't think I'm nutty.
4. My kids shoot guns with me. They understand the dangers of them, they understand how to use them safely, and they also know how to disassemble and clean them properly, just like they do their bikes. I'm not worried about my kids.

Do you do puzzles with your kids?
Ride bikes with them?
Teach them how to use the dangerous kitchen in your home?
Allow them to help mow the lawn?

At the end of the day a gun is no different than anything else, you just need to be educated about them.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I agree with the thread being about Dave Mirra. If not a gun, he would have found another way. Chronic depression is no joke, particularly coupled with something as debilitating as CTE.

But I disagree with the "you don't have a right to talk about guns if it hasn't personally effected you" idea. It's effected me on a personal level after one of my friends of many years took his own life after murdering his roommate for reasons nobody was ever able to figure out, but I don't feel that gives me any more right to talk about it than a statistician who studies it and has some insightful things to say about it but has no personal experience with it.

Anyway, thing about gun violence is that I always hear that you shouldn't talk about it after a tragedy like this happens, but, and this is an honest question, if not now, then when? You wouldn't hesitate to have a conversation about how on average, seat belts wont make a difference in your life, but statistically they save lives. You wouldn't hesitate to have a "drunk driving is bad" conversation after somebody plowed into a tree and died while drunk driving. Why specifically is it bad to talk about ways to cut down on gun violence?
CTE scares the chit out of me. I've had concussions, it worries me to think that some day my brain might flip out like some of these guys have. I keep telling myself to just be smart and watch for warning signs.

I also agree 100% about talking about ways to cut down on gun violence, when people can have the discussion like adults and can realize that the gun does nothing on it's own and requires an operator to make the decisions. A gun alone can not harm anyone, no different than a knife, a hammer, a rope, or any other object (ie tool) that people use to do things.

Reading the article that ESPN did with Mirra's wife was interesting, gave some good insight into the battles that his wife saw him fighting. He's definitely one to be missed, it sucks it came to this, I'm hopeful that his family has found peace and that we as a society can continue to learn more about CTE so we can help others who may potentially be afflicted with this horrible condition.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
I also agree 100% about talking about ways to cut down on gun violence, when people can have the discussion like adults and can realize that the gun does nothing on it's own and requires an operator to make the decisions. A gun alone can not harm anyone, no different than a knife, a hammer, a rope, or any other object (ie tool) that people use to do things.
so can you explain again why anyone should be able to walk in a store and buy a ar-15?

Tim300wsm

sensitive teenager
Jul 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
so can you explain again why anyone should be able to walk in a store and buy a ar-15?
Not anyone can if you have anything on your record you cannot. I worked at a gun shop for four years and in that time I denied at least 100 people on top of the people who failed the background check. Most guns used for illegal acts are bought illegally. Straw purchases are a big problem. As are the way sales are conducted at some gun shows. Lots of guns are sold privately (no background check ) this is what needs to be controlled.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'm pretty sure if you're in mexico and you want to buy a piñata, you're going to get a piñata. That's pretty much how it is with guns in the US.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
Not anyone can if you have anything on your record you cannot. I worked at a gun shop for four years and in that time I denied at least 100 people on top of the people who failed the background check. Most guns used for illegal acts are bought illegally. Straw purchases are a big problem. As are the way sales are conducted at some gun shows. Lots of guns are sold privately (no background check ) this is what needs to be controlled.
seems like are really good working system you guys have over there /s

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
The rope the pin, whatever the fuck it's called, can be used to strangle someone. I'm sure this has been done in Mexico, but their press didn't make a big deal out of it.

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
1 - You actually checked on this?

2 - You're not trying hard enough.
The rope the pin, whatever the fuck it's called, can be used to strangle someone. I'm sure this has been done in Mexico, but their press didn't make a big deal out of it.
I was actually thinking of shooting somebody with the contents of a piñata. Hell, when I did jiu-jitsu, we even had a kata on how to inflict pain with a hair comb.

Now let's face it, an open carry policy for piñatas wouldn't even make sense. Try to take a concealed one with you and then let's talk. :rofl:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I don't profess to know all of the Gun Control laws in our country, but privately sold guns are not all allowed to be purchased with out a background check.

Certain guns (I know hand guns for example) require either a purchase permit (which you must apply for at the local PD) OR your CPL/CCW (which you've already been background checked and finger printed to obtain).

Long guns (in Michigan at least) don't require a purchase permit or background check to be purchased second hand. But do require a background check from the dealer.

I don't 100% know where an AR - 15 falls into play, but I thought that due to the way they're built they are classified as a handgun in Michigan, maybe I was wrong on that, I don't know. But you would either need a CPL/CCW or Purchase permit to buy used, OR purchase from an FFL/Dealer.

I have and plan to only purchase from the dealer, the idea of ending up with an illegal firearm that was stolen, used in a crime, illegally modified, etc. Isn't something I want to run into on the used market.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
shame this thread can't discuss Mirra, or concussions/trauma.

there is a WHOLE forum for arguing about gun laws, access, etc.
Agreed. Now back to the thread's original topic, I read somewhere someone was working to detect the "signature" of CTE in living brains. Something about the accumulation of a certain protein. I have to go dig. I'll post it if I find it.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
shame this thread can't discuss Mirra, or concussions/trauma.

there is a WHOLE forum for arguing about gun laws, access, etc.
Agree, it's a shame that people are still blaming the tool and not the operator. If Mirra wanted to be dead, he would have found a way to be dead, gun or not. Simple as that.

I'd rather we discuss CTE, the fears many of us have about potentially ending up in the same spot as Mirra, or Seau or Duerson or any of the others....

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Latino news channel 7 in Mexico.

Louise Hernandez, news anchor - With the rising rate of strangulation in Mexico, we decided to take a deeper look into understanding why and how this is happening. We found after 5 minutes of research that most are done with string that's the same consistency of pinata string.

With us tonight is Jose Rodriguez, director of Security, Alcohol and Pinata Council.
Welcome, Mr. Rodriguez. Can you please tell us what you, as director, plan on doing to stop these "strangulations by pinata"?...

Mr. Rodriguez - Thank you Ms. Hernandez, I'll gladly explain what we're looking into doing. We plan on limiting the strength of " assault rope" to 7lb. test string from 25lb. test rope so it will break with little resistance, thus making it harder to strangle someone with.

Louise Hernandez - Miguel Puentez, from the National Pinata Union is here with us today. Mr. Puentez, welcome. What's your thoughts on this matter?

Mr. Puentez - Yes, see, we as a union respectfully disagree with Mr. Rodriguez because there's 4 things Mexico is known for - pinatas, tequila, crossing the border illegally and TACOS! I kid, I kid about the border! Haha! Americans welcome us with open arms!

Ms. Hernandez - Sir, can we please stay on topic?

Mr. Puentez - Ok, I'm sorry. The issue at hand is the safety of our schools and neighborhoods. Last week alone 23 children were sent to the hospital due to falling pinatas! One which remains in critical condition at this time. There were 73 fatalities in 2012 and they've already tripled this year. By 2020, the number of DBFP (deaths by falling pinatas) is going to exceed the number of deaths by gun in our country. This is why Trek sucks balls for running an '03 ISCG on modern bikes. Seriously, who the fuck does this? This is why we're asking The Department to consider re-evaluating the string and consider going back to our 25lb. test rope.

Ms. Hernandez - Thank you both for being on our show. Channel 7 will keep you posted on any unfolding information on this hot topic. Tune in at 11pm for more details about this tragedy.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If not a gun, he would have found another way.
while true, firearms account for slightly over 50% of all suicides in the US (also just over twice the amount of the next leading cause of self inflicted death). so yes, it's possible.

however the kind of neurological impact on things like cognitive functions such as decision making as a result of CTE (and other forms of traumatic brain injury) is pretty well documented. impulsive behavior is one of those common issues. combine that with ease of access to firearms, and you can see why firearm suicide is the most common cause.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
a friend of mine committed suicide a few months back ran a hose from the tailpipe into the car we should ban cars now

make people pass background checks to buy a car
Feels like I'm feeding a troll here, so I'll make just a final statement: I think it takes significantly more effort to turn a car into a suicide machine than it takes to make a gun such a kind of thing. It almost feels like guns were designed to kill living beens while cars seem to be primarily designed as a transportation mean. Go figure...

/OT.

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
while true, firearms account for slightly over 50% of all suicides in the US (also just over twice the amount of the next leading cause of self inflicted death). so yes, it's possible.

however the kind of neurological impact on things like cognitive functions such as decision making as a result of CTE (and other forms of traumatic brain injury) is pretty well documented. impulsive behavior is one of those common issues. combine that with ease of access to firearms, and you can see why firearm suicide is the most common cause.
How many of those suicides could have been prevented if we had a slightly less dogshit mental health care system in this country? Take the methodology out of the equation and just look at the numbers, we've got a lot of people killing themselves in this country. Even people who can afford health care don't get it, that's quite a bit more embarrassing than the fact that their preferred methodology is a constant source of bickering.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I'm not trolling people make their own decisions and we don't know what they were thinking because they are gone
Fair enough. Plus I was thinking the gun policy in yoir country is a collective decision, pushed by a significant portion of the populace. I'm just an external observer in the best case. And while it hurts to see so many people getting killed by gun shots, it's a reality you guys consider acceptable, so I have no business there.

Now, back on track, I found another link on the early derection of Tau protein in the brain, but it looked just like a giant self promotion piece. The guy claimed we were 10 years away from being able to do it on living persons, but he didn't give any insight on which research path they'd take. The kind of speech you'd expect from somebody in need of extra funding to keep their shop open.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Feels like I'm feeding a troll here, so I'll make just a final statement: I think it takes significantly more effort to turn a car into a suicide machine than it takes to make a gun such a kind of thing. It almost feels like guns were designed to kill living beens while cars seem to be primarily designed as a transportation mean. Go figure...

/OT.
Anyone can go kill themselves with a car right now, there are more licensed drivers in the US than gun owners. They can drive off a bridge, into a lake, a tree, or shut the garage door and start the car, hose isn't even needed, regardless millions of people have access to a car to do that right now. Easily.

To go buy a hand gun I have to drive to the gun store, pass a background check, potentially be put on a wait list while your background processes, register my weapon (though if you are driving straight home to kill yourself you could skip this step), purchase ammo, load weapon, do the deed.

Sorry, doesn't look like either one is a whole lot more effort than the other.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Anyone can go kill themselves with a car right now, there are more licensed drivers in the US than gun owners. They can drive off a bridge, into a lake, a tree, or shut the garage door and start the car, hose isn't even needed, regardless millions of people have access to a car to do that right now. Easily.

To go buy a hand gun I have to drive to the gun store, pass a background check, potentially be put on a wait list while your background processes, register my weapon (though if you are driving straight home to kill yourself you could skip this step), purchase ammo, load weapon, do the deed.

Sorry, doesn't look like either one is a whole lot more effort than the other.
You have to pass some checks to buy a car too. Please do some more effort if you are trying to equal a tool to a gun, a machine specifically designed to kill or inflict serious injuries. I do believe the checks should be more strict in both cases though. If you have to money to buy a Lamborghini, it doesn't mean you have the skills to drive it. The same applies to assault rifles. However, as I said above, this has more to do with culture than with the access to guns. In Switzerland for instance every male between 18 and 45 is a member of the National Army. They do take their gear home, and twice a year go on training maneuvers. Yet you don't see many mass shootings happening there.

Oh, and the last time I checked, there weren't many mass killings where the weapon of choice was a car.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
kickstand you've been PWN'd

Give it up and post something about Mirra (or possibly CTE). No good can EVER come from idealistic the pish you're spouting about your STUPID little tool.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
You have to pass some checks to buy a car too. Please do some more effort if you are trying to equal a tool to a gun, a machine specifically designed to kill or inflict serious injuries. I do believe the checks should be more strict in both cases though. If you have to money to buy a Lamborghini, it doesn't mean you have the skills to drive it. The same applies to assault rifles. However, as I said above, this has more to do with culture than with the access to guns. In Switzerland for instance every male between 18 and 45 is a member of the National Army. They do take their gear home, and twice a year go on training maneuvers. Yet you don't see many mass shootings happening there.

Oh, and the last time I checked, there weren't many mass killings where the weapon of choice was a car.
What checks must one pass to purchase a car? There are not any that I am aware of in the US. Just like a gun, you must be licensed to drive the car, but you can purchase a car easier than a gun.

There are no age limits like their are on a gun. Anyone with money can legally purchase a car.
You don't have to have a license to purchase a car. I've bought over 30 in my life and have never been asked for my license to purchase one.
You don't have to pass a background check to purchase a car.
Yes, you have to insure it, register it and have a license to legally drive it, but nothing prevents anyone from buying a car.

You also have to have a license (to conceal carry), register your gun (to remain legal), to use a gun, but you have to pass background to purchase it.

A mass killing is defined in the US as 5 people or more. A man just mowed over 10+ bicycle riders not far form my house and killed 5 of the bikers and injured another 5-10 more......Should we also ban everyone from owning cars?

I 100% agree with the underlined portion.