Quantcast

Day 1 of the first annual women's downhill clinic with Tara Llanes

Awesome. I met so many cool ladies - and Tara couldn't have been nicer and more helpful.

So let's get right to it:

Here's me and Turnergrl getting ready to go

Tara giving the setup speech

next we pedaled over to a grassy area and practiced track stands. then we did some drills over little logs. Here's Tara showing us how to do it

then there was this lil kicker

which Turnergrl nailed

and here comes mudgirl

on to the HUGE drop! TG:

AND HERE'S THE MONEY SHOT! (YEP, THAT'S ME)

and the some instruction at the table top

Mudgirl!

ME

Then at long last we went to the "top" and rode down some actual trails! There are very few pics because it POURED and it was very dark - and everyone was moving to fast. So here are the only 2 we have and of course they are of team upside down pig. And thanks to TreeSaw - we couldn't have done it without you ;)

me

TurnerGrl

Yadadada in the grassy switchback

And what MTB event would be complete without the swag!

Thanks to Tara and all her sponsors (Giant, Troy Lee Designs, Gatorade and anyone else I missed) and TreeSaw and HER sponsors (elete, Terry, Luna and anyone else I missed) and DownhillMike and the staff at Whiteface!

Group shot!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Sweet! MBC - you really look like you had great form while riding that stuff!!! So you went with the ML after all huh?

Time for a Supermoto now!!! :monkeydance:

All of the mudhunnies present look totally badass!!!

Hope you have drier trails and even more fun today!!!

Frickin' sweet. So is there another day to this?
It was a one day clinic offered on two days so today's clinic is a whole new group of ladies. I'm sure TreeSaw will have pics from today :)

It was really cool! Did I say that yet? :D

oh and MMcG - yeah, long story but the ML won! In fact, Tara won the national championship on a 6" travel bike - she doesn't even ride the big boys! HA!

dirtrider2

Chimp
Jan 22, 2006
nam bomber
That looked like lots o' fun! How was the mountain???? Jen, you still think you won't make it to Whiteface again this Summer...hmmmm? ;^)

Dave
Silver Instigator

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
I would bet that Jen & the others will be back.
We would like to thank all the women for coming to Whiteface, camping at my place and just taking part in the clinic.
It was great finally meeting all of you.

Downhill Mike
www.downhillmike.com
Size does matter!

Y

yadadada

The Clinic was awesome, and Tara really was a great instructor! I had a blast and it was great to finally meet a bunch of fellow monkeys! I wished I could have stayed to ride Saturday, but my cold just had the best of me.

All of Treesaws photos are online here http://www.flickr.com/photos/di5308/sets/72157600708887251/

you can all download full size pics.

Thanks for everything Tara, TreeSaw, Downhillmike and Whiteface!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
WOOT!!!!! What an AMAZING weekend!!! I really can't even begin to describe the feeling! Tara is such a wonderful person and completely exceeded any expectations I could have had for an instructor. She embodies everything I enjoy about biking and is so much fun to hang out with.

Tara & I had a great time enjoying the hospitality of all of the Whiteface staff. We were all treated like rockstars (they even washed our bikes and got them all ready for day 2 while we were doing the raffles). Tara & I had some great discussions about how well everyone did at the clinic and she was stoked to see how supportive and determined all of the women were and how far they progressed over the course of the day. :clapping:

I personally want to thank DHMike, his staff, all of our sponsors: Troy Lee Designs, Giant for Women, Giant, Park Tools, Gatorade, Terry, ProGold, LUNA, Smith Optics, Elete, and EMS for all of their product donations. The schwag and raffle prizes were AMAZING and I sincerely hope that everyone enjoys them all.

That being said, I am ready to plan the next clinic and expect twice as many mudhunnies to come out for the good time!!!

(Day 2 pics will be up soon) :D

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
It was a one day clinic offered on two days so today's clinic is a whole new group of ladies. I'm sure TreeSaw will have pics from today :)

It was really cool! Did I say that yet? :D

oh and MMcG - yeah, long story but the ML won! In fact, Tara won the national championship on a 6" travel bike - she doesn't even ride the big boys! HA!
You sure it's not 6.7"??? ;)

The clinic looked cool. :clapping:

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
WOOT!!!!! What an AMAZING weekend!!! I really can't even begin to describe the feeling! Tara is such a wonderful person and completely exceeded any expectations I could have had for an instructor. She embodies everything I enjoy about biking and is so much fun to hang out with.

Tara & I had a great time enjoying the hospitality of all of the Whiteface staff. We were all treated like rockstars (they even washed our bikes and got them all ready for day 2 while we were doing the raffles). Tara & I had some great discussions about how well everyone did at the clinic and she was stoked to see how supportive and determined all of the women were and how far they progressed over the course of the day. :clapping:

I personally want to thank DHMike, his staff, all of our sponsors: Troy Lee Designs, Giant for Women, Giant, Park Tools, Gatorade, Terry, ProGold, LUNA, Smith Optics, Elete, and EMS for all of their product donations. The schwag and raffle prizes were AMAZING and I sincerely hope that everyone enjoys them all.

That being said, I am ready to plan the next clinic and expect twice as many mudhunnies to come out for the good time!!!

(Day 2 pics will be up soon) :D
Awesome! I have goosebumps. Cheers to everyone invovled and participating!!

TreeSaw you rock most fiercely!!!!!!!!

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Great job!! Sounds like everyone had a really good time and learned a lot. Hopefully made some new friends too.

I attended a women's DH clinic at Big Bear (the last year they were open to DH) with Jill Kitner and Lisa Sher shortly after I started DH'ing. I was pretty pumped up about it, and eager to try new things... ended up in the ER with a class 2 A/C separation. Glad nobody got hurt at your clinic!!

BTW, I had a really great experience at my clinic as well, right up to the point that I crashed. :)

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
A big thanks to Treesaw for organizing this, and to Tara, who is a phenomenal instructor! Also to Downhill Mike for hosting the event :clapping:

It was great to put some faces to screen names and just plain being able to ride with other WOMEN!! Everyone was really supportive of each other and we had a great time. Some of that stuff was downright scary to me, but as MBC told me, you have to try new things in order to get better! So, I will definitely be working the new things I learned here on the "home" trails.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
A big thanks to Treesaw for organizing this, and to Tara, who is a phenomenal instructor! Also to Downhill Mike for hosting the event :clapping:

It was great to put some faces to screen names and just plain being able to ride with other WOMEN!! Everyone was really supportive of each other and we had a great time. Some of that stuff was downright scary to me, but as MBC told me, you have to try new things in order to get better! So, I will definitely be working the new things I learned here on the "home" trails.
Try new things huh? You did an AWESOME job!!! All of the ladies were rippin' it up!!!

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Besides the world class instruction Tara was a true sport.
Our shuttle bus is normally equipped with a trailer to tow the bikes.
We wanted to get the bus up the mountain a little higher for the clinic, and the only way the bus can make it up the service road to mid-station (880 vertical) was to take the trailer off and put the bikes inside the bus.
When we do that there is 1 seat that's let's just say not the most comfortable. Tara immediately volunteered to take that seat.

Downhill Mike
Whiteface Mountain Bike Park
www.downhillmike.com
Size soes matter!