Quantcast

<>***<> Day after Tuesday and before Thursday<>***<>

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Wouldn’t the move be to be on the jury then? Who are you fucking over by allowing the accused to be tried by a jury of retirees who still think “the pot” is a gateway drug?
You mentioned a judge who threatened to hold people in contempt for expressing a view on drug laws.

That's dumb because they might genuinely hold those beliefs. That was my only point.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I'm not accustomed to lying when asked questions in court...
You can believe drug laws are bullshit and still be an impartial juror. Most drug arrests involve some form of constitutional rights violation, your bar as juror is “beyond a reasonable doubt” if you doubt the legitimacy of the search, well there you go. You’ve been impartial and not allowed your distance for the law to cloud your judgement of the facts of the case, facts which likely point to police misconduct as a key factor in the enforcement of the law.

Worth noting the people the judge was admonishing were fairly clearly just trying to line they thought would get them out of jury duty. So they seemingly were okay with lying under oath in a courtroom.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I’m kind serving on a jury in a sense on Aug 15. State’s witness.

in other news I remain at sea level. Coos Bay —> Cannon Beach tomorrow. Will stop in Newport for lunch en route tomorrow.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
You can believe drug laws are bullshit and still be an impartial juror. Most drug arrests involve some form of constitutional rights violation, your bar as juror is “beyond a reasonable doubt” if you doubt the legitimacy of the search, well there you go. You’ve been impartial and not allowed your distance for the law to cloud your judgement of the facts of the case, facts which likely point to police misconduct as a key factor in the enforcement of the law.

Worth noting the people the judge was admonishing were fairly clearly just trying to line they thought would get them out of jury duty. So they seemingly were okay with lying under oath in a courtroom.
No - what I'm saying is that the prosecutor asked a question of me and I answered honestly and that got me booted from the group. I actually wouldn't mind at all serving on a jury... I'm just not going to lie about my views to get on one.

Trying to get out of jury duty by lying is a dick move.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Got there at 0815, prospective jurors dribbled in until 0850 we were supposed to be there at 0830. then for an ADA accommodation we had to wait for a court reporter to show up and link her machine to a deaf jurors phone. Then we watched a video. must have been 200 of u in the room. Finally they called off the names of 2/3 of the folks there. I was not one of them. After they left we sat for another 15 minutes then got dismissed for the doing our duty and showing up.

Now I have a half day off work. Got to get the camper ready to head out Friday and do an EMT standby all weekend. Gonna bake some bread. maybe go for an evening ride to boot

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Same here. Half way through my book already, waiting for something to happen.
Update: Darkness took me. I’ve strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheel overhead and everyday is as long as a life-age of the earth.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Update: Darkness took me. I’ve strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheel overhead and everyday is as long as a life-age of the earth.
Day one concludes. Based on today’s empaneling experience, if it should ever come to pass that judgement need be reckoned upon me by a jury of my peers, I’ma Thelma and Louise my ass off the nearest cliff instead

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I’m kind serving on a jury in a sense on Aug 15. State’s witness.

in other news I remain at sea level. Coos Bay —> Cannon Beach tomorrow. Will stop in Newport for lunch en route tomorrow.
We very much enjoyed lunch at Local Oceans Seafood in Newport. The rockfish Italiano was *chef's kiss*.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
We very much enjoyed lunch at Local Oceans Seafood in Newport. The rockfish Italiano was *chef's kiss*.
Local Ocean is indeed where my googling-fu had told me to go. good to know your experience is in line with that of anons.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Can confirm, that place is great. The small coffee place nearby was also the place to go for breakfast after we came back from sea.
BTW: Rogue brewery is on the other side of the bay.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
This is very similar to how I respond to each and every single one of these.

"1 million, and I'll even throw in the furniture."
i saw someones insta reel....shitting on the housing market....on a house in upstate ny that sold for 300k...was gutted and renovated and relisted for 1,250,000....

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Kart and misc items at the trailer up the street. Still not sure if the trailer will fit in our pit space with the ramp down and pop-up. Worst case we just keep it closed and set up a normal pit. On-site trailer will be very helpful.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
My riding buddy, who is a county sheriff, was shot by a deadbeat and lost two fingers. He was responding to a DV and the dude started shooting. He's gonna be OK but I don't know which fingers he lost. He's lucky to be alive!

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Hey man, what’s your Spanish Nick-name? Or is your name easy enough? Mine is terrible.
My name “translates” pretty much. One of our guides in Oaxaca had the same name as me, spelled the same but with the vowels pronounced in a more Spanish way.