Quantcast

Death to Cheaters

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
We have become a culture of instant gratification in every aspect of our lives so be prepared for much worse.

Last edited:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I read this and Joe's Trail in Waterbury comes to mind. Feathers and Tar for all those bastids!

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
We had this in Berkeley with one of our "off map" trails that local PD didn't mind. A lot of people rode it, but still illegal. But... come take my little fun, that I have left in place so that you, the masses can ride my trail, and I will make this trail my own. You don't like the 10ft roller tabletop so you scrape the lip off? Fine I'm making it a 15 ft gap double.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Not really. Mostly middle aged dirt roadies. At least the ones I've seen/heard.
I had meant to quote @StiHacka with that. Was trying to be sarcastic. But yeah, I agree with you I think it's us middle aged pricks who are the entitled ones. When confronted with our own mortality some of us have jumped onto the fitness bandwagon with both feet. And nothing can get in their way, not even bouldrrs on a natural trail.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I had meant to quote @StiHacka with that. Was trying to be sarcastic. But yeah, I agree with you I think it's us middle aged pricks who are the entitled ones. When confronted with our own mortality some of us have jumped onto the fitness bandwagon with both feet. And nothing can get in their way, not even bouldrrs on a natural trail.
I didn't necessarily mean the millenials. Everything in the US is set to maximize instant gains this week, this month, this quarter. I personally blame the boomiest generation. ;)

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Mountain bikers fucked up the first jumps we ever made because they were too hard 25 years ago. A portion of people in a rich kid sport like this will always be entitled. Private trails on private land is the only real solution I can see.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Mountain bikers fucked up the first jumps we ever made because they were too hard 25 years ago. A portion of people in a rich kid sport like this will always be entitled. Private trails on private land is the only real solution I can see.
Or just make "natural feature" jumps so big nobody who isn't a DH rider riding trail would see them. I was discussing this with @Nick a few weeks ago. I have a buddy who is a really good all around rider, but started as such, not DH. He can generally keep within sight on DH, but after my more gravity rebuild of the Yeti new lines are open and even with his WAY better fitness I can now drop because of being able to take downhiller lines. He made a really good point: you just see terrain and lines differently which leads to riding differently. It's not how to I get through this rock garden, it's how do I skip it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Or just make "natural feature" jumps so big nobody who isn't a DH rider riding trail would see them. I was discussing this with @Nick a few weeks ago. I have a buddy who is a really good all around rider, but started as such, not DH. He can generally keep within sight on DH, but after my more gravity rebuild of the Yeti new lines are open and even with his WAY better fitness I can now drop because of being able to take downhiller lines. He made a really good point: you just see terrain and lines differently which leads to riding differently. It's not how to I get through this rock garden, it's how do I skip it.
once my crew almost went to jail circa 2006 we started building way more stealth. we used the natural lay of the land to build big features that didn't look like big features.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
once my crew almost went to jail circa 2006 we started building way more stealth. we used the natural lay of the land to build big features that didn't look like big features.
Slight sculpting of a water bar can send you into orbit at the right speed. Placement of a rock packed in "miles" away from anything else can turn it into a long gap. It's all about knowing how to use your terrain.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Slight sculpting of a water bar can send you into orbit at the right speed. Placement of a rock packed in "miles" away from anything else can turn it into a long gap. It's all about knowing how to use your terrain.
in a few spots we built berms, we took to building the base out of stone then filling the gaps with quikrete before covering it with dirt.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Timely, as I picked myself up off the ground after eating shit in a rock garden because I went too slow, and even wagon wheels can't save you from that, some guy rode up and started blabbering about the trailing being nice, but "way too rocky". No sir, the trail is great, has the perfect number of rocks, and you need to learn how to ride. I apparently, also need to learn how to ride, but I don't let my lack of talent ruin my enjoyment of wast coast rawks.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Timely, as I picked myself up off the ground after eating shit in a rock garden because I went too slow, and even wagon wheels can't save you from that. He started blabbering about the trailing being nice, but "way too rocky". No sir, the trail is great, has the perfect number of rocks, and you need to learn how to ride. I apparently, also need to learn how to ride, but I don't let my lack of talent ruin my enjoyment of wast coast rawks.
next time someone says a trail is "too rocky", respond with this

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Nobody ever considers trails that were built by riders that suddenly have North Shore skill level stunts in the middle of a obviously XC trail. As I dismantle them the builders often feel the need to confront me and make threats towards me in the presence of their friends. I always afford myself the opportunity to teach them a hard lesson as their friends ride away...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Nobody ever considers trails that were built by riders that suddenly have North Shore skill level stunts in the middle of a obviously XC trail. As I dismantle them the builders often feel the need to confront me and make threats towards me in the presence of their friends. I always afford myself the opportunity to teach them a hard lesson as their friends ride away...
Stunts everywhere is the opposite of what we're talking about here.