Quantcast

Debonair? Junk?

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Don't disassemble a stuck down shock ever @Electric_City , that's a recipe for killing yourself right there. You either need to air it up and unstick it or take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

There's a couple hundred psi stuck on the negative side if that's the case and piercing that outer o-ring won't release it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Don't disassemble a stuck down shock ever @Electric_City , that's a recipe for killing yourself right there. You either need to air it up and unstick it or take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

There's a couple hundred psi stuck on the negative side if that's the case and piercing that outer o-ring won't release it.
I've never had a stuck down RS shock but the fox shocks used to do it constantly. I never had an issue taking the can off. You're fighting against it pulling up. I guess there's a danger of punching yourself in the face when it breaks loose but that's a benefit in my mind.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I always just stuffed a rag through the eyelet in the shock. That way when it shoots off, it doesn't hit me in the throat, nuts or my kitchen window.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Yeah but I assume if you're asking on the internet, you're not necessarily familiar with where all the bits are about to fire.

Put a good thick rag through the eyelet, remove that outer o-ring with a pick and then use your strap wrench to turn the outer air-can clockwise while pulling away from the adjusters/reservoir end toward the rag.

She will go bang and the outer air can will fly off.

@kidwoo newer air cans with larger negative air chambers will fire off more vigorously than the older style fox ones that would classically stick down back in the day. At least in my experience.

Last edited:

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Bla, bla, bla... piercing that outer o-ring won't release it.
That's what I wanted to know. Thanks.

Should I stand at the end of the shock (obviously without a rag thru the eyelet) when I shoot the video, or have the 100+ year old grandfather clock there? Let me know ASAP. A video is on the way!

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Did you give the advice given by @FarkinRyan and @dcamp29 a try?

(...)

You should be able to unstick the shock by airing it up to high pressure and forcibly extending it. If you can unstick it, set it back to your riding pressure, equalize it and (...)
Try to get the shock un-stuck-down by pulling the seat up from the wheel to extend the suspension. You need to get the main air piston back up to the bypass dimple. Putting more air in might help extend the shock also.
(...)
That's the usual way to go, pump up the positive chamber so the two can equalize again and try to release the pressure slowly again. Worked at least 3 times with stuck down shocks for me.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Anyone have actual opinions about how the new Deluxe and Super Deluxe air shocks work? Contemplating my metric options for frame purchase over the winter...

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Anyone have actual opinions about how the new Deluxe and Super Deluxe air shocks work? Contemplating my metric options for frame purchase over the winter...
My Super Deluxe feels pretty awesome so far. But I've only had it for about a week and I typically don't have issues with bike parts, so who knows?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Pretty good. Like most RS products, the comp damping adjustments could be better but there's no reason to kick one out of bed.

If you have a choice, I'd probably get a dhx2 instead.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
Pretty good. Like most RS products, the comp damping adjustments could be better but there's no reason to kick one out of bed.

just curious- what would you like out of the comp adjustments? That goes for everyone in the thread- I want feedback on Deluxe/SuperDeluxe good/bad/whatever.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
just curious- what would you like out of the comp adjustments? That goes for everyone in the thread- I want feedback on Deluxe/SuperDeluxe good/bad/whatever.
A better blowoff/softer shims/more functional preload on the ls compression stacks.

A visual

SD.jpg

I've ridden one RC3 a ton and only have limited time on an RCT. But the RCT still felt like most of the RS stuff I've owned. Not much compression damping and then within one click, you're partying in rigid town with no way for your Camaro to break through the crowds, even though you can just hear the guitar solo over the horizon.

The RC3 I had just reminded me of all the monarchs (pre wizard tune). Ideal is always somewhere between the open and middle settings on the lever.

And serious question: Does anyone, ANYONE, actually like that 3 position shit in lieu of real preload adjustments?

Last edited:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Have a Super Deluxe R on a new bike and there a 0 miles on it. It makes a faint squeak towards the top of travel. Assume it's a typical thing because it's an air shock.

Probably will replace it regardless of how ok it is. New bike has a flat leverage through half it's travel which means dicking around with bands and other junk to make the shock work better.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Preload refers to the preload on the spring above the compression shims.
I know what you were referring to. Thanks though.

The point is why they don't give you real compression adjusters. Preloading the valve with 3 position switches sells bikes to the ignorant masses like crack. Wow, this is so plush in the parking lot AND it has a lockout! I've died and went to heaven!

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
-Make the air valve replaceable, else it's going to bite you guys down the road.
-Countermeasure is dumb, pls remove.
-Increase neg air volume.
-Make air sleeve kits cheaper, they are retardedly expensive. Also please tell the Taiwan peeps to include the main air can o-ring (the one that really seals the air can to the eyelet) in the kit.
-WHY 7wt? Should have gone with 3wt, meh.
-Get rid of the RL dish design, sucks.

Other than that, they seem to be working well and we haven't seen weird shit in our service center yet.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Did I mention how "playful" and "poppy" it is in the open setting?

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
So kinda like a pike. I had to run lower pressure and moar tokens to get it right, but it was pretty good once I did that. I like my 36rc2 better tho.

I have an 11-6 to swap on for man-biking. The air shock is for stuff that doesn't merit using the coil. I could swap in a topaz for same cost though.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
One of the larger name suspension tuners who happens to have a dyno, informed me that the compression adjustments on that shock do practically nothing. not surprising for a RS product. The floating pistons also scored the walls in another of their products. The guts are pretty crappy compared to everyone else, using a PPM production model, due to the volume they produce you can see the quality compared to the rest and it's bargain basement stuff. Almost every tuner who's put these shocks on a dyno has something negative to say from what I've seen. I'd run anything but a RS shock these days. Even the 'value' brands are probably on par with what RS is doing.

Can't meet tolerances on a glyd seal like everyone else on the planet? blame the seal, and get SKF to make you a dynamic rubber seal to account for the lose tolerances you can achieve! Nevermind that planes have a million lbs of weight resting on the same seal design, must be the seals fault.....

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I will say that tuned, it's excellent. I actually prefer it to my coil for a lot of things, due to the awesome support craig dialed into it. The 3-pos lever is a LSC adjuster does something now and I can run it "full hard" which is at least as "hard" as the middle stock setting, yet it blows off like butter for the sharp hits comparatively. Not a fair comparison though. I'll say that on my E29, it was pretty damn harsh, on my RFX it was definitely better stock, but I had to run around 35-37% sag to get decent compliance. After tune, it's back at 30% sag and much better performance than stock. I wouldn't buy one just to tune it though, I'd buy a DPX2 or float X2.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Has anyone spent any time on the Fox DPX2? It seems to tick a lot of boxes, at least on paper. 3-position compression adjuster, with seperate preload adjustment for the open setting.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
real compression adjusters adjust preload

You seem to think that what you and I are talking about are two different things.
Shim preload adjusters are for HSC. The needle bleed adjusters are for LSC. They're both as real as steel, but do different things.

I find the bleed adjusters to be more useful for myself. I also think most riders are best off with only external low speed damping adjustments, with high speed/shim preload adjustments as an internal adjust/revalve feature.