Quantcast

debut of 2013 specialized enduro 29er

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Looks like they've avoided the short rider/ wagon-wheel atrocity by not even making a size small!

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I almost wonder if they're stealing some of SCB's thunder if in fact their rumoured new bike is a 29er enduro rig.

EDIT - interesting that they're running a chain guide with the new XX1 set up.

Last edited:

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
I almost wonder if they're stealing some of SCB's thunder if in fact their rumoured new bike is a 29er enduro rig.
we introduced the Tallboy LT eleven months ago. CG and Nathan Riddle (and others) raced enduros and super D with it.

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Sniped by dan-o regarding the XX1.

As for the Tallboy LT, I'm sure in capable hands it's a fine bike for practically any racing format. And while I am loathe to assign hard and fast geo numbers to respective bike catogories, I was under the impression that most "enduro" bikes were fairly slack, and had around 150mm of rear travel. The Spesh Enduro 29r is signifcantly slacker than the Tallboy LT (by 2*) and has 20 mm more rear travel. To me, enduro is basically a series of slightly scaled down DH races with some XC pedaling in between the DH sections - so why not ride something that excels going the same direction as Newton's apple but you can still pedal to the start gate without too much suffering? But again, there is certainly room for interpretation as to what an "enduro" bike should be.

And FWIW, I'd be stoked about a 650b Blur LT.

Last edited:

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
After testing Scott Genius with 650B wheels and 150mm travel I would love a Enduro with 650B. But 29" no, not for me.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
can anybody with a specialized bike tell me how the cables under the bb hold up? it looks terrible, but they keep doing it, so it must work, right?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
eh? they look like goons but the rear end looks pretty non-reactive. Maybe not Dw-link magic that keeps your BB higher than it starts out with so you can pedal through rockgardens at double-pro-yaw angles, but I don't see a lot of monkey motion back there. Specialized also appears to have finally figured out that putting the pivot below the chainring isn't the best option.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
can anybody with a specialized bike tell me how the cables under the bb hold up? it looks terrible, but they keep doing it, so it must work, right?
My Enduro and Reign X have had never had notable problems. Once had to re-ziptie the rear brake line as it wasn't staying put.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I personally think it's pretty damn stupid. I have lots of issues with it. The cables take a beating. Are they running the shift cable down the underside of the chainstay? That's my biggest gripe, I'm constantly having my chain eat through the housing.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I personally think it's pretty damn stupid. I have lots of issues with it. The cables take a beating. Are they running the shift cable down the underside of the chainstay? That's my biggest gripe, I'm constantly having my chain eat through the housing.
Giant and others have routed it through the chainstay to the RD.

Internal cable routing is getting popular even on MTBs now.

Last edited:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Agreed. Bike looks awesome and like it would be a blast, but the cable routing is atrocious.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Agreed. Bike looks awesome and like it would be a blast, but the cable routing is atrocious.
They have the internal chainstay routing on the Stumpjumper but I guess they didn't make any changes from the 26 Enduro - its still external. It has more circuitous path than Giant's

Stumpjumper has it:

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I don't get why people are so hung up on 15mm... its not there to replace 20mm, its there to replace 9mm, and that its done. Its pretty damn stiff, its a way more secure setup then 9mm, and I have no problems hucking my meat on a bike with a 15mm axle. People who get hung up on it are nutterbutters

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I don't get why people are so hung up on 15mm... its not there to replace 20mm, its there to replace 9mm, and that its done. Its pretty damn stiff, its a way more secure setup then 9mm, and I have no problems hucking my meat on a bike with a 15mm axle. People who get hung up on it are nutterbutters
Yeah, that's the line that a lot of people seem to be repeating, but it doesn't make sense to me. I don't want to sit here and get into an argument over stupid stuff, but the reason people are getting hung up (as you say) is that if indeed you were looking to replace a 9mm qr w/ a through axle qr type thing, there's no real reason to not use the existing 20mm standard. If given a choice, particularly among the dh/50mm stem crowd, people would just opt for 20mm and enjoy the peace of mind and compatibility rather than a new standard to save 30g and create some new thing to think about. Instead a new tweener size was created that looks a lot like a new way to make the new stuff incompatible with your existing.

The one saving grace is that it's relatively easy to go between 15mm and 20mm for many newer hubs where it's a matter of changing axles or endcaps.

Also, I don't know what this proves, but you can get a Revelation with a QR in 2013. Not quite dead yet:
http://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/revelation-rct3

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Been on a stumpjumper for a year now. In that time, my front der. housing got smashed by a rock and my rear brake hose was torn loose and kinked pretty badly when a stick went into the loop and then into the rear wheel.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Would this be in a "similar" league?? HA is slack (67.5), but the wheelbase is significantly longer (448 in slack mode)... Nice bike the Prime is but the spesh seems like a killing machine

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Been on a stumpjumper for a year now. In that time, my front der. housing got smashed by a rock and my rear brake hose was torn loose and kinked pretty badly when a stick went into the loop and then into the rear wheel.
You are in luck, the Enduro 29 has an even lower BB than your bike - 335mm - same as the EVO SJ 29 but with more travel. The Enduro 26 is actually over a half incher higher (351mm).

Last edited:

bholwell

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Would this be in a "similar" league?? HA is slack (67.5), but the wheelbase is significantly longer (448 in slack mode)... Nice bike the Prime is but the spesh seems like a killing machine
As a Prime owner, I've also been wondering how similar the two bikes are. The wheelbase actually seems very similar between the two (1184mm L Prime, 1183mm L Enduro). BB height is also similar. So, imho, these are the 'pros' for each bike (again, just my opinion):

Enduro:
- More travel (10mm more up front, 20mm more in the rear)
- Shorter chainstays (18mm or 0.7" shorter)
- Crabon front triangle (for you weight weenies out there)

Prime:
- Adjustable geometry (I really prefer the steep setting for more XC rides. Front end wanders a bit on steep climbing in the slack setting, which is very similar to the Enduro's geometry)
- Ability to run a 150mm rear hub (better bracing angle for the large hoops)
- Threaded BB (I've been through many press-fit BB bearings- not a fan)
- It's not a Specialized ;-)

The Enduro does look like a killer bike, though.

9k for the sworks complete is pretty steep. I may spring for the frameset and buy the roval wheelset. Not a fan of the componentry on the rest of the spec.

But i will hold out until april to see what the new offering from SC will be. Also hoping for a Pivot long travel 29r or 650b.

Last edited: