Quantcast

decisions, decisions,

jimbones

Chimp
Oct 19, 2006
I am going to be up in NE this summer and need advice on which places are best for intermediate riders. I am no expert, I will be near Sunday River, Highland and Attitash. Which is best for wimps like me! ;)) I am an older rider biut enjoy the DH experience. I usually ride Diablo and Killington. Thanks,

jimbones

Chimp
Oct 19, 2006
Bump,
wow 162 views no responses... Out of the three how would they rank in terms of difficulty (hardest being #1) Thanks:rolleyes:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I'm not sure if you are asking about racing or general riding, but Highland is a must for a fun day or weekend of runs; it's also a nice contrast if you are used to Diablo.

mullarks

Chimp
May 9, 2008
Of those 3, I have only ridden Highlands. It has a good mix of trails from beginner to advanced and they are all really fun. Definitely spend a day or 2 there.

jimbones

Chimp
Oct 19, 2006
I'm not sure if you are asking about racing or general riding, but Highland is a must for a fun day or weekend of runs; it's also a nice contrast if you are used to Diablo.
Not racing, just put for fun. Like I said I don't need to kill myself, but I want some challenge.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Not racing, just put for fun. Like I said I don't need to kill myself, but I want some challenge.
As a fellow wimp, I had a great time at Highland when I was there. If you're shy away from jumps/drops, there are go arounds for pretty much everything, as well as a lot of good skills sections to work on your comfort level. Nothing super-tech, although "Threshold" has some sections that I found a bit hairy. Overall, well worth the trip.

jimbones

Chimp
Oct 19, 2006
As a fellow wimp, I had a great time at Highland when I was there. If you're shy away from jumps/drops, there are go arounds for pretty much everything, as well as a lot of good skills sections to work on your comfort level. Nothing super-tech, although "Threshold" has some sections that I found a bit hairy. Overall, well worth the trip.
Thanks. Like i said I've been riding a while but am out for fun. I have 2 nice rides (Balfa bb7 and a Titus SuperMoto) Can't wait to get out and RIDE!! Thanks again.:thumb:

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Definitely Highland. Although both Sunday River and Attitash are closer to me, I always ride Highland.

SR's got some good stuff if you know where to look, but there's also a ton of flat/uphill crap that just becomes frustrating after a while (cue all the SR 'hardcore' dudes to call me a p*ssy).

Attitash is fun, but it's more challenging and rough than Highland. Again, finding fun, flowy trails is a little difficult here.

At Highland, every trail is great, and you can work your way up to the hard stuff over the course of a day or two.

Have fun,

JP

jimbones

Chimp
Oct 19, 2006
Definitely Highland. Although both Sunday River and Attitash are closer to me, I always ride Highland.

SR's got some good stuff if you know where to look, but there's also a ton of flat/uphill crap that just becomes frustrating after a while (cue all the SR 'hardcore' dudes to call me a p*ssy).

Attitash is fun, but it's more challenging and rough than Highland. Again, finding fun, flowy trails is a little difficult here.

At Highland, every trail is great, and you can work your way up to the hard stuff over the course of a day or two.

Have fun,

JP

OK SR and Highland it is. I am not too keen on Attitash based on your comment. BTW it sounds like SR is like Killington with some XC sections. I don't like it but I can deal with a little bit of it as long as it doesn't consume every trail. My Titus can climbv pretty well. But the main reason we go to these places is to go downhill!!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I would basically echo the above comments. I haven't been to Attitash or sunday river, but based on what I've seen and heard, SR is more like Killington in that it has some rocky rooty and awesome trails, but they aren't necessarily all downhill. They are doing some work this year which may change or improve that.
Attitash looks pretty technical, lots of roots and rocks. They might be open mid-week, but I'm not sure. I have been meaning to get up there for several years now but I get stolen away by other bike parks, like Highland.
Highland doesn't offer a lot of variety but it does offer extremely well made trails and berms as far as you can see. Some of the drops are commit or die, but many of the newer ones are safe to the point where you can roll them blindly with no skill and not wreck. The facilities are top notch and 75% of the stunts are also extremely well built, as in safe and smooth. I would argue that it's not a genuine DH hill, but rather a bike "park". Think more like diablo and less like plattekill, for a classic comparison. It doesn't have a lot of vert nor a lot of trails but each trail does have a lot of though put into it.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
OK SR and Highland it is. I am not too keen on Attitash based on your comment. BTW it sounds like SR is like Killington with some XC sections. I don't like it but I can deal with a little bit of it as long as it doesn't consume every trail. My Titus can climbv pretty well. But the main reason we go to these places is to go downhill!!
Def. bring the Titus out to Highland.. short travel FR/AM/SS bikes are a lot of fun there.

Highland doesn't offer a lot of variety but it does offer extremely well made trails and berms as far as you can see. Some of the drops are commit or die, but many of the newer ones are safe to the point where you can roll them blindly with no skill and not wreck. The facilities are top notch and 75% of the stunts are also extremely well built, as in safe and smooth. I would argue that it's not a genuine DH hill, but rather a bike "park". Think more like diablo and less like plattekill, for a classic comparison. It doesn't have a lot of vert nor a lot of trails but each trail does have a lot of though put into it.
Couldn't have put it better myself, Facilities are def. top notch. It's refreshing to goto a Bike Park that is basically just for bikes, not just to make some money in the off-season(not to knock any other mtn).

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Def. bring the Titus out to Highland.. short travel FR/AM/SS bikes are a lot of fun there.
damn true....I had more fun on a borrowed bullit than my sunday or brooklyn. The sunday is smooth out there but there aren't enough rough/fast sections (except for threshold which is a killer) to need a full on DH sled....especially one that's heavy