Quantcast

Deep rims for commuting/distance riding

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Ok so Im back...sorry I dont know a whole lot about roadies but Im trying to learn...today its deep V's lol

So I understand the basics, wheels with deeps profiles cut through the air but also act as a sail for crosswinds. Hypothetically stiffer and stronger but heavier. I wont lie I do love how they look (I know, a horrid reason for wanting them) but I figure I could really benefit from them as well

Im thinking about throwing a set on a carbon endurance road bike and would like to hear some suggestions/advice. I want them to be strong and stiff, but not weigh a ton (I know I will have to take a slight weight penalty) Im not racing just long rides with the fast sprints here and there (I like to get places fast but also go on long rides) no racks or anything just me and the bike on these wheels every other day or so, to work, events, etc

How deep can I go? Ive been eyeing a set of 60mm's but I wondering if thats gonna be overkill? Should I look at carbon or aluminum? I know I def want clinchers.

The HED Jet C2 and Flamme Rouge wheels caught my eye. I have heard good things about the C2, strong/stiff, durable, not the lightest but nothing rediculous, and their profile deals well with crosswinds.

The Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL's also caught my eye but I dont kno much about them

Last edited:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I had some Velocity Deep V's laced to Phil Wood hubs built up for my roadie. 50mm deep, clincher, strong, stiff, etc. Plus they come in a multitude of colors. Not the lightest wheelset (lighter than my previous one...but I'm 6'7" 250 and put my wheelsets through hell) but it's definitely a bombproof setup. Just did a 120 mile ride two weeks ago...going to be doing a 200 mile, one day ride in a couple weeks too. Zoom Zoom.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
You realize that the 3 wheelsets you listed are all well over $1K and the HED wheelsets are nearly $2K right? I wouldn't choose any of these for commuting...

Go with the Velocity Deep V's, they will work a lot better for the kind of riding you have said you're interested in.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
:stupid:

But, if you're going to spend some serious cash I would also look at the new Zipp carbon clincher and the Reynolds wheels. My Zipp 404 tubulars held up well during last cross season.

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I hear ya, I can get parts for cheapish tho somI figured ask. I was going with the thinking of if I am buying a carbon bike then I have no excuse to skimp out on a set of nice carbon wheels.

I will def check out the velocity as well now, how much does their average built set weigh?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
I hear ya, I can get parts for cheapish tho somI figured ask. I was going with the thinking of if I am buying a carbon bike then I have no excuse to skimp out on a set of nice carbon wheels.

I will def check out the velocity as well now, how much does their average built set weigh?
Grabbed my 36 spoke (yes...36 front and rear...bombproof) Velocity Deep V's laced to the Phil Woods for less than 750 from prowheelbuilder.com (I think it was 775 or 780 shipped). Order placement to my door was around 3 weeks (they had to wait on the hubs...).

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Grabbed my 36 spoke (yes...36 front and rear...bombproof) Velocity Deep V's laced to the Phil Woods for less than 750 from prowheelbuilder.com (I think it was 775 or 780 shipped). Order placement to my door was around 3 weeks (they had to wait on the hubs...).
Wow, Deep V's to Phil Woods? Nice!

For everyday riding, I would opt for something like this. Zipp, Hed, etc are nice, but I think they would get too beat up just tooling around town.

But hey, if you can swing the cost, then more power to you.

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Is this like the CX bike you wanted to build up to huck off of loading docks?
lol naw man I came to my senses with that. No hucking, jumping, grinding, flipping, whatever haha just some good ol'riding. Ill be riding a wide variety of terrain from long flats, to some pretty steep climbs. Urban to country, smooth and cobble-esque areas. No racing just long hauls with fast sprints.

Im just wondering if there are any deep wheels out there that would fit on a daily ridden endurance bike

Last edited:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
lol naw man I came to my senses with that. No hucking, jumping, grinding, flipping, whatever haha just some good ol'riding. Ill be riding a wide variety of terrain from long flats, to some pretty steep climbs. Urban to country, smooth and cobble-esque areas. No racing just long hauls with fast sprints.

Im just wondering if there are any deep wheels out there that would fit on a daily ridden endurance bike
The Deep V's fit these conditions perfectly.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Just got a set of edge 45 clinchers for my road bike (used for commuting and longer rec rides, anywhere from 40 - 100 miles in SF and around the bay area). Pricey but I got a kick-ass deal. Only a few rides so far, but I'm impressed with the stiffness and (lack of) weight. Climbing is great and they do seem to keep momentum/slice through a nasty headwind better than my topolino's and open pros. Crosswinds are definitely noticeable - Golden Gate Bridge anyone? - but not too sketchy. I'm optimistic so far.

splat

Nam I am

so this isn't you :)

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
haha I wish I had that skill, I suck on an actual trials bike so I dont think a carbon roadie would be the best thing for me to do trials on.

And yea I openly admitted I do also just love how deep wheels look, but I would like to gain some actual performance as well.