Quantcast

Denver area winter mountain biking

stflood

Chimp
Oct 6, 2008
Where is the closest place to mountain bike near denver in the winter? Talking 5" bike.

Thanks

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
Most stuff will be snowed in much of the year in the foothills. Denver is at 5300' but the Front Range trails are 6000-9000', which is enough of a temperature drop to keep snow on them. There are sections that are covered with trees or north facing, lack of sunshine will keep the snow around too.

But some do dry out. Green Mountain is pretty much treeless so its open most of the year, but I use my HT on it. Mt Falcon drys out fairly fast, nothing super technical but a good long climb.

There is no guarantee. Some years the snow sticks around all winter, some years I have rode all winter. Denver winter weather is pretty random.

stflood

Chimp
Oct 6, 2008
cool, thanks...what about the outdoor denver skate park?

Also, are there any good rideable spots within a days drive that you could recommend?

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
cool, thanks...what about the outdoor denver skate park?

Also, are there any good rideable spots within a days drive that you could recommend?
Yeah, Bacon Boy(SSs) is correct, Grand Junction/Fruita is dry for a lot of the year and only 3.5 hours away. Pueblo stays pretty dry, its 2 hours south.

Its best to hit some of those over a weekend; but you can drive to Pueblo, ride and head home in 1 day.