Quantcast

dependable wired ethernet router

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Ok...a friend of mine was just hired to work remotely for a customer service job and is in need of some technical expertise that I couldn't possible dream to offer up, so can someone help him out? Here is the pertinent information:

the company will be sending him a proprietary computer system that he'll be required to network with his existing system, both to be used at the same time online while handling calls from home. He doesn't know how to network computers, but from what he's read, the physical connections are fairly straightforward, but many of the router brands have mixed reviews on the net, like d-link and linksys.

can you wonderful people recommend a dependable router? it MUST be wired, not wireless. it MUST be an ethernet router.

THANK YOU!!!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
If he's worried about a router going out and needing to get back online quickly... just buy two of anything, know how to configure it, and he's set. They're not a lot of money. I have a backup at work just in case.

Also, get a UPS.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
If it has to be reliable and its for business use I'd suggest a business class router, Cisco might be a good place to start. I've got a D-link router that has wireless capability but I've only used the wired ports (because it was cheaper than the non wireless equivalent.) Based on my singular experience I'd recommend D-link as a wired router. As far as wired connections go I think the consumer grade stuff is all about the same, most of the gripes I've seen with routers including D-link are with wireless routers when used as such. Most of them do seem to give up the ghost at about 2 years for no apparent reason, wired or wireless.