Quantcast

Deraileur Cables....why? Zee Deraileur, breaking cables.....

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
lol i dont think there were housings in there.. i think he just said f*k it and put the normal cable housing through
drunkenly fished it out with long needle nose pliers haha

he doesnt care about noise as much as i do
fishing that shit through that bike was the worst build ever, thank god I loved the way it rode or I would have smashed it with a sledgehammer.

I ended up having to use a vacuum and a string to get it started.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I have noticed a trend of snapping cables when clutches came out, but lately I have been snapping deraileur cables pretty frequently as has my wife.

2015 V-10's, zee short cage....It hasn't been on one particular derailuer, I usually put a new one on both bikes each season, we have about 5 or 6 spares just in case, etc. It's been a fairly common theme to snap cables on them. This past weekend I broke 3.

1 thing I have noticed is the lower limit screw tends to get mushroomed over time and allows the derailuer to move too far down on the cassette, I also don't run in the lowest gear at all times, so you're obviously relying on the cable to keep the derailuer in place.

Thoughts/questions:
Am I doing something wrong? Seems pretty simple and straightforward, but could I be setting something up wrong?
Are there any other suggestions for a DH derailuer that have a more stout limiting screw, there for relieving tension on the cable when running in the lowest gear?
Any other set ups or designs that are less prone to this? (I've seen it happen with many other derailuers to, so I doubt it's derailuer specific?)
Any super cables out there?
"A buddy of mine brought his wife's bike over the other day describing the exact same problem. shimano shifter and derailuer, xt I think.

It was user error and I had it working in 5 minutes."

Take it to a reliable shop and let them fix it for a couple bucks.

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
"A buddy of mine brought his wife's bike over the other day describing the exact same problem. shimano shifter and derailuer, xt I think.

It was user error and I had it working in 5 minutes."

Take it to a reliable shop and let them fix it for a couple bucks.
So the improper working clutch and the known issues aren't a factor?

I'm not exactly sure what your point is here

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I have X9s and they are snappy derailleurs. I get about 2 months of hard riding, or 4 months of easier, before the cable snaps, but it always snaps (frays first) in the exact same place.
Same here on x9, but also my unridabru x0 type 2 (Thx @Udi , will go checking the screw tomorrow) does it occasionally.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Had the same issue, determined that the problem is that the cable gets frayed against the groove that you run the cable to the fixing bolt. A little tape has cured my problems.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Had the same issue, determined that the problem is that the cable gets frayed against the groove that you run the cable to the fixing bolt. A little tape has cured my problems.
My 10 year old suggested that, I scoffed and said it will never work. I'll apologize to him.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
So the improper working clutch and the known issues aren't a factor? I'm not exactly sure what your point is here
I think his point is that you should pay the shop to replace the cable regularly. Probably get them to lube your chain and pump up your tyres while they're at it, I wouldn't recommend doing hard jobs like this yourself.

:D