Quantcast

derailleur - upgrade

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Ok, I'm tired of mediocre derailleurs, or at least the ones I have, SO........

what would be a good solution, how or why, and does anyone have 'em used!!!!;)

or where can I get 'em...

I'm tired of Shifting problems......

I like the rapid fire shifters as opposed to a gripshift..........

So :help:

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
I have XTR`s front and rear:) on my Bullitand my Xc Cannondale I have one XTR on the back and a pos stx on the front ( if it still works don`t fix it;) ) I will tell you why I like Shimano`s so much 1 they work very good:D and the warranty Dept rocks :D what more do you need oh yea 3 I never have a mechanical failure due to amnufacturing defects :rolleyes: and Steve Peat uses them:cool:

deroyo

French Monkey Instigator Supreme!
Jul 3, 2001
Not on my BIKE!!!
Another thing,it could be either your CHAIN or your RINGS or your CASSETTE that are worned out/shewed...
But the thing about changing any of the above,means changing all of the above at the same time.
But your tranny is more effiencient then...
I still use LX (I don't race) and when I upgraded my tranny, shifting problem was not an issue.
SHWIIIIING!!!:D

novice

Chimp
Aug 8, 2001
Madison, WI
if you want shifting performance, you shouldn't buy used. New stuff is crisper. And shifting performance is more noticable as you upgrade shifters, not derailluers, xt shifters with an xtr rear derailluer doesn't shift as well as a xtr shifter with a xt rear derailluer. My $0.02.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Originally posted by sirknight6
I'm tired of Shifting problems......
Go single speed! You had to know that was coming! ;)

Or, crazy as it may sound, hunt down a pair of friction thumbshifters. If you ride your bike enough, you don't really need index, you know where your gears are. Dirty cables, cable stretch, mud and muck in the drivetrain, it doesn't matter, you can still hit your gears with no problems. They are ultra reliable. I have a pair that came w/ a bike in 1994. I estimate they have around 10,000 off-road miles on them and they are still running fine.

K

kitchenware

I run XT. I've ran XTR before, but XT is half the price and works very well. Granted the XTR rapid rise kicks arse, but I'll still buy XT and spend my extra cash elsewhere.

Just my .02 :thumb:

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
I agree w/ running XT. There's not enough performance upgrade (if any) to justify all of the extra $$$ to make the jump from XT to XTR. In fact, LX will work pretty well for a lot of people - it definitely gives you a lot of bang for the buck.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I decided for the price and my riding habbits I went with a Shimano XT front and rear......

This does however pose a REAL interesting question.......

I have a Gary Fisher Marlin.....BUT;

What is it after all my upgrades to it:

Z2 Atom Bomb
Bontager Supper stock rims
XT drivetrain
Specialzed saddle?

genises geometry I know is the same on even the Hoo Koo E Koo,

but my upgrades are better then what come on even that bike..........

If it's no longer a Marlin, what is it? LOL!!!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by sirknight6
I decided for the price and my riding habbits I went with a Shimano XT front and rear......

This does however pose a REAL interesting question.......

I have a Gary Fisher Marlin.....BUT;

What is it after all my upgrades to it:

Z2 Atom Bomb
Bontager Supper stock rims
XT drivetrain
Specialzed saddle?

genises geometry I know is the same on even the Hoo Koo E Koo,

but my upgrades are better then what come on even that bike..........

If it's no longer a Marlin, what is it? LOL!!!

Gary Fisher Marlin-Supreme Super Duper Machine.........er something

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
...whatever. Most components are engineered to be used together (duh) so whatever you decide go complete package. (XT, XTR, SRAM 9.0, 8.0 ETC) Yu milk the most out of your investment. Also, be prudent with you maintanence. Small adjustments frequently will keep you happy with your rig. It helps to work in a bike shop and have access to quality tools and knowledge.:thumb:

Tracer_Guy

Chimp
Oct 27, 2001
Exeter, NH
XT derailleurs give pretty good bang for the buck. Supergo has some great deals on them if your lbs doesn't stock what you need. The XTR front is also a great piece-both guide plates move on this one, where on the XT/LX only the inside plate moves. I was able to dial in shifting much more easily with this setup.