Quantcast

Describing Beer

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
boostindoubles said:
Its strange to me how the same beer tastes different in a can than in a bottle than on tap. anyone else know what i'm saying? is it in my head?
not sure if this is totally correct, but it's my recollection that kegs aren't heat pasteurized, whereas bottles and cans are.

Any true player in the beer business doesn't work for a Micro brew company.
substitute "beer" for "music", and "indepedent label" for "Micro brew company" and you'll also see why i predominantly prefer small, interesting labels for my musical needs.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
narlus said:
not sure if this is totally correct, but it's my recollection that kegs aren't heat pasteurized, whereas bottles and cans are.
Except in the case of bottle conditioned beers. Pasteurization would kill the yeast giving you flat beer.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:

substitute "beer" for "music", and "indepedent label" for "Micro brew company" and you'll also see why i predominantly prefer small, interesting labels for my musical needs.
Or "cheese" or "bread" or anything else considered artisanal. Sure some of it's crap, but by in large I find the good stuff often comes from small, local producers. <shrug>

I don't really care what "players" do, I want to drink beer that I like.

And unlike "players" I usually drink one or two beers in any one sitting, not "all night."

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
scurban said:
...stuff...
Fair enough I guess, we can just not agree. You seem to equate being a "player" with economic success rather than producing a quality product, and I don't really agree with that (for beer, music, movies, bikes, or pretty much anything else), and you also say you associate fine beer drinkers with frat boys, which is pretty ridiculous: You will see frat boys hunched over and puking regardless of what they are drinking. (But hey it's your head, feel free to associate as you please.) And seriously, if you choose to drink lower alchohol swill just so you can drink it all night, you might have a problem. I mean, try having a glass of water after every couple of beers...

Whatever, to each his own. And sorry if calling you "son" was offensive but you really sounded like a youngster back there...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
scurban said:
I guess we can agree on a few things
Yeah, but we also disagree on a lot and like you said that's ok too. I understand that you make your living in the beer industry but even still, you should able to admit (to yourself, if not here on RM) that economic success often has very little to do with the quality of a product. It's all opinion anyway, but to me quality is not defined by net sales. Anyway cheers, and thanks for leaving the good stuff for us beer snobs!!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
scurban said:
Ummmmmm... I'm drinking a Coors Light right now, it tastes like Ice cold Rocky Mountian Water, with a hint of Bananna's and Hazlenuts. Its fantastic!
I taste water with a hint of rice and hops. :)

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
BeerDemon said:
a beer like Fat Tire
Damn, I really want to try Fat Tire (despite the sucking on pennies comment). Can't get it East of the Mississippi though. Does anyone want to be nice and send me some?? You'll be my favorite monkey and I'll love you forever. I'll even send you some kickass eastern beer :thumb:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
bluebug32 said:
Damn, I really want to try Fat Tire (despite the sucking on pennies comment). Can't get it East of the Mississippi though. Does anyone want to be nice and send me some?? You'll be my favorite monkey and I'll love you forever. I'll even send you some kickass eastern beer :thumb:
Just so you feel better:

IT'S NOT VERY GOOD. You're not missing anything.

:p