Quantcast

Desert 100 Odessa, WA (motorcycle related)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Well we had a few riders....

Lets play "where's Rhino?" (PS- I am in the picture)

All the club galleries from the event.

http://stumpjumpers.smugmug.com/Desert100/155991

No official number but I have heard ~650-750 racers

About 2,500 poker runners on Saturday

PLUS, all of the spouses, kids, dogs, etc that came to that little piece of heaven.

Rained Sat left the kids race(afternoon) and the lagging pokerrunners (morning) all wet and cold. It poured Sat evening and that made everyone hold off until Sunday morning to sign up delaying the start for 1.5 hours. No dust and very little mud (only in a few spots) Perfect racing conditions (I don't like dust).

I dragged bikes out of the "shallow" creek crossing all day sunday (My fat back to you all)

I was up to my tea bag in that water, and crawled up and down that bank most of the day. :)

Yep that bike stopped running shortly after this pic was taken. It needed to have all the water drained out.....like almost 100 other bikes (sometimes twice. It was a two lap race)

and rode sweep (basically I was a mobile radio looking for hurt/broken people and helping bikes get underway or get them back to camp) on Sat. :D

Yes I own a Ring dinger.

Rhino from WA

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Last pict - "I thought they **sputter** **cough** **glub** said this was a desert race!"

Thanks for the picts, Rhino! I assume that was Crab Cr. - - never thought it could get that big. By the looks of things, dust was not an issue this year.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
MinorThreat said:
Last pict - "I thought they **sputter** **cough** **glub** said this was a desert race!"

Thanks for the picts, Rhino! I assume that was Crab Cr. - - never thought it could get that big. By the looks of things, dust was not an issue this year.
I kept telling them guys to "STAY LEFT"

When that didn't work I told them to "walk it....it is alot faster to walk it across than to drain the water out on the other side" That seemed to get across to them :D especially looking out and seeing all the bikes upside down on the far bank.

Proceedure:
1) Pull seat (or side shroud)
2) Pull the air cleaner and wring the excess water out....hang on grip to dry
3)Remove tank (making sure the gas petcock is turned off)
4) Remove Plug
5) Turn bike upside down
6) while in gear, turn the back wheel to remove water.
7) Continue until all water is out (or oil drains out into your air box on the 4 strokes:rolleyes: )
8) Right the bike and reassemble in reverse order. Stopping short of putting the filter back in.
9) Kick bike over until it starts up
10) If it doesn't start up, drain the bowl on the carberator and close back up
11) Kick again
12) Fire up and run the bike until it cleans out (water is no longer grossly affecting the motor)
13) Install the filter
14) install the seat
15) pat yourself on the back
16) Get back in the darn race and hope you don't drown the bike again on the last lap.

BTW- electric start does not work with water in the cylinder either. :D

Note for non-motor ized people: Water does not compress nearly as easy as gas vapor and air. One guy actually cracked his cylinder wall trying to kick water thru a hot engine recently submerged in less than warm river water. :(

Crazy weekend.

Rhino

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
RhinofromWA said:
I kept telling them guys to "STAY LEFT"

When that didn't work I told them to "walk it....it is alot faster to walk it across than to drain the water out on the other side" That seemed to get across to them :D especially looking out and seeing all the bikes upside down on the far bank.

Proceedure:
1) Pull seat (or side shroud)
2) Pull the air cleaner and wring the excess water out....hang on grip to dry
3)Remove tank (making sure the gas petcock is turned off)
4) Remove Plug
5) Turn bike upside down
6) while in gear, turn the back wheel to remove water.
7) Continue until all water is out (or oil drains out into your air box on the 4 strokes:rolleyes: )
8) Right the bike and reassemble in reverse order. Stopping short of putting the filter back in.
9) Kick bike over until it starts up
10) If it doesn't start up, drain the bowl on the carberator and close back up
11) Kick again
12) Fire up and run the bike until it cleans out (water is no longer grossly affecting the motor)
13) Install the filter
14) install the seat
15) pat yourself on the back
16) Get back in the darn race and hope you don't drown the bike again on the last lap.

BTW- electric start does not work with water in the cylinder either. :D

Note for non-motor ized people: Water does not compress nearly as easy as gas vapor and air. One guy actually cracked his cylinder wall trying to kick water thru a hot engine recently submerged in less than warm river water. :(

Crazy weekend.

Rhino
And how many times did you have to perform this procedure?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
cove rider said:
And how many times did you have to perform this procedure?
Me personally only a half dozen times. There were guys volunteering all day to help the racers get their bikes going again.

I spent the day pulling drowned bikes out of the creek. There was easily over 100 bikes drowned out that day. I pulled maybe 75% of them out.

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
RhinofromWA said:
Me personally only a half dozen times. There were guys volunteering all day to help the racers get their bikes going again.

I spent the day pulling drowned bikes out of the creek. There was easily over 100 bikes drowned out that day. I pulled maybe 75% of them out.

Dang! did people dump there bikes a lot in the creek or was it just that high?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
cove rider said:
Dang! did people dump there bikes a lot in the creek or was it just that high?
There are 3 types of guys that dunked their bikes in the creek:

You have the "Faster is better" guy who thinks he can jet ski across the creek. He hits a rock with his front tire and dunks his bike at a fast pace.

You have the "I am going to idle through looking like a Pro, standing on my pegs all the way through" guys that find the same rock, flop slowly as they can't hold their bike up they give it a panic rev and then start making bubbles.

Then there are the "I am going to walk it across and be safe" guys that still find a way to fall over. :D

Sometimes I had 3-4 bikes dead from drowning in the creek waiting for me.

Slow and walking to the left of the crossing got you across safely and on your way. Any other way was a crap shoot....some made it regardless.....others, didn't. :cool:

You would think they would listen to the guy standing in the creek all morning watching how the last 50 guys drown their biles. lol

Rhino

The water was FAST in spots and DEEP in spots and if you weren't ready you ended up swimming after your bike. The deapest was about 28-30 inches deep (exiting the creek on the right side....so stay left) The bank came right down to the water so you couldn't see the 2 foot virticle bank under water. They would hit that and stop, kiss their fender and flop over because the water was deep and moving fast right there. :D

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
RhinofromWA said:
There are 3 types of guys that dunked their bikes in the creek:

You have the "Faster is better" guy who thinks he can jet ski across the creek. He hits a rock with his front tire and dunks his bike at a fast pace.

You have the "I am going to idle through looking like a Pro, standing on my pegs all the way through" guys that find the same rock, flop slowly as they can't hold their bike up they give it a panic rev and then start making bubbles.

Then there are the "I am going to walk it across and be safe" guys that still find a way to fall over. :D

Sometimes I had 3-4 bikes dead from drowning in the creek waiting for me.

Slow and walking to the left of the crossing got you across safely and on your way. Any other way was a crap shoot....some made it regardless.....others, didn't. :cool:

You would think they would listen to the guy standing in the creek all morning watching how the last 50 guys drown their biles. lol

Rhino

The water was FAST in spots and DEEP in spots and if you weren't ready you ended up swimming after your bike. The deapest was about 28-30 inches deep (exiting the creek on the right side....so stay left) The bank came right down to the water so you couldn't see the 2 foot virticle bank under water. They would hit that and stop, kiss their fender and flop over because the water was deep and moving fast right there. :D

Hahahaha some people can be kinda dum eh! I would have listened to ya if i was there:)