Quantcast

destroying hub threads on trials bike

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
I bought myself an almost new Monty X-Hydra 3 weeks ago, and i've had endless problems since! :help:
the 3rd day of riding, i did a wheelie up my friends driveway and the drivetrain felt like it was slipping
then 15 minutes later i'd managed to completely strip the thread from the hub (its a bmx-type hub, where the sprocket screws on)
so me isnt happy at all, i get the wheel rebuilt with a track hub, that has thread on both sides
first day of riding new wheel, stripped the thread after 4 pedal strokes
messed about with it, swapped sides and used the 2nd thread, and after riding about 400 metres i stripped the thread again!
AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH thats 3 stripped threads :mad: :angryfire:
wtf am i doing wrong!?! the first 2 times there was a spacer between hub and sproket, the 3rd i left it bare

i'm seriously frustrated now, all i wanna do is ride (well, hop) but every time i get on the bike i wreck it :(

has anyone has this problem?
and what do you reccomend i use? will a shimano DX hub work?
how hard would it be to tear up the internals of it? i can get one cheap, i just hope the ratchet is tough

i'm running a 21-12 combo right now, everyone i've mentioned this to reckons there's alot of torque with such a low gear, but what about track racers doing standing starts? the hub can stand that, but not a ride up the driveway?
i'm goin insane, help me please!
:crying: :confused: :help:

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
I would reccoment a profile cassette. Its a great hub and its really strong plus its completely and easily rebuildable. IF you have the money i would go for a Chris king rear hub , its the hub of choice among many trial riders and its the standard that everything is compared to.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
If you do get the Chris King get the Steel freehub body. What is your experience level and how heavy are you? Are you still on the brakes when you pedal kick?

I'm 200 pounds and I ride trials as well. I put a lot of load on my equipment and the only thing that I've been able to break is my chain. Be lite on your rear brake and throw your weight back rather than relying on your pedal stroke to lift up your front end. If you break as many hubs as you're talking about I seriously doubt that its the equipment, becuase the hubs your talking about are quality pieces, keep an eye on your technique.

pugslybell

Chimp
Jan 23, 2002
Durango Colorado
track hub has no ratchets to break it is fixed so no way to damge it also most track events have one lap slow start so they are not as consitently going off on there equipment. try the king, i know it is expensive but they are simply the best the profile is the second choice but i have had their pawls break. good luck and once the learning curve is over with the stuff lasts alot longer.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
thanks guys
i'm leaning towards the DX rear hub, mainly for the reason its very cheap and easily available to me

as for my style- i guess 90kgs pedalling 21-12 gear does have alot of force that'd wreck things
but, as i said... its happened only when riding somewhere, not when actually pulling moves of any kind! so pedalling on the flat is what kills it :(

track hubs are meant to take alot of force... i used to race track, and the amount of power a Kilo rider has is insane, imagine a standing start, how much force would be going through the threads, they have to be strong!

hmmm... this problem is plauging me, i might just go the DX. if it breaks, then save for a King hub

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I'm not sure if it'll make a difference, but cheap track cogs are often not as wide or made with the same quality threads as better ones, and can strip hubs. It might be the same for freewheels, though I have yet to find one with particularly narrow threading.

Also, is the "12 tooth cog" a typo, because I've never heard of a freewheel that small, and if that is what you have it certainly wouldn't fit on a standard hub. Are you running a track cog and a front freewheel? If so, see above about cheap cogs.

The other strange thing is that a 12t cog actually puts less stress on the hub threads than a larger cog, so it's pretty suprising that you're stripping it...

The last thing I can think of is to make sure you threaded it on cleanly and didn't cross thread or something.

Good luck

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
thanks for the help guys!
i've been running the DX hub for a week now, and its sweeeeet :D
i doubt i'll trash it, so now i can actually learn a bit more... but damn its hard to throw around my overweight body :eek: