Quantcast

Dh bike buying advice needed

KarenB

Chimp
Mar 31, 2004
London, UK
Hi guys,

I need some advice on buying my first dh bike. I've been riding all my life, albeit mainly commuting and some xc, but since being back at uni have joined the cycling team. Although i started out doing cross country on my rather inept marin, i have since been seriously bitten by the dh bug! Mainly due to riding at bringewood.

Anyway, if anyone can give me advice, or point me in the right direction (bearing in mind I'm still learning in the technical dept!), I'd be really grateful. I reckon i have a buget of 2k (for kit as well).

Cheers.
:)

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Best bang for the buck:Iron horse, specialized, giant. I think you'll be happy either way
:D

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I'd advise NOT buying a big DH bike with 8-9 inches of travel.

I find that lighter freeride bikes with less travel are much better for learning. For examble, a Cannondale Gemini could be a nice choice.

Big E

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Hell Paso Texas
yeah something with around 7in is primo for a first dh bike. the of bighit comps have 7.5 the 03 has like 6.2 or look for a used bullit. the are awsome bikes. can be built really light or really heavy. but you might look away from the something you can only fit a24 in the rear. and for a rear shock look for the fox vanilla rc. it is great to start out on.

Peace

downy

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
Annandale, VA
Truly the best bike to start out with for dh would be a hardtail like a .243 racing 4130. That frame can take a lot of abuse and is cheap for what you get. A hardtail dh bike will save a lot of money and you will learn to ride much smoother on a hardtail.

However, if you want a true dh bike right away, get one. Don't get a freeride bike with 7 inches of travel, get a true dh bike. It's not the lack of travel that I would be worried about, but the geometry. Freeride bikes are too short and will often get scary as you start going faster. A DH bike like an SGS (not a freeride one but a dh one with boxxer) will give you stability and a low price with a good amount of travel. I would get one of those if you insist on a full suspension.

pual

Chimp
Mar 20, 2004
Ontario, Canada
I agree with downy. Look at a DH specific bike (the Giant DH Comp's are awesome for the cash). Freeride bikes typically have shorter chainstays so you can pull up easier for big hucks and easier manuals. However at high speed they get sketchy like downy said. I would look at the Giant's.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i too have been bitten. i am ready for a new bike and was looking for advice. heres the thread i started in the lounge. some good advice and there seems to be three or four bikes that are pretty popular. hope this helps.

DH bike suggestions

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
if you are living in the UK our top value brands may be different than yours, I don't know for sure but I have a hunch. It seems like Orange is more attainable and cheaper in UK and they are simple elegant designs. For less than $2000 including riding gear you really need to be looking for used bikes, you'll get a much better bike as long as it's not totally thrashed.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i have an sgs i love it and beat he crap out of it. its an expert but it has an 03 junior-t on it makin it 7 and 7. strong bike and very inexpensive

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
I'm quite happy with my Cannondale Gemini 900. It's around $2200 retail. I'm a medium-sized female and like it since it can handle DH stuff but it's not too heavy. Not only can it maneuver well, but I can hold it on the chair lifts without dropping it to its death!

Zippy357

Chimp
Dec 19, 2003
Mountlake Terrace WA
Ironhorse sgs pro, great deal

2600$ (I think)

I wouldn't go any lower than that. It'll take a beating.

Also you might want to look into Transition (seattle based company), they build you a great bike for an even better deal. My friend (Ice Bulit) bought one last summer and hasn't had any regrets at all. he got his for 2600$ too.

dankk

Chimp
May 9, 2004
vt
i think the ironhorse sgsdh bikes are a great deal as well.purchased a 02 sgsdh(only had one model that year)from superho early in the season for 2k,the components alone that year were worth 2k!!has been a great bike for me,only prob with that year is the linkage which they now have addressed.i have seen e13 linkage update for the 03 sgsdh does anybody know about e13 linkage for an 02? :cool:

awholelota

Chimp
Apr 29, 2004
sf bay
i love my bullit. it's not a down hill bike, but 7 and 7 is just about good enough to do anything my friends' downhill bikes can do.

B

bigkonarider

1-where can/are you going to ride..Be realistic..
2- If you get a full-on DH sled....Are you going to push or shuttle...
3-Run a chainguide system & forget abour climbing on it because the front end goes everywhere & w/ the seat jacked up it's just impossible to climb..
4-I have a 50# Bullet & Monster-T & have HAD SEVERAL bikes ...Bottom line is..What part of the ride is going to make you happy & set your bike up for THAT & that only...
5-Don't compromise your setup for DH

Mar 30, 2004
Lexington, KY
i agree with what most of these guys have said. The ironhorse already comes stock with the boxxer with is a great dh fork, plus the bike itself is heavy duty. Id definately say the ironhorse sgs downhill.