Quantcast

DH Bike Suggestions in the COVID era

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Long story short, my boy has abducted my DHR and I would love to ride the local lift mountain with him.
I need a DH bike, but haven't really looked at them much for 4-5 years.

Suggestions for someting that is either;

a) Available to actually buy now
b) Something to look for used that is maybe 2-3 years old before PB marketplece goes bye bye.

For reference I love the DHR (DW link), especially after it got a 27.5 front wheel. It feels short compared to everything else I currently have, but it still goes good. :rockout:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Whatever someone is selling used local.
this, right now. if you look at clmmencal's website there's one flavor of their furious that's actually available...i'm mostly a sc fanboi but i'd give commencal a serious look if i was looking for a dh bike right now.

sc's recent generation reach numbers are better but i still wish my n4 was 10-15mm longer...

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Local sale FTW!

Picked up a brand new Demo with cushcore installed for a screaming deal. Good to see the baby blue Sloan color scheme lives on.

Full 29" for now, but I'm going to try and get my hands on the adjustable rear end at some point for mullet madness like the WC kids ride.

Looks like it was ridden once, maybe. Purgatory shakedown next weekend, if the thunderstorms allow. Time to dust off the full face. :thumb:

0725210731.jpg

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Local sale FTW!

Picked up a brand new Demo with cushcore installed for a screaming deal. Good to see the baby blue Sloan color scheme lives on.

Full 29" for now, but I'm going to try and get my hands on the adjustable rear end at some point for mullet madness like the WC kids ride.

Looks like it was ridden once, maybe. Purgatory shakedown next weekend, if the thunderstorms allow. Time to dust off the full face. :thumb:

View attachment 162612
That thing is good looking...
Nice set up....

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Holy crap, Speshy nailed this one!

Just some playing in the yard so far but damn, this thing is the real deal. Feels natural right off the bat, does not feel like 29" wheels or 37lbs, and pedals great.

Best iteration of the Demo I have ever ridden. I see why they dropped the "Demo 8" moniker, this thing is a completely different beast. Can't wait to get it on the mountain.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Holy crap, Speshy nailed this one!

Just some playing in the yard so far but damn, this thing is the real deal. Feels natural right off the bat, does not feel like 29" wheels or 37lbs, and pedals great.

Best iteration of the Demo I have ever ridden. I see why they dropped the "Demo 8" moniker, this thing is a completely different beast. Can't wait to get it on the mountain.
That's awesome , have to love when a bike feels natural...makes riding almost fluid...it just flows.

Cant wait to see pics and thoughts..

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I have found most of the 26" bikes are selling for around 1700-3500 these days, some are great deals. I picked up my evil undead earlier this spring, did a 275/26 mullet, and am very happy to have it as a park pounder. I think I probably have under 2g's into this one.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have found most of the 26" bikes are selling for around 1700-3500 these days, some are great deals. I picked up my evil undead earlier this spring, did a 275/26 mullet, and am very happy to have it as a park pounder. I think I probably have under 2g's into this one.

covid has definitely driven up the value on 26" bikes.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
In some cases yes and some i'd say no. Some folks wanted insane amounts of money for really shitty bikes. You just need to sort through the nutjobs, good deals are out there.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
That evil is badass BTW....

I got screaming deals on mine like said above you have to weed through the oddballs and dipsticks...
Even kais bike I built from scratch and it's an even better deal...

Prepandemic was easier for sure...seems SC and Yeti are gold here in socal...as where that mentality was reserved for ibis mojo hd bikes before lol...

No fox 40s and if so they are high prices, forks are getting stupid money...
I sold.my 2013 fox 40 $800 pretty quick....

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
It's good to see DH riding picking up steam again. My 13yo was all about Enduro riding/racing, until he went to his first lift park with a dual crown bike.

Now all he does is watch my old DH videos and talk about Sam Hill... :D
We downloaded Earthed 5 in the dark days of crappy satellite internet, and he is a SH fan for life!

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Thanks Man! Tons of sweat equity and parts I had laying around I thought I would never use. It blows my mind thinking about spending $6k+ on a new DH bike these days...Love a good deal.
No doubt, funny that even the current crop of DH bikes are running 10/7 speed drive trains. I have drawers of that stuff, I knew there was a reason to keep all those old road cassettes.:rolleyes:

Also good to see that PF BB's seem to finally be dead. Long live 83mm BSA!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
It's good to see DH riding picking up steam again. My 13yo was all about Enduro riding/racing, until he went to his first lift park with a dual crown bike.

We downloaded Earthed 5 in the dark days of crappy satellite internet, and he is a SH fan for life!

All my friends kids are in the same boat, they are old enough to ride w/ us and all had trail/enduro bikes. As of this summer most of them now also have used DH bikes to hit the parks.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
All my friends kids are in the same boat, they are old enough to ride w/ us and all had trail/enduro bikes. As of this summer most of them now also have used DH bikes to hit the parks.
at this point i'm keeping all my 26" stuff, as my son will be tall enough to ride them before he's 10. he's 6 now and already on 24" wheels.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

This makes me happy.

Corporate mtb marketing has created a lost generation.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved

I would tell this kid I can take better pics then offer him $3300 and email him the pics after.....
Pretty decent set up...those are like bike romance pictures...drinks his chilled Kool aid with cheesewiz and Ritz by candlelight polishing it

Good find ianjenn...
Buddy has that bike, waiting for him to get bored and dump it...
I'd offer $3k go to $3300 if he scoffs at that...he may take it...

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
After watching the first 1 minute I realized that bike is basically brand new......

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

I would tell this kid I can take better pics then offer him $3300 and email him the pics after.....
That almost seems so good and odd, that it must be true.

I assume the kid is 13 or 14 based on his username. Kind of fishy that he has not posted a single thing on PB, other than that strange video and this bike for sale. They also registered on August 18th 2020 and posted the add that same day.

Wouldn't his mommy like some of that cash back?