Quantcast

Dh Bike

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
I'm still looking for a Downhill bike, and i want to get one to have for the rest of the season. I got $1500usd, which is about $2200 Canadian. I'm 5'7/5'8 need a size small or medium. I've test rode a bullit, bb7, and giant dh, and liked all three. The bike needs to be complete for $1500, and 2002 or newer. Thanks

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
In your price range (well add $300) but it's well worth it!

http://www.supergo.com/Profile_Combo.cfm?LProd_id=25254&CFID=20863727&CFTOKEN=46309304

Get an Iron Horse SGS DH Pro and be done with it!

You get a good starter build list, beefy frame, boxxer front/swinger 4 way rear, and a brand new bike best of all.

I bought a used DH frame. I dunno if I'd take the used route again unless I knew the life of the frame and everything about it. It's hard to tell if it was "lightly used' or smashed around. I just saw some guy on Ebay selling a Karpiel which the bottom bracket is permently in the frame (JB welded profile cups), frame cracked at shock mount and the guy added a gusset, deep insert headset (probably ovalized the normal one). Sure he was selling it cheap but man that poor sap who buys that one is gonna be in for it.

I can't say or suggest anything better than the Iron Horse. They are unbelivable bikes for the price.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
i like the iron horse, but the problem is that even tho its only $300 more, i can't afford it, theres just no place for me to take $300 from

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
for $1500 complete you're going to have to settle for what you can find. The best deal is the Iron Horse and if that's out of your price range you're really going to have to compromise. Check the buy sell forum, ebay and if you're brave try the classifieds on MTBR. You'll find something the key is to just be patient, something like a '02 bullit with a super T or boxxer team would be pretty killer for the price. You may be able to find a Big Hit for around that price too. The most important thing is to know your stuff, if there's something in the description that looks out of place or if the picutre is just a little fuzzy it's probablly best to pass, especially with downhill bikes you really don't know what you're going to get. Your brand new used frame may crack riding it off the curb.