Quantcast

DH Scene in Montana

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
metalMTB said:
Sorry for making two threads about this but whats the riding like at University of Montana in Missoula? Lifts? FR scene?
I can't really tell you about the scene at the University specifically, but there seems to be a decent FR scene around Missoula. There are a couple decent DH shuttles or jump spots around Missoula, but no lift accessed riding close to town. There are alot of really fun trails around town, but they are mostly loops, out and backs, or XC.

I moved to Missoula from an area where I was doing alot of lift accessed riding/shuttled DH, and I was kind of disappointed. Big Sky Resort, near Bozeman, has some awesome lift accessed DH - it is around 200+ miles away. Other resorts in the 200-300 mile range with biking (that I know of) are Schweitzer and Fernie.

I bet Kanter will chime in soon, he knows alot more about Montana riding than I do - he should be able to give you some good advice.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
There are tons of shuttles around Missoula. Most are epic DH with short uphill sections. There are a lot of hidden FR trails, but they remain secrets because stunts are really frowned upon. Big Sky and Fernie are the only real lift access riding.

Missoula is mostly known for its XC and trail riding. I grew up in Missoula so I know a lot about the local trails and there are some real nice long epic DH trails within 20-60 miles.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Kanter, I'm going to contact you in a year or two when I move up there for college. Actually I might be able to ride this summer because I'll be near there. Where is Big Sky? Is that near Whitefish?

Also is Missoula a bike-friendly town? I don't like to drive everywhere.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Missoula is a very bike-friendly town. You can ride to a few trailheads from town.

Big Sky is 3 hours from Missoula. Fernie is about 4.5 hours from Missoula.

Oct 7, 2005
Bozeman MT
You can check out Big Sky Resort at www.bigskyresort.com. They've got their prices on this site as well. If anyone hasn't been to big sky for a while, it's worth the trip this year. They are putting some money into the DH scene this year! Last year they built a stunt section at the bottom and received a great response, so they decided to do more this year!

I'm 90% sure that they actually employ trail maint. personnel and there are quite a few folks who "live" on those trails building, and prepping.

We also have a race in august which had a 1500.00 purse last year. Not huge, but better than most.

Epic riding at big sky, and plenty of great trails here around Bozeman. If you want anymore info, lemme know and I'll help out with whatever I can!

Gary

Oct 7, 2005
Bozeman MT
Kanter said:
Ive got a 69 and 73. The 69 is for off road and racing and the 73 is my baby.
Good deal, I've got a 1972 half-cab pavement pounder myself! I head up to whitefish once in a while to hang with my buddy up there. He is the assistant manager a Les Swab tire store. Name's BJ. You, being into broncs, probably know the secratary at Les Swab. I can't remember her name right now, but she seemed to be pretty into the bronco scene. Anyway, I'm sure I'll see ya up there sometime.

Gary