Quantcast

DHX AIR rebuild and shim questions for people M0ar Smarterz than me

300hp

Chimp
Dec 12, 2009
Ok.
I have one dhx air in 200x57. After an unfortunate incident with a rock, the stanchion looks like it was a baby dinosaur's chew toy. After an unfortunate incident loaning it to another rider, there is air in them oilz.

I have one float rp3 in 200x57. It has always been "meh" at best, and a bottom out bandit at worst.

I am a consumer, so no one at fox will sell me a replacement part. Unless I send this to fox, or to push, I can't think of another way to build one, decent shock aside from cannibalizing.

First question: Will the stanchion from a float of equivalent length fit on a dhx air? I know the OD is the same because the air cans are interchangeable between them. They sure do look the same, but I don't want to crack the float open until I know, because then I'll have two dead shocks. I needs me a guru on this one.

Second question: Can someone point me to a pdf of the dhx air shimstack? If not, can someone tell me the id of the shims?

Third Question: any tweaks or mods I should do when I'm in there? (warped piston this, polish that, add a shim here ect) So far, aside from building it up with a mix of redline medium and heavy, and taking the time to ensure a proper bleed, I was going to throw a bottom-out bumper off a coil shock in there to take up some volume and end stroke rampz up and call it a day. With the regressive beginning stroke on santa cruz bikes, should I stiffen the stack off the bat?

The shock will be going on an APP santa cruz bike

thanks all

300hp

Chimp
Dec 12, 2009
Updating to help others, as I answered my own questions.

If you want to scavenge an air can and a stanchion off of an RP series shock to repair your DHX AIR at home, you can. The RP, RL and DHX air of the same size use the same part number for the stanchion, so they should be interchangeable. Note that the rubber pellet in DHX series shocks has not been pierced, and there is not an IFP in the stanchion, with the other air shocks by fox, there will be an IFP in the stanchion, and the IFP has been pierced to charge the nitrogen.

the 2008 series DHX air has a "shimstack" if you want to call it that, as follows [piston bolt] .600 x.377id x .010 thickness, .600 x.377id x .010 thickness, .700 x .377id x .010 thickness, .700 x .377id x .010 thickness [PISTON]

so, not exactly a beefy stack.

Hope this helps someone.
H.