Quantcast

Diablo 06/12/06

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
As I mentioned in the lounge last week, I had to cover a surgery in Philadelphia on Monday morning. Typically this means that I lose my Sunday to travel, and end up tired as hell (west coast to east coast and back in under 36 hours).:redhot:

So I figured I’d make a trip out of it and see if any of my buddies back east wanted to go to Diablo… well they already had a trip planned! So I got 1 day of DH fun in before heading down to Philly.:love:

My Buddy, who now lives in Hoboken, picked me up at Newark on Friday and we went to a party - but we took it easy since we were heading out early the next day.

I rented an Iron Horse Sunday… that was quite the different bike than my beloved Soul Cycle Titan (hardtail), but with all the new stuff that Diablo has built – I was happy to have it. Although now I want to return with my hardtail!

Anyway – enough blabbering… picture time!:clue:

First of all, I hear they have had a bit of wet season so far… and although the trails were pretty good, you could still tell:

One of the things I really LOVE about Diablo – the rocks!!! So much fun, although the IH Sunday seemed to soak them almost too easily... DVrider on the rocks:

As I mentioned Diablo has really stepped it up with building stunts. There are many spots all across the mountain that challenge and thrill. I didn’t do so well on some of the skinny stuff – hence no pictures. However our group sessioned the “progressive” for a while. It’s a set of 3 ramps that help those who want to step it up do so…:cool:

The Small:

Medium (Turnergrl):

The large:

There are a LOT more pictures from this section, but my favorite is below. It’s my favorite b/c Turnergrl was nervous about the middle drop (even though I know she’s done bigger:D ) early in the day. But once she got the feel down for the trails she just kept ripping it up. At one point DVrider and I stopped to grab a quick bit to eat while the rest of the group (who had already stopped to eat) kept going. We are on the lift heading back up and who do I see coming down the trail but Turnergrl, so I grab my camera out of my bag just in time to catch a birds-eye shot of her taking off the middle without hesitation!:trophy_br

The save of the day went to DVrider off of his first attempt on the middle bridge. His take off looked good, but he was just a bit too slow and landed awkward. However he managed to keep control… to the surprise of all of us:

:eek:

Although the day was generally a great day there were a few minor crashes; DVrider took a nasty spill on Exodus, but escaped relatively unscathed. Then we came upon the creek crossing with a log to ride over the creek:

:ouch:
He was OK (although he did a great impression of the Silver Turtle) and took a more conservative route after that:

As I mentioned earlier the Iron Horse Sunday I rented was great. I felt completely comfortable on it the entire time and never had a doubt that the bike could handle what I was throwing at it… and I threw some stuff at it like the Porch drop and “Dom’s Denial”:

View from above Dom’s (random riders):

And how better to end a long day of hard riding:

View from DVRider’s condo:

And then it was time to head home under a bright full moon, which I did not capture on film, but this ended up kinda cool anyway:

I definitely have to go back, still need to hit “road to no where” and the “flume” drop… plus re-learn those damn Skinies!!!

In the mean time I am back in the land of no lift access...:bomb:

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
Thanks for the AWESOME pics as usual Boomer...and always a pleasure to see and ride with you. Now get yerself back over to the East Coast so we can do this all over again...and maybe this time I'll make it off the big Progression, the Flume, and <gulp> perhaps even the Porch Drop? :help:

Seriously, can't wait to get back to Diablo and hope to see you back this way soon!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Wow thanks for some real pics from diablo i havent seen much from there. I am going to see if i can make it out that way very soon, I ride snowshoe alot, but diablo seems like a totally different gig.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Wow thanks for some real pics from diablo i havent seen much from there. I am going to see if i can make it out that way very soon, I ride snowshoe alot, but diablo seems like a totally different gig.
Diablo has really stepped it up. When I was there in October of '04 (see link below) they only had the table tops and a few small stunts. Granted the table tops are huge (for me), but the addition of the new drops really adds to the fun. Plus they have added stuff (and are still adding more) for those who don't want to just do big drops.

The other thing that I like is the drops/jumps are well designed, not like the crap that took me out at Mammoth...

Oct '04 trip: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100883&highlight=vacation

aus_taz

Chimp
Jun 14, 2006
Dave fell on Exodus coming down a wet rock towards a small bridge at and angle, slid and missed the bridge.

I stitched together a collection of shots you took.

There are also good pics from the porch drop on the diablo site news - click for rider galleries.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Nice! I'll have to teach Dave to take multi-shots with my camera - I'd love to have that one of me on "Dom's" as a series!

Great meeting ya, hopefully I'll get back out there this season.

I checked out the rider gallery on their site - none of me

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
TurnerGrl said:
Dang Boom, I know I saw Shawn snap a shot of you off the Porch.
There are pictures where you can see you in the background watching other riders do it, and then nothing of DavidD or myself.

That's OK though - the pictures he did get are not all that great and he wants $20 for them...:rolleyes:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
great pics. i love diablo. when i was there i went from doing a 4' drop max to hitting the flume and porch drops. it is amazing how much i progressed. the first 2 pics are of deliverance right? that trail was so washed out, all i heard going down that trail was *ping* *ping* *ping* *ping* from all the loose rocks bouncing off of my wheels. :dead:

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
this is a part of the trail Ripper.

nice shots btw. sorry i missed going to diablo that weekend.

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
gnurider1080 said:
great pics. i love diablo. when i was there i went from doing a 4' drop max to hitting the flume and porch drops. it is amazing how much i progressed. the first 2 pics are of deliverance right? that trail was so washed out, all i heard going down that trail was *ping* *ping* *ping* *ping* from all the loose rocks bouncing off of my wheels. :dead:
Awesome, Gnu! Sounds like you are progressing at warp speed! :thumb:

Depending on my fatigue factor I might have stepped it up a little more if I stayed a second day. I was second-guessing not having tried some of that my whole drive home! Dunno for sure...I was wiped out on Sunday. But that could have been from lack of sleep Friday night, early departure Sat AM, ride all day, jump in truck and drive back thing. But at least being able to do it as a day trip got me down there in the first place! :D And I've had split luck on riding better vs. worse on Sunday depending on how much of a beating I took on the first day down there. My worst crashes have definitely come on Sundays there...

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
TurnerGrl said:
Awesome, Gnu! Sounds like you are progressing at warp speed! :thumb:
thanks. my progression was definitely helped by some of my friends who motivated me to hit those drops. once i got my confidence up i just felt so good riding, although im still wary of most of the bridges and skinnies, went otb off of a bridge on otb(what a coincidence!). went too fast up the rock and the front wheel dropped off the bridge on the other side, i tried to drop it but got taken out by a log right next to the trail that caught my wheel.

i love how they have a pic of some kids tubing in one of the trees right above the creek. i thought it was pretty funny.

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
Anyone interested in a day trip or overinight if I have enough notice, please PM me. I have enough room in my house for several to crash (although depending on number you may be banished to a couch or sleeping bag) - although I have exclusive rights of refusal depending potential reputation :oink: . So if anyone is interested, PM me. Next few weekends are out but anything after 7/8 is an option. I would prefer a day trip for dog sitting issues but I can maybe arrange otherwise if the right deal worked out. Regardless. if it is an overnight trip I would prefer if an overnight to drive down on Friday earlyish and back on Saturday after riding to avoid traffic. Rte 84 and merging to the Pike on Sunday PM is a nigtmare. :banghead: But I can be influenced otherwise with the right offer. :D And it goes without saying that you may certainly choose to stay for the weekend even if I bail after a day's ride on Saturday...

So if you want to head down or have a group going and don't mind an extra rider, please drop me a PM or whatever!

Jen

:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
TurnerGrl said:
Anyone interested in a day trip or overinight if I have enough notice, please PM me. I have enough room in my house for several to crash (although depending on number you may be banished to a couch or sleeping bag) - although I have exclusive rights of refusal depending potential reputation :oink: . So if anyone is interested, PM me. Next few weekends are out but anything after 7/8 is an option. I would prefer a day trip for dog sitting issues but I can maybe arrange otherwise if the right deal worked out. Regardless. if it is an overnight trip I would prefer if an overnight to drive down on Friday earlyish and back on Saturday after riding to avoid traffic. Rte 84 and merging to the Pike on Sunday PM is a nigtmare. :banghead: But I can be influenced otherwise with the right offer. :D And it goes without saying that you may certainly choose to stay for the weekend even if I bail after a day's ride on Saturday...

So if you want to head down or have a group going and don't mind an extra rider, please drop me a PM or whatever!

Jen

:
that is a very generous offer!

Diablo really looks sweet! Manhattan and I were just commenting about it today as we were carving in a landing tranny for our creekbed drop! It looks like some great riding!

thanks for all who were involved in posting within this thread!

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
brungeman said:
that is a very generous offer!
[/SIZE]
Just can't wait to get back! :D So any of you Monkeys who would be heading out the Pike to pick up 84 on your way to the Creek and would want to carpool or caravan, just thought I'd throw it out there. Especially if it made the trip "doable" for all involved. I live basically right off the Mass Pike and only 15 minutes from the Pike/84 interchange which can even be avoided altogether by shooting right down Rte 20.

Leaving from my house saves about an hour for anyone that would be coming from the Boston area (or points north and coming through Boston) and makes it about a 3 hourish (depending on who's driving!) trip to Diablo.

Also planning to hit up some trips to Jiminy Peak in W Mass for some DH (I've never been, so can't speak to the trails, features, etc) but PM me if you are interested in that as well and I can keep you posted on riding plans.

DVRider

Chimp
Aug 1, 2002
Southeast MA
Alright, I guess it's time for the injury report. Slugman mentioned I went down pretty hard on exodos before stacking on the log ride on Ripper. Actually, it was on Deceit(that bitch), the worst part was that I actually rolled the small log on that trail, but endoed when I came off and these are pretty much the results of that crash.

All in all, Saturday was a crap day for me. I've been to diablo and ridden the entire day without falling and on that one run, Deceit to Ripper(my favorite run), I went down 4 times!!!! The pic of me crashing on the log was the fourth and just added insult to injury. The result of the first crash on Deceit can be seen in the first three pictures.

A nice gouge on my calf, mind you this pic was taken about 5 days later:

This bruise on my knee was already turning yellow:

Slugman assured I couldn't break my hip bone because it's one of the hardest bones in the body to break. But this hurt like hell and felt like it was on fire immediately after the crash:

On Sunday, Slugman went over to Philly and we stayed and played, I had just had a great ride down Ripper, no dabs including cleaning the log ride at the end. We went back up to hip Utah, a trail a lot of the guys hadn't seen yet and we took Upper Exodos to get there. Well, something happened at the top of a rock roll onto a bridge and my rear slipped of a rock and shot me off the bridge the result is that I extended my leg and twisted it, I heard snap crackly pop and went down in a heap clutching my knee.

Snap, torn ACL!

I actually got some good news today and the doctor only thinks I tore my ACL and have some bad bone bruising. We previously thought I tore my MCL as well as some meniscus damage, but he couldn't see that in the MRI. The Radiologist will still have some input when he reads it either today or tomorrow. Either way, looks like Diablo is out for the season unless I want to do some filming or XC?!@?!@?.

Dave

DVRider

Chimp
Aug 1, 2002
Southeast MA
Slugman said:
Damn that hip picture looks painful!
To be honest after I finished complaining about it that day it didn't hurt that much. After Sundays crash, it didn't hurt at all, relatively.

If you think it looks bad in pictures, you should see what it looks like in person. When someone sees it, they're horrified!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
DVRider said:
If you think it looks bad in pictures, you should see what it looks like in person. When someone sees it, they're horrified!
Actually they are frightened b/c you are lifting up your shirt... :cool:

I get that a lot too...:dead:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
damn, bummer about the knee. just when the northeast riding season kicks into high gear.

great pics slugman, i defintiely need to get to Diablo at some point this year.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
stop it man, stop with the beaitufil pictures, i need to ride there again soon..you are at a higher stage of biking then i am..i ride blacks and occassionally(if i'm feeling dumb) doubles..that one drop off the platform is really big..they did step it up, and i like the new work..i rode those 3 ladders just like u did, 1 at a time..i want to ride the more tech features and funner stuff..i went the same day, twhen the lift broke..

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
great pics ....Diablo '06 is a lot more fun than Diablo '05

I cant wait until its open everyday!! I plan to use a lot of vacation time

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
hooples3 said:
great pics ....Diablo '06 is a lot more fun than Diablo '05

I cant wait until its open everyday!! I plan to use a lot of vacation time
yeah, definately, tons of new trails and wooden features!

wooleyfolley is letting me crash at his house for a day, or 12..and then i'll be chilling at the aunt's and maybe trying to crash with other people too!

i am definately going during the weekdays, a lot less crowded, i hope./.oh and slugman we went the same day, i had an orange helmet and a blue faith..i bet i saw you