Quantcast

Diablo Sept 2-7 looking for someone to ride with

Rasterman

Chimp
Oct 27, 2008
This will be my first time at Diablo so send me an IM if you want to meet up. I'm bringing my own bike. I was at Whistler for a week last month and can handle most of the stuff there and was wondering how Diablo compares, are most of the hard trails In Deep hard or more like Original Sin hard?

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Theres not a lot of steepness, the challenge at Diablo (DH Wise) are the rough rock garden trails - as in no more than 40% dirt at an point, and that you cant use pure speed to overcome them because its tight and turny!

If you spent time on the Whistler rough DH stuff, you will need to adapt to the slower speed (for much of the rough) although there are some fast sections for sure.

The FR stuff is nothing out of the ordinary. (IE not unusual or overly difficult)

Last edited:

Bikezilla

Chimp
Dec 4, 2006
I went to Whistler last year and differences I see are in the freeridey stuff: Diablo has more drops than most of Whistler and the drops don't have those safety ramps underneath to help ppl roll it out if they don't commit. You don't commit here and you may get committed.

As Huck said above the DH trails are mega chunky with pointy rocks. There's a minimum stall speed if you're going to keep the bike moving and it takes a lot of control (and travel) to rip it at speed. (Well so does Whistler) But if anything gets wet here it's slick. In Whistler everything but the DH trails was grippy even when wet. The wood, the rocks the slick looking stuff all had 10x more traction than even the slightest moisture would give here. But Whistler's DH trails were like greased sh!t when they were wet. (Goats gully comes to mind.)

Lastly the tables on upper & Lower Dominion, & Pipeline are much larger than A-line. But Aline is 10x longer and faster.

Enjoy Diablo! Take it easy on the first couple of runs to get a feel for the terrain. Feel free to stop and look at any section before you ride it, a lot of things look semi-automatic but actually will take some finesse to make it.

Last edited:

Rasterman

Chimp
Oct 27, 2008
About the only thing lacking for me at Whistler was medium sized drops (5-10ft), so hearing that Diablo has more drops is good. Thanks for the info.

Bikezilla

Chimp
Dec 4, 2006
D's only got a handfull but they're nice.
Dom's Denial
Phantom (Porch)
Anthem
Road to Nowhere
Pipeline
Covanent & Canon
Salvation (aka big and small bananna or J-drops)
Flume is closed though.

Alpine has some nice wall rides and if you take the spur after the double that's just after the 2nd wall you can hit Das wall (you can see all three from the lift)

Also for some real East Coast DH flavor, be sure to hit BMW & Stigmata... Stig is the "Micro-Mini-me" version of Filthy Ape. :D

Last edited: