Quantcast

Diamondback Bikes

TheBiggmann

Chimp
Jun 21, 2006
Well, since I'm pretty sure i've been posting these types of questions in the wrong spot, I figure I should maybe post them here. Went down to Wausau today, checked some of the bike stores down there. I tried out a Diamondback Response and thought it was pretty nice, especially for the price. But again, I don't know much about Diamondback's mountain bikes, so I was hoping for a few opinions on their quality and stuff. Thanks. (I think this is where this type of question should be posted, correct me if I'm wrong, I was posting in the Tech Talk section).

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
You'll get the hang of it :)

They are typically a lower end bike. They do make some high end ones but I dunno how much you're looking at spending to be able to suggest a few models that would work.

If you said in the $500-1000 range there are lots and lots of complete bikes to pick from. Giant, Specialized, Trek, Iron Horse to name a few. For a hardtail (no full suspension) you get alot of decent parts for the money. You'll suffer a little on the full suspension because there is a little more going on (cheaper shocks/components). That may or may not bother your but it is something to remember.

If you have more to spend ($1000-2000) then your options open up a little more. There are more full suspension bikes you can get, with better shocks/parts so you won't need to upgrade as fast. You usually get Hydro brakes over cable disc brakes, better wheels, shocks, the whole 9 yards. You get a much better value in this range for a bike that might work better for trail riding.

And above $2000 the doors are wide open up to $5500. That's pretty much whatever you want at that price. Nothing will be "cheap" on a bike that is that much. You'll get the mid level to higher level of components.

Post back what you are looking at spending........that helps alot in this type of post. I could suggest a Giant warp or a Specialized Demo 8....I have no idea of what spectrum you're going for :)

TheBiggmann

Chimp
Jun 21, 2006
I would say my max is like $550. I just need a durable/reliable, well performing bike. My last bike was nothing but problems so I want a bike I can count on. I tried the Diamondback Response and thought it was pretty nice. I also tried to Specialized Rockhopper and Hardrock, Giant Rincon, and a Janis Cross Country 1.0. Living where I do though, those are about the only brands I can find other than, off the top of my head, Gary Fisher (which I'll never buy another bike from), Trek (don't really care for how their bikes ride), Rocky Mountain, and GT. So any thoughts you have on any of those bikes would be appreciated.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I work for a Dback dealer, and I bought a Response for my sister. It is not the greatest bike but I thought it was a good value for someone who rides twice a year....

TheBiggmann

Chimp
Jun 21, 2006
Well, I'll ride it quite a bit more than twice a year, so, from what you're saying, that might not be the best option?

BikerBoy28

Monkey
Jul 3, 2006
Bellingham, Wa
Buy a Specialized Hardrock. I got one for my begginer bike and it was awsome! They are really tough frames. The components are pretty good. And they cost like $600.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
TheBiggmann said:
Well, I'll ride it quite a bit more than twice a year, so, from what you're saying, that might not be the best option?
Well, the fork and the shifting are low-quality.

I would only buy a bike with a deore or x.7 shifting, and a rockshox/manitou/marzocchi fork.

What about the Response Comp?

TheBiggmann

Chimp
Jun 21, 2006
I think, don't quote me on it, cuz I don't totally remember what the comp was going for, but I think it was outta my range, I was looking at the sport because it was pretty well in my range. I can check the comp out again though.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
TheBiggmann said:
I think, don't quote me on it, cuz I don't totally remember what the comp was going for, but I think it was outta my range, I was looking at the sport because it was pretty well in my range. I can check the comp out again though.
There are really no good values in the under $400 range. Most have poor shifters and suspension, and when you start mashing on both, the flaws will be evident.

You might try to cruise Performance or another big box store and see what you can find. There might be a $500 bike on sale...

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
My brother just picked up an Iron Horse Warrior LE (limited edition) for $649 I think from performance bikes. He has crappy fork and rear suspension BUT........it has decent shifters (Sram X7), rear derail. is also X7, and Avid Mechanical disc brakes. It was a good starting point I felt for someone getting a new bike.

Performance bikes (honestly) is probably your best bet for a cheap (marked down) bike. Now that the 2007 stuff will start comming out there should be some decent full bikes to be had pretty cheap. If you have a performance bikes in your area I'd check them out.