Quantcast

Diamondback Overdrive vs Specialized Rockhopper 29 vs ....

ramfan144

Chimp
Mar 21, 2010
First off, hi out there to everyone. I just moved into the mountains and think mountain biking might be the hobby for me.

I'm looking at buying my first XC bike. I think I've narrowed it down to the Overdrive, Rockhopper, or a Giant of some type. These choices are partly because of the low availability of shops in my area, but they seem like solid options anyway.

Any light you can shed on the quality and value of these would really help me out. I'd like to keep the price tag below $750.

Thanks a lot!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Buy the one that fits the best and best fits your budget. Don't forget you'll need to buy a helmet and gloves at minimum to go along with your bike purchase. Other things that you should have are tubes, multi-tool, possibly a hydration pack, shoes if your bike comes with clipless pedals etc. etc.

I'd look first at what Giant has to offer and then on to Specialized and finally on to Diamondback in that order.

Good luck.

ramfan144

Chimp
Mar 21, 2010
Giant doesn't seem to have much for 29ers that fits in my price range. I'm leaning towards the Specialized, especially because of the shop that I'd get to buy it from. With the free tune ups they throw in and the general knowledge they possess, it seems worth it to spend an extra $200 rather than buying the Diamondback from a regular sporting goods store.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Go with the LBS - but be wary of a bike featuring a Rock Shox Dart fork up front - you'd be better off going rigid IMO than using that heavy fork up front.

Just my two cents.

ramfan144

Chimp
Mar 21, 2010
Bought the rockhopper today, I'm jacked.

I'm probably not experienced or talented enough to even tell I have a rigid fork...

ramfan144

Chimp
Mar 21, 2010
Haha, will do. They're ordering one in for me. They didn't want to sell me the demo model and I preferred waiting till my next paycheck anyway...

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Oooo. I was looking at that bike at the LBS a few weeks ago. I want one too, or maybe just a step up from that.

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
congrats on the new rig! I personally went with the Rockhopper SL 29er SS weighed in at about 27lbs with a saddle bag (co2, tube, levers, patches) and shimano M520 pedals...not too shabby IMO considering the set up is not weight wheenie concious at all...Ide like to eventually get a rigid fork and a lighter tubeless wheel-set to get sub-25lbs, lighter bars and seat post, etc and hopefully get closer to 20.

Let us know how you like the Talon 29er, looks nice as hell!

for anyone waiting for 2011 bikes Ide check out the spesh's theyre supposed to come with some sweet extra features

Last edited: