Quantcast

Diet and Suppliments before a 10km run?

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
If you're in reasonably good shape, and plan on finishing the 10k in under an hour, there is no need at all for extra calories or supplements during the race itself. Just make sure you are adequately hydrated, starting with the week prior, by increasing your water intake by a couple glasses over normal. Also, make sure you're topped off with electrolytes. Bananas contain potassium, one great resource while at the same time providing some good carbs. Carbo loading really only makes a significant difference to performance when you first carbo deplete, so I wouldn't worry too much about that - just eat a carb rich diet in the few days prior to make sure the tanks are full, but keep the fiber going so you don't feel weighed down. Other than that, do a modest warm-up before stretching. 15 minutes of light jogging, then some easy stretching. 6 "striders" where you loosen up the legs, get used to a quick leg turnover, and get the blood flowing, should have you primed and ready for the start. Take off out of the gate at your goal pace - not faster. A 10K is a race of consistent splits.

If you have specific training or race questions, feel free to PM me. My best 10K was 28:52 on the track, and 29:31 on the road, so I've done more than a couple of these things. Painful I tell ya... stick to biking ;)

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
What El Jefe said. If you are not running at 20+km/h pace, you should be fine. El Jefe is fast, I run 10k's in about an hour. They can be fun. I just did one on the july 4th with 55,000 runners.