Quantcast

Directions to big bear...

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
Last year my directions were wrong. The directions didn't have a in between connecter highway so I got horribly lost... How does this look coming from I-5... Does everything look alright?

Take the CA-99 SOUTH/I-5 SOUTH exit towards LOS ANGELES/SACRAMENTO - go 360.9 mi
11. Take the I-210 EAST exit towards PASADENA - go 44.4 mi
12. Continue on CA-210 EAST - go 23.2 mi
13. Continue on S HIGHLAND AVE - go 0.3 mi
14. Continue on HIGHLAND AVE - go 1.5 mi
15. Continue on W HIGHLAND AVE - go 1.7 mi
16. Continue on E HIGHLAND AVE - go 0.7 mi
17. E HIGHLAND AVE becomes E HIGHLAND AVE/W HIGHLAND AVE - go 0.7 mi
18. E HIGHLAND AVE/W HIGHLAND AVE becomes W HIGHLAND AVE - go 1.1 mi
19. Turn on CA-30 WEST towards BARSTOW - go 0.7 mi
20. Continue on CA-30 EAST - go 6.7 mi
21. Take the CA-330 NORTH exit towards MTN RESORTS - go 0.5 mi

Once I get on the MTN RESORTS highway, I know how to get there... it's just everything before it... Does this look right?

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Looks right...if Highland ave looks about the most ghetto stretch of land in San Bernadino City you're going in the right direction..you'll be on it for a while and the on ramp to the 30 should be on your left after about 5 or 6 miles.

R

Rabie

That's not as complicated as it looks. All the 'Highland' stuff basically means 'keep going on Highland,' so you really just take the 210 until it ends, and continue on Highland until you pick up the 30. If you want to avoid Highland, you could take the 210E to the 57S to the 10E to the 30. Could be faster if you really speed on the fwy.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
You can get to big bear from the North side

If you don't want to go into LA you can take the 18 in from Lucerne Valley You can do that from 2 ways: Take the 5 South to Palmdale and go down the Pearblossom Hwy (138) Through Victorville then to the 18. The other option would be 99 S to Bakersfield to 58 E, then south on 14 to pick up the rest.

This is an option that can keep you out of driving all the way into LA and there's a lot less traffic, work out great if your coming from the North. Its the Mojave desert and kinda scenic ;) In a slasher, B movie kinda way.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
zark's way will be way faster than dealing with LA/San Berdoo traffic. I'd take (from wherever you're coming from) 184 to near edwards afb/ mojave then get on the 58 to the 395 in the middle of the desert (there's a stop light, gas station and a pretty good diner) to Bear valley rd in victorville (a stop light and a couple gas stations, just past charlie's strip bar). Take bear valley road east through victorville and apple valley where it will turn into hwy 18 (it'll seem like a long way and it really is, basically when the city turns to desert drive a little bit further and there should be an intersection with hwy 18), stay on hwy 18 and you'll end up in big bear. Watch out for the right hand turn near lucerne valley or else you'll end up on your way to palm desert.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by Acadian
I will go Zark's way then! thanks bro..

hey we got to ride SB soon too....get in touch!
You know it, hopefully I'll have a DH bike soon:( I will be at BB for the national, checking out the scene:cool:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Zark's way is cool...having lived in the desert when I became a mtn biker, it was the way I always took to BB at first.

It's neat because you're in total bizarro-mad-max-land desert, really scary shacks in the middle of nowhere with no windows, stockade fences, and "no parking" signs all over, and then you hit the mountain pass through to Big Bear and suddenly the landscape turns to pine trees and stuff; it's a very abrupt transition.

MD

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by Acadian
I also recall it being REAL WINDY!!! :(
Welcome to the desert...! I guess I was pretty used to it at the time.