Quantcast

Dirt jumping in Reno

rbn14

Chimp
Aug 5, 2005
RNO
I want to get into dirt jumping but dont know of any spots around Reno(which is where I live). I understand that people like to keep the good spots somewhat of a secret, plus, I've never gotten to do any dirt jumping before so all the good spots are probaly too imtimidating anyway. I'm just looking for somewhere with some fairly mellow jumps that I could go to and not anger anyone(or at least anyone with a violent streek!). Could anyone help me out? Right now the only bike I've got is an RM7, but i'm working on putting together another bike to take to the park and dirt jumps(if i can find any). PLEASE HELP!!

Robby

hacksaw

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
775 ,Northern Nevada
kidwoo said:
1. Get the right bike

2. Wait till winter when more people are riding/digging

3. Offer up some shovel time first.

They're around but riding them right now without knowing what you're doing will tear them up.
You are right he needs the correct bike... Ummm and bring a broom also KW do you know what happened to my Tamper , flatty and pick do you have them if not I gotta go regulate on some grommets... "Saw"

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
hacksaw said:
You are right he needs the correct bike... Ummm and bring a broom also KW do you know what happened to my Tamper , flatty and pick do you have them if not I gotta go regulate on some grommets... "Saw"
Dood, quit leaving your tools around. I told you where I saw your spade shovel...and I grabbed it. I haven't seen your tamper or flatty or your pick. I also haven't been down there in like 3 months. I'm headed down there tonight to do some shopping. I'm bringing a bike.

rbn14

Chimp
Aug 5, 2005
RNO
I'm picking up a frame this weekend.... maybe I can get the guy to throw in a broom too.

rbn14

Chimp
Aug 5, 2005
RNO
kidwoo said:
Forget the broom. Ask for an irrigation system. :devil:
All you have to do is sacrifice a virgin, then the rain will come....hard part is finding one.

hacksaw

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
775 ,Northern Nevada
Yo! KidWoo
I gotta grand idea for H2O.How bout' we get us some hose (alot) and some pvc and dasiy chain it to the nearest residence super stealth??? are you down ???? I can get alot of the supplies we need.

rbn14

Chimp
Aug 5, 2005
RNO
Fat sacs hold a lot of water (like 750lbs, which is about 90 gallons), i've used them to get water out to places for some of my own projects (fat sacs are bags you can put in a boat to make the wake bigger). Odds are you know somone who has one or two, if not they are like $150 each.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
hacksaw said:
Yo! KidWoo
I gotta grand idea for H2O.How bout' we get us some hose (alot) and some pvc and dasiy chain it to the nearest residence super stealth??? are you down ???? I can get alot of the supplies we need.
That would be the best way I know of to get more motos and quads on our jumps pronto........course then we could justify killing them......hmmm

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
rbn14 said:
Fat sacs hold a lot of water (like 750lbs, which is about 90 gallons), i've used them to get water out to places for some of my own projects (fat sacs are bags you can put in a boat to make the wake bigger). Odds are you know somone who has one or two, if not they are like $150 each.
We've got a buddy who I think actually purchased one since he's the only one with a truck large enough to carry it.

Truth be told, I don't care about it right now enough to force irrigate. I gots the DH, I gots the XC and all the other stuff that will be under 6 feet of snow in a few months. I save the reno for winter.

Bug that hacksaw guy. I think he knows something.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
kidwoo said:
1. Get the right bike
What's wrong with an RM7? :rolleyes:
Most of the dirt jump spots around SLC and Park City are dominated by big bikes like RM7's, AS-X, Bullit, even Demo 9's...give the guy a break and lose the surfer territorial BS!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Summit said:
What's wrong with an RM7? :rolleyes:
Most of the dirt jump spots around SLC and Park City are dominated by big bikes like RM7's, AS-X, Bullit, even Demo 9's...give the guy a break and lose the surfer territorial BS!
Blow me chump.

Dirtjumps don't just pop up out of the sand from offshore weather patterns.

I ride a turner DHR where it's appropriate. I also ride a hardtail where it's appropriate. And most importantly of all, I've worked my ass off helping construct an area that I'm sick of people bringing big bikes to thinking it's their safety net if they can't jump, only to completely tear down what are fairly fragile structures made in the desert. You live in utah, you know what desert is right? Limited water? You know what season it is right now?

Park city has hoses and regular maintenence. Our spot gets love only when it snows or rains.........in the desert.

Some jumps can be ridden without a problem on big bikes....bootleg for example.....SLC apprently. Ours can't. Get over your sense of entitlement to others and my hard work.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
kid-
I'm not saying some kid on a big bike coming into 'your' dirt jumps isn't gonna trash them. Sure he could. I'm just making a point:
1-Big bikes, under a skilled rider, can handle DJ's just fine without destroying them.
2-Surfers are assholes. We don't need that self-entitled attitude in a sport with a whole helluva lot more terrain in existence for our playgrounds than surfers have perfect breaks. I appreciate you work hard on your jumps and I do too. but this sport doesn't need the holier-than-thou attitude that you bring to these boards and to our community.

hacksaw

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
775 ,Northern Nevada
Summit said:
kid-
I'm not saying some kid on a big bike coming into 'your' dirt jumps isn't gonna trash them. Sure he could. I'm just making a point:
1-Big bikes, under a skilled rider, can handle DJ's just fine without destroying them.
2-Surfers are assholes. We don't need that self-entitled attitude in a sport with a whole helluva lot more terrain in existence for our playgrounds than surfers have perfect breaks. I appreciate you work hard on your jumps and I do too. but this sport doesn't need the holier-than-thou attitude that you bring to these boards and to our community.
Those jumps are not "Kids" Hacksaw spent years out there before anyone knew about them Kevin and a host of others help dig there they are named after a hot crackhead chick Sandy and she will chase you down if you mess them up.But really I have had countless people out there and I can honestly tell you that of all of the full suspension guys that go there Zeke is the only one who ride a big bike there and make it look good. I don't think Kid is piping the Holier than thou attitude I think he is protecting a spot that he has alot of blood sweat and tears into so you can't blame him , If I am there and someone is thrashing the jumps (any jumps , anywhere) I will ask them to not do that and maybe there are jumps better suited for them elsewhere (unless it is a guy on a moto te I chase the M-Fer down ) If you wanna ride my Jumps pm me or call me chances are I will show you and egg you on... (even if you are on a Planet X.....maybe)

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
Saw,

What up man? Hey I'm coming down for the CougarMtxClassic in Sonoma next weekend, then I'm gonna come home for the week until Mammoth. We gotta hook up, ride bermuda and ****. Is the valley still the place for the Dj's or what? Man I can't wait to hit up the back door Nugget and get an awful awful. NEway it was good to see you in whistler, you gotta round up Spanker tell his cruiser riding ass he's in for a week of trouble.

L8er

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Summit said:
kid-
No kidding. Read my post again.
Summit said:
2-Surfers are assholes. We don't need that self-entitled attitude in a sport with a whole helluva lot more terrain in existence for our playgrounds than surfers have perfect breaks.
I agree. I pretty much quit surfing because of this crap.

Summit said:
I appreciate you work hard on your jumps and I do too. but this sport doesn't need the holier-than-thou attitude that you bring to these boards and to our community.
It's not holier than thou...it's realistic about what occurs to piles of dirt in the desert once deprived of water. And let's be straight here.....you are in Utah and are adressing MY community.
You don't know me and you obviously have no idea how many people I've shown spots to and because of message boards had shown to me. Re-read this thread and most of all read closely my response to the gentleman who started this thread. I said I'd be willing to show him some of what I know under a few conditions which I have gladly agreed to in the past at other peoples spots in order to be shown the same treatment. I also suggested asking the other guy in this thread who knows what I know if that's not good enough.

YOU are the one who jumped on my case with this.
Summit said:
..give the guy a break and lose the surfer territorial BS!
AFTER I showed some willingness to help rbn14 out once I start returning to this place in the winter.

So again......you are not entiltled to other people's hard work. I understand this concept whenever I find out about a new place to ride, why can't you? Just don't act like an ass and you may actually be shown some pretty fun places to ride. rbn14 has been completely cool in his responses and handled my sarcasm and suggestions well. So seeing as you live in SLC, and in all honesty rbn14 will probably be shown a few good places to ride fairly soon..........just go away. I don't follow you around expecting you to show me things that you've worked hard on and then call you territorial if you decide to not immediately spill your guts on an internet forum. Use your brain before you go attacking people.

hacksaw

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
775 ,Northern Nevada
ride said:
Saw,

What up man? Hey I'm coming down for the CougarMtxClassic in Sonoma next weekend, then I'm gonna come home for the week until Mammoth. We gotta hook up, ride bermuda and ****. Is the valley still the place for the Dj's or what? Man I can't wait to hit up the back door Nugget and get an awful awful. NEway it was good to see you in whistler, you gotta round up Spanker tell his cruiser riding ass he's in for a week of trouble.

L8er
It's on brother man I got some riding for you call me when you get here we should get spanker on a big bike he might have fun he is the world champ in his cruiser age group you know..

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
hacksaw said:
Those jumps are not "Kids" Hacksaw spent years out there before anyone knew about them Kevin and a host of others help dig there they are named after a hot crackhead chick Sandy and she will chase you down if you mess them up.But really I have had countless people out there and I can honestly tell you that of all of the full suspension guys that go there Zeke is the only one who ride a big bike there and make it look good. I don't think Kid is piping the Holier than thou attitude I think he is protecting a spot that he has alot of blood sweat and tears into so you can't blame him , If I am there and someone is thrashing the jumps (any jumps , anywhere) I will ask them to not do that and maybe there are jumps better suited for them elsewhere (unless it is a guy on a moto te I chase the M-Fer down ) If you wanna ride my Jumps pm me or call me chances are I will show you and egg you on... (even if you are on a Planet X.....maybe)
Amen!!! Well Said.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
hacksaw said:
If you wanna ride my Jumps pm me or call me chances are I will show you and egg you on... (even if you are on a Planet X.....maybe)
whats wrong with a planet x ? they can handle jumps just fine :dancing:

hacksaw

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
775 ,Northern Nevada
kidwoo said:
Oh jeeeez. I had to rub my planet x headlock on his nose for an hour just to get him used to it so he'd quit peeing on my leg.

He gets this wierd twitch around that stuff........totally irrational.
Burn my toast and I'll pee on everything .LOL
3 rules at the DJ's
1 No Heel Clickers
2 If you bring booze bring enough for everyone.
3 No Planet X's

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
1) I totally understand why people should not do heel clickers.... they're just lame.
2) everyone needs booze, so fair enough
3) what's wrong with planet x? Some of their frames are lame I admit, but the pitbull or gimp are great bikes

This coming from a guy who used to ride a tomac? ? ? ?

hacksaw

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
775 ,Northern Nevada
scurban said:
1) I totally understand why people should not do heel clickers.... they're just lame.
2) everyone needs booze, so fair enough
3) what's wrong with planet x? Some of their frames are lame I admit, but the pitbull or gimp are great bikes

This coming from a guy who used to ride a tomac? ? ? ?
P-X bad (not the bike itself)
Tomac, Free (oh and they payed me travel and room and board) at least they honred all of their word and commitments to me and the guys at Tomac are extremely helpful and those bikes ride really well other than a slight head tube issue.. Thats me riding a Tomac.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I was just joking around, I'm sure they're good bikes.

my gimp's been a good bike for me but its almost spent. I don't think I'm going to get another P-X anyway........oddly enough I've been thinking about the DOC.. I just don't know about the 68-69 degree head angle it seems a little slack for a dirt/street bike. Everything else on it seems pretty pimp.

Different subject though.

hacksaw

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
775 ,Northern Nevada
scurban said:
I was just joking around, I'm sure they're good bikes.

my gimp's been a good bike for me but its almost spent. I don't think I'm going to get another P-X anyway........oddly enough I've been thinking about the DOC.. I just don't know about the 68-69 degree head angle it seems a little slack for a dirt/street bike. Everything else on it seems pretty pimp.

Different subject though.
No worries .
The D.O.C is a really good bike on dirt it is very predictable and it is bad ass on street especially when you look at who designed it (Chris Donahue) if you are going to get one you might have to go direct to Evil I am pretty sure Jonas or Michael will get you hooked up.Have fun and feel fre to come dirt jump with me somtime...
"Saw"

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
So after getting blown and drownd out of New Orleans, the wife and I came home to Reno 'cause our house is under 5' of water.

Now that we're here, I was wondering if any of the Reno monkies might be interested in building a new short set of DJ's with me. I found a spot big enough for maybe a 12' gap, then a hard berm turn up hill, then a series of maybe a smaller two pack. Nothing major, but just a new spot with a nice roll in for some power. I think I can get us 100 yards or so of free dirt (nice having a mom in construction) and we can put something together. Now if I can just find a DJ bike...

swerve76

Monkey
Aug 30, 2003
nevada
Tattooo said:
So after getting blown and drownd out of New Orleans, the wife and I came home to Reno 'cause our house is under 5' of water.

Now that we're here, I was wondering if any of the Reno monkies might be interested in building a new short set of DJ's with me. I found a spot big enough for maybe a 12' gap, then a hard berm turn up hill, then a series of maybe a smaller two pack. Nothing major, but just a new spot with a nice roll in for some power. I think I can get us 100 yards or so of free dirt (nice having a mom in construction) and we can put something together. Now if I can just find a DJ bike...
I have limited knowledge of Reno DJs and trails, but most of the stuff I did find while living there had been there for a while. A lot of newer stuff was torn down or plowed. But new stuff is always good.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
hacksaw said:
No worries .
The D.O.C is a really good bike on dirt it is very predictable and it is bad ass on street especially when you look at who designed it (Chris Donahue) if you are going to get one you might have to go direct to Evil I am pretty sure Jonas or Michael will get you hooked up.Have fun and feel fre to come dirt jump with me somtime...
"Saw"

Thanks!

Next time I'm up that way I'll bring my bike..... and shovels

hacksaw

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
775 ,Northern Nevada
Tattooo said:

Ian
Hey it is good to hear you got out of that area o.k Lindsay told me about it I hope all is well and get ahold of me sometime to go riding around town ."Saw"

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Saw,

Yea, things are pretty good in comparison. I think most of our stuff came out quasi dry, so its a good day in the ghetto tonight.

I am going to start working on getting a little dj place put together above my folks, you'll have to come try it out as I don't have a bike yet.

crapacity

Chimp
Jul 20, 2005
Hey Tatoo, I am new to the scene around here, but I would be happy to give you a hand building some jumps.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Let me work some stuff out with the city to make sure who owns the land I want to do this on, then I will start seeing what I can do about getting us a couple hundred yards of free dirt. I should know something by next week.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Tattooo said:
Let me work some stuff out with the city to make sure who owns the land I want to do this on, then I will start seeing what I can do about getting us a couple hundred yards of free dirt. I should know something by next week.
Get my number from Jim if you want some more help. I'll definitely give you a hand.

-Kevin

hacksaw

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
775 ,Northern Nevada
I am not very good at building Dirt Jumps but I am willing to throw a shovel or 10 (billion) full of dirt to erect some good ole'fashioned DJ to shed the gnar gnar on. P.S Kid Woo is my love child from woodstock in "69" boo yaa