Quantcast

disappointed in California and Arkansas

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081114/ap_on_re_us/suspicious_powder

which has me thinking: why is there so much anger, hostility, and now (perceived) domestic terrorism against pie-baking cultists, and not against blacks (who voted 70/30)? are blacks who voted against this harder to distinguish, or is there fear of literal & symmetric retribution, or are gays uncomfortable going after blacks for perceived racist reasons (which would be sweet irony, no doubt)?
Because Mormon churches strategically funded this from out of state, influencing a congregation that, in the words of a Mormon biz owner in SF, "like all of you, but my church told me to vote 'yes' on this." The Mormon vote was likely 95% yes on 8.

I agree that the black community bears some major blame, but where do you direct it? There's no central cabal that gets on the phone with every black pastor in the state. You don't know whether the predominantly black church down the street was specifically preaching this or not.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I agree that the black community bears some major blame, but where do you direct it? There's no central cabal that gets on the phone with every black pastor in the state. You don't know whether the predominantly black church down the street was specifically preaching this or not.
"blame"? not "credit"?

either way, it seems the militant arm of the gay community (sorry, i don't how else to describe it) has decided the time for conversation & appeal to reason is over, which will come back to bite them on the back of their collective shoulder.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Just like it bit the negroes, right?
well, at least they got the message after plessy v. ferguson & went back to their lives as closeted black people
ed: ^^^^ this is sarcasm

i find the whole thing a tangled mess: as groups, the mormons & blacks are specifically protected under the civil rights of 1964, so some gays are (perceived to be) infringing upon their civil rights. but then, marriage isn't about civil rights, now is it? one cannot claim a religious right in order to practice polygamy.

then there's the will of the people, which gov schwarzenegger supported only 2 yrs ago, only to reverse himself w/o citing any new & relevant information (just electability & to pander to whomever is more likely to keep him in office).

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
i find the whole thing a tangled mess: as groups, the mormons & blacks are specifically protected under the civil rights of 1964, so some gays are (perceived to be) infringing upon their civil rights. but then, marriage isn't about civil rights, now is it? one cannot claim a religious right in order to practice polygamy.

Plus there's that whole thing about there not being a single friggin 'right' that's infringed upon by two like gendered folks getting married.

I'm to the point now that I'm getting punchy with anyone who says the gay agender is infringing upon their rights.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Plus there's that whole thing about there not being a single friggin 'right' that's infringed upon by two like gendered folks getting married.
true, yet i don't believe this is viewed as an overarching sentiment by pro-prop 8 types, but the violent backlash however...
I'm to the point now that I'm getting punchy with anyone who says the gay agender is infringing upon their rights.
you gonna get all techno viking @ the tabernacle?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
but then, marriage isn't about civil rights, now is it?
It is when the government/states recognize marriage and provide specific affordances to citizens that are in one.

If states were to stop referring to traditional marriages as "marriages," a religious term, and start referring to them as "civil unions," a secular term, I suspect we could get much further on this topic.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
true, yet i don't believe this is viewed as an overarching sentiment by pro-prop 8 types, but the violent backlash however...
It abosolutely is.

If you lived in california this wouldn't be news to you. Every radio spot I heard mentioned specifically that Prop 8 defended the CIVIL RIGHTS of traditional couples. Its passing tells me this was not an uncommon sentiment.

edit: and what ohio said. The very term itself grants allowances. Prohibiting the vocabulary prohibits these allowances. You've filled out your taxes before right? Remember the 'married' parts?

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
It is when the government/states recognize marriage and provide specific affordances to citizens that are in one.
this may be an effective way to argue for it, even if it does smack of 'property ownership'
If states were to stop referring to traditional marriages as "marriages," a religious term, and start referring to them as "civil unions," a secular term, I suspect we could get much further on this topic.
further, indeed.

just thinking of the fundamentally pervasive re-work of existing law is dizzying. and it would have to come at the cost of existing protected groups. to suggest this would quickly be met with "so you actually don't respect the civil rights of all, just some". this is to say nothing of the perceived indoctrination which must take place in our schools. and that churches would be legitimate targets of hate crime legislation.

do you see it this way, too? not that's it's good or bad, just checking if you think my predictions seem reasonable & expected.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
Even if African Americans voted 50-50, the prop would have still passed, so blaming it on them is a bit silly, when the Mormon Church probably convinced more people to vote yes than rather than the much smaller number of African-Americans that voted yes.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Even if African Americans voted 50-50, the prop would have still passed, so blaming it on them is a bit silly, when the Mormon Church probably convinced more people to vote yes than rather than the much smaller number of African-Americans that voted yes.
you think the mormon church is more influential in california that the black voting bloc? man, you are out of touch. there's about 500K lds members in california (source), and their voting numbers are smaller than that, even if we assume member == voter, which is in itself a stretch. side note: 500K is roughly the same number by which prop 8 passed.

if anything, seeing a tv spot as sponsored by "teh church of jc of lds" would have more the opposite effect. they have deep pockets & distorted egos to proclaim they were the reason why prop 8 passed. funny, no one ever stops to think about the people whose minds were already made up apart from the lds church. to suggest otherwise you'd have to believe that if the lgbt community just spent a few million more the measure would have been defeated.

relevant excerpt from freakanomics: http://www.mfw.us/freakonomics-money-elections

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
$17.67 million was contributed by 59,000 Mormon families since August to groups like Yes on 8. Contributions in support of Prop. 8 total $22.88 million, which allowed them to commit a massive misinformation campaign. They didn't say it was sponsored by LDS, they donated money to protectmarriage.com and various other PACs.

African-Americans constituted 10% of the vote, 70% voted yes, which means that if African-Americans voted 50-50, it still would have passed, although by a much slimmer margin. The Mormon Church is catching flak, and rightly so.

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
$17.67 million was contributed by 59,000 Mormon families since August to groups like Yes on 8. Contributions in support of Prop. 8 total $22.88 million, which allowed them to commit a massive misinformation campaign.
like these?
and my personal favorite (taken from 1 corinthians)
African-Americans constituted 10% of the vote, 70% voted yes, which means that if African-Americans voted 50-50, it still would have passed, although by a much slimmer margin. The Mormon Church is catching flak, and rightly so.
"catching flak"? for what? exercising their constitutional right to free speech?

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
I didn't see any outright lies like the Mormon Church put out.

It wasn't just exercising free speech, it was stripping away a basic civil right. If a left-wing PAC put a constitutional amendment on the ballot banning protests in california, people would be going nuts. I realize that it isn't comparing apples to apples exactly, but in Loving v Virginia, they did say that marriage is a basic civil right, much like protesting.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
just thinking of the fundamentally pervasive re-work of existing law is dizzying. and it would have to come at the cost of existing protected groups. to suggest this would quickly be met with "so you actually don't respect the civil rights of all, just some". this is to say nothing of the perceived indoctrination which must take place in our schools. and that churches would be legitimate targets of hate crime legislation.
Not sure if I follow. I suspect a misunderstanding on one side.

I'm not asking us to de-recognize marriage. What I'm proposing is purely a change in semantics, not rights. Stop referring to marriage as marriage in any legal or governmental context, and just call it a civil union. Anyone in a recognized marriage keeps the same exact rights.

Given the passage of law and response in states allowing "civil unions" for same sex couples, it seems like a major hurdle for many religious types is simply calling these relationships a "marriage" as it doesn't jive with what the bible tells them a marriage is. In fact, the Republican Party has used exactly this fact in framing the challenge as "Gay Marriage" knowing that would mobilize the base. States that allow civil unions, still have a problem with separate but equal... my proposal is rather than try to make gay marriage equal to traditional marriage, why not make traditional marriage equal to gay marriage and get religious verbiage out of the law where it doesn't belong anyway.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
Given the passage of law and response in states allowing "civil unions" for same sex couples, it seems like a major hurdle for many religious types is simply calling these relationships a "marriage" as it doesn't jive with what the bible tells them a marriage is. In fact, the Republican Party has used exactly this fact in framing the challenge as "Gay Marriage" knowing that would mobilize the base. States that allow civil unions, still have a problem with separate but equal... my proposal is rather than try to make gay marriage equal to traditional marriage, why not make traditional marriage equal to gay marriage and get religious verbiage out of the law where it doesn't belong anyway.
Or at the very least, do what the Brits did and compromise. Civil unions and marriage have the exact same legal standing, not like our discriminatory civil unions. The marriage should be the ceremony, and civil unions should be the state recognition of it, but I don't see that happening.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
"catching flak"? for what? exercising their constitutional right to free speech?
For spreading lies (outright, blatant lies. like bigger than Colin Powell's) in an effort to deny other citizens of their civil rights.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
like these?
Those are awesome!

cept that last one

That was gay as fvck.

This is much less awesome. And hence, relies on a weaker and therefore false premise.

faggots after your kidz, threatens your marriage, threatens your religious freedoms!!????

Give me a fuggin break

edit: all your straight kidz are belong to us™

Last edited:

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
The propaganda campaign behind prop 8 was overwhelmingly funded by Mormon sources and even more disturbing was the out of state origins of said funds.

To oversimplify, Utah had more influence over Californian policy than California, and that is wrong no matter which way you look at it.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Or at the very least, do what the Brits did and compromise. Civil unions and marriage have the exact same legal standing, not like our discriminatory civil unions. The marriage should be the ceremony, and civil unions should be the state recognition of it, but I don't see that happening.
i can get down on that.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Even better, why is the government involved in marriage at all? Our tax system shouldn't be so complex that it should matter anyhow...

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
Even better, why is the government involved in marriage at all? Our tax system shouldn't be so complex that it should matter anyhow...
Are you advocating Fairtax or ditching the progressive tax system?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Because we want to encourage people who want families to be married, and (L)lord knows they won't do it without a tax break.

Plummit

Monkey
Mar 12, 2002

Looks like someone is listening to you: LINK

Theory is that Arnie could do an end run around the language of Prop 8, by doing exactly what you suggest.

The governor told CNN that he hoped the state Supreme Court would overturn the people and Prop. 8. While there are some respectable legal arguments that the initiative does not meet the requirements of Article 18 of the state constitution, asking the court to invalidate Prop. 8 is a tall order. Properly, judges look for ways to avoid holding laws unconstitutional, and that is especially so when the law comes directly from the people.
The governor has administrative authority to have regulations issued interpreting family law, and nothing in Prop. 8 precludes him from ensuring that homosexual and heterosexual couples are treated equally under state law so long as he stays clear of “marriage.” This could be accomplished by limiting the state of California prospectively to the issuance of civil unions for all couples, rather than marriage licenses, leaving marriage, which in origin is predominantly a religious concept and not the real business of the state, to religion.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Nice. It's about damn time. To me this is a more ideal solution that legal same-sex "marriage" as it accomplishes equality and secularization of government at the same time.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
update: gays to boycott utah resorts

ummm...isn't this exactly what mormons want?

to say nothing of targeting this group due to their religion borders on violating their civil rights. (thinking of the expected 'outrage' if another group said: "don't patronize teh gheys b/c we don't approve of their actions")

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Seriously. They should hold a rainbow rave in Park City. Kidwoo would be there like instantly.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
to say nothing of targeting this group due to their religion borders on violating their civil rights. (thinking of the expected 'outrage' if another group said: "don't patronize teh gheys b/c we don't approve of their actions")
<Tour Guide>And, if you look to the left side of the bus, you'll see another dumbass American who doesn't understand what the Constitution means.</Tour Guide>

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
silver said:
<Tour Guide>And, if you look to the left side of the bus, you'll see another dumbass American who doesn't understand what the Constitution means.</Tour Guide>
is this the part where you find no problem at all w/ teh separate but equal eharmony for teh gheyz?

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
There was a senator that came to my school today and was saying that once a senator gets into office, they immediately have to start doing things to get themselves re-elected for that position. So what they will do is vote on the issue on which their political party agrees with even if they have a different opinion. But, if you were to vote differently, they would not hire you to that position again next year because they did not like that you were voting against them on some occasions. The message here is that, the people that vote for this stuff are just sucking up to their party so they can get hired again in two years, they are just robots and don't really give a crap what is right for society, they just want that position in government. This is all just dirty politics inside of dirty politics. BASTARDS!!!!!! shall they live a baconless, beerless, girless, life while burning in hell.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
Jersey, that is definitely true for the House, but not so much the Senate. They are supposed to be representatives of their district, which is why someone like Ron Paul who disagrees with the Republicans on a lot of things can keep getting elected.

Representing their constituents isn't dirty, it is as clean as politics will ever get.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Jersey, that is definitely true for the House, but not so much the Senate. They are supposed to be representatives of their district, which is why someone like Ron Paul who disagrees with the Republicans on a lot of things can keep getting elected.
Much legislature of houses dyslexic?

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Shame the pro-marriage folks weren't so motivated prior to election.
After you cut through all the accusations (legit or not) it boils down to the anti-marriage folks being more dedicated to their cause.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
Shame the pro-marriage folks weren't so motivated prior to election.
After you cut through all the accusations (legit or not) it boils down to the anti-marriage folks being more dedicated to their cause.
I disagree, was Kerry less motivated to be President than Bush? It is a matter of poor campaigning, not motivation or desire.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I disagree, was Kerry less motivated to be President than Bush? It is a matter of poor campaigning, not motivation or desire.
The most votes win.
More people voted to ban gay marriage.
Case closed.

Good intentions alone don't produce results, you need to act on those intentions. Simply blaming the momos for buying more ads doesn't justify the inability of the pro-marriage folks to convince the fence-sitters to vote against the ban.

Do you think the Republican whining about Obama's ad budget is legit? McCain was obviously motivated to win.