Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Disney has had film companies that produce non-family oriented films for a long time. Why would they change what works, it doesn't make any sense?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Disney has had film companies that produce non-family oriented films for a long time. Why would they change what works, it doesn't make any sense?
Because its Disney and they are brand whores. Marvel already has an extremely well identified branding, but I fear Disney may whore it out completely.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i think its a great idea for Disney. why not gobble up the competition?
it happens every day and is good business, even though they are paying 29% over its value

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Steve, I take you're not a fan of anti-trust laws, are you?
i hardly see how this would violate any anti-trust laws. (then again i could be wrong)

plus, the FTC would have jumped in before that would be the case

oh, there arent too many laws that im a fan of

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i hardly see how this would violate any anti-trust laws. (then again i could be wrong)

plus, the FTC would have jumped in before that would be the case
Monopolistic business practices fall under anti-trust laws as well.

Here's a brief list of other things disney owns:

ABC Television (and all ABC branded channels, both broadcast and cable)
ESPN and all ESPN affiliates
Dreamworks (not the animation portion)
Mirimax (Which also includes Dimension Films)
Touchstone
Pixar
Buena Vista Music Group

Starting to see the pattern?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The current media consolidation trends are a serious concern for a variety of reasons but I don't know if Disney would qualify as monopoly.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
they do own a lot of media outlets, sure, but they arent controlling the market with any one of those companies you mentioned.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
they do own a lot of media outlets, sure, but they arent controlling the market with any one of those companies you mentioned.
Its the fact that they own so many outlets that is of concern, not the power of any single outlet.

Having worked on Disney brands in the past, I was astounded at how controlling they are over their brand image, even by my tinfoil standards.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Its the fact that they own so many outlets that is of concern, not the power of any single outlet.

Having worked on Disney brands in the past, I was astounded at how controlling they are over their brand image, even by my tinfoil standards.
if they owned a ton of broadcast companies and or a ton of movie companies then i would start to think monopoly. and if it was, the FTC wouldnt allow the stocks to be sold/bought.

it makes plenty of sense that they want to control every single aspect of their company's marketing strategy. they are a company founded on their image and promote themselves with their "wholesome" name. god forbid a toy company makes a doll's boobs too big

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
if they owned a ton of broadcast companies and or a ton of movie companies then i would start to think monopoly. and if it was, the FTC wouldnt allow the stocks to be sold/bought.
There aren't exactly a ton of media or broadcast companies left that aren't owned by some sort of larger conglomerate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_Disney

it makes plenty of sense that they want to control every single aspect of their company's marketing strategy. they are a company founded on their image and promote themselves with their "wholesome" name. god forbid a toy company makes a doll's boobs too big
I'm talking a level of detail and control that is more or less un-heard of. Boob size is nothing.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
hmm when broken down like that, it does seem they have a ton of companies in their portfolio (even though a lot of the media companies are off-shoots of their parent group)

companies that are grossing billions and billions of dollars are all going to be super stringent on the way their product goes to market. like i said, its all about image to them.

and you are wrong. boob size is very important

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
companies that are grossing billions and billions of dollars are all going to be super stringent on the way their product goes to market. like i said, its all about image to them.
Disney is by and far one of THE most stringent. I'm talking to the point that it stifles creativity. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it first hand. From working at Mattel, whose main assets are Hot Wheels and Barbie - two brands over which branding is EXTREMELY controlled, Disney is worlds more stringent over their branding than any company I have ever seen.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'm gonna go on record as saying that was a dumb idea. There's a core group of Marvel movies worth investing in and almost all are in production right now. If they'd bought Marvel 5 years ago, it would be a good buy and they'd stand to cash in. But honestly, somebody tell me what Marvel characters are going to make them back $4 Billion at this point? They've all been done.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm gonna go on record as saying that was a dumb idea. There's a core group of Marvel movies worth investing in and almost all are in production right now. If they'd bought Marvel 5 years ago, it would be a good buy and they'd stand to cash in. But honestly, somebody tell me what Marvel characters are going to make them back $4 Billion at this point? They've all been done.
And look at the Comic Book movies that have been released to date (not just marvel). There were a handful that were smash hits, but the rest remained were mediocre at best.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
If they'd bought Marvel 5 years ago, it would be a good buy and they'd stand to cash in. But honestly, somebody tell me what Marvel characters are going to make them back $4 Billion at this point? They've all been done.
theres always a "what if" when stuff like this occurs.
Marvel does have some big name movies under it's belt, and with a new Iron Man, 25 more Spider Man movies and deals with Paramount, Sony and Fox for future movies, Disney's investment should pay off somewhat soon

Disney also bought the one trick pony (see movies only) Pixar for $7.4bil

Last edited: