Quantcast

DJ Building with a tractor

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
Alright guys, I have acquired the use of a tractor for the next mont or so. The location is out near DIA and the potential is huge. I would like to build some large jumps and maybe a MX or DS course. There is about 5+ acres that I have free reign of(out of 42). Plus access to water. The elevation drop is about 20-30 feet over about 500'. Or almost twice as steep as Arbor.

I am just looking for people interested in helping me lay the jumps out, and do some finish shaping. The tractor will do all of the back breaking work.

Currently I have a 20' step up, followed by a 30' table, followed by a 35' double. The step up is very wide and I am shaping it so you can hip it to the left and go into a series of different lines going at a 45 degree angle from the jumps that are already there.

If anyone is interested let me know and we can get together. It is my families land so the jumps will NOT get torn down. And we can party there which has proven to be quite fun in the past.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Wow that sounds awesome!!!! :drool:

I'm definitely down for helping out :D Think we could build some smaller lines for those of us just starting with jumpin?(like me) :) ;)

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
Here is a quick sketch of what is there now, and where the potential lines will go. I am open for anything... especially if people like the idea of a MX course. That could change the lay out of the potential lines. The drop in tower will be built fairly soon. The big jumps could be hit without it(maybe) but it will be hard.

Plus there is a fire pit next to the step up. I had a party about three weeks ago and we had a burly bonfire. There is plenty of land for camping or people could sleep in the basement of the house. It is not too far of a drive. But if people drink it's just stupid to drive home... especially from this place.

Jeremiah

Attachments

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
Sorry if the jumps seem a little big. I will definitely build some that are smaller... and probably some that are bigger :D

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
That's awesome! A mx/ds course would be pretty fricken sweet too. If done right maybe a miniseries like the RPM one could be held there? Whether it be formal or just kinda go out and have fun and do some friendly racing. Smaller lines would be nice, although I think I'm mostly just scared of jumps right now, lol, probably because I dj on a rigid. :D

Jan 4, 2005
nice! thats sounds like good practice fun in denver...we need someone that owns the land, so we arent restricted by politics :rolleyes:

Phil Winn

Chimp
Apr 1, 2005
Hi Jhusktrials,

Man the idea of having a slalom course or MX course is awesome. PM if you'd like any help. Me and my crew have solid experience with the shovel.

P"

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Like the kitten puncher, I too would be willing to come dig after finals. You should organize a big dig day, get a bunch of people to come down, and offer free food. Some huge fast DH bike jumps would rock the house.

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
Sounds good y'all. My parents are just finishing the house so I will be busy helping them move and finalize all the little things, i.e. handrails, steps, etc...

I will try and dig a little this week. Maybe next weekend I will try and do some serious digging.

JHusk

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
I am planning on a jump jam in August or September. Whenever there isn't anything else going on. If there is a MX course we could hold a race. It does not have to be official just fun.

downhill24/7

Chimp
Jan 31, 2005
Boulder
im moving to boulder this august, but holy **** that sounds so amazing, i'd be more than willing to help with that from day one, my dad would be kinda gay if he knew about any partying, im 15. but i live for big jumps, idk about 30 feet but ill get there, anyway please tell me if i can help ince i arrive, if not bummer but i would any time that sounds soo epic so dont not let me ride there is theres no need for me, pm me

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
Everyone is welcome. I am going to write up some insurance waivers and inquire about extra insurance on the land, if it is neccessary. I do not want people trying to sue my parents, thus causing them to lose their land. They are being very cool with the situation... I do not want it to come back negative.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
yea f that. the camera is usually good enough motivation but doesnt always work plus i hella got to step up my trick package by mid summer for a bunch of comps im doing.

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
And... I looked into building a foam pit. If someone can find some foam cheap I would do it. All that I could find on the net was stuff for gymnastics, in other words it was "hella" expensive.

And that will be the last "hella"

JHusk

2young2ride

Chimp
Nov 23, 2003
Colorado
Find a packaging place that uses foam. They usually get it in sheets and punch out the pieces they need and toss the rest. I don't know of anywhere but that's what Ray's in Cleveland used for their foam pit. Don't think it cost them anything. It's not the fancy squares but it works all the same.

mm

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
Hmmm... I will look into that. I have seen some foam pits with chunky foam, that has got to be cheaper. But all I could find was the fancy square type.

fondigley

Chimp
Apr 4, 2004
Boulder, CO
I don't think that foam outside is such a good idea. We might be able to pull it off in Colorado with a cover, but would be a far one. Other than that plan to come check your spot out. Soiunds tight.

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
Yeah I was planning on getting a cover... if I build it. I seems like a lot of work. Right now I am concerned with building jumps and probably a MtnX track.

J

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
jhusktrials said:
And... I looked into building a foam pit. If someone can find some foam cheap I would do it. All that I could find on the net was stuff for gymnastics, in other words it was "hella" expensive.
foam pit?
bah!

punji sticks!
Punji stick pits are cheap, effective, and very nasty traps, used in modern times in revolutionary warfare as the "poor mans land mine". Several bamboo or wooden sticks are rammed into a small pit and the upward ends are sharpened to points. The points may be hardened with fire but that is optional. The sticks are smeared with excrement or fluids from rotten animals. The pit is camouflaged. Anyone crossing the pit might step into it and impale his foot on the sticks.
i'm just sayin', if you're going to show up...

besides, those mile-a-minute winds would make short work out of foam.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
jamie from the old rocky mtn decent team found some cheap awhile ago when we were going to build one in his back yard. ill contact him when i get back in t mines 2 weeks

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
I will be out there this weekend. So if anyone is interested let me know what works. I will try to get the water truck all rigged up too.

JHusk

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
yo jhusk, i can build a kicker (5-6 foot and steep) for the foam pit when i get home and then bring it down there. a dual tard system would work fine over the pit.

dream4est

Monkey
Jan 28, 2003
hey j you got any pix of those jumps? im building this week and would like to see what you have for a frame of reference. its always nice to see other peoples building styles and shapes to develop better construction skilz.

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
I am without a digi camera right now. They look like bmx track jumps... they are still a little rough right now but the shape is there.

Maybe someone with a camera can come out in the next few weeks and take some pics for everyone to see.

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
Okay, my family has moved into the new house so I am available to build this weekend. If anyone is interested just let me know. The tractor is not at the land right now. But the big jumps are already in place, they just need a little love.

The tractor should be back soon. The company that owns it had to plant about 300 trees so they had to retrieve it.

If you want to come out let me know.

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
Okay, we did some shaping and digging today. The first jump looks very good. The lip is still a tad soft but should be good soon. I am looking into building a roll in tower asap. We tried hitting the jump today and it's just too big without a tower.
The tractor will probably be back in the next couple of weeks.

I will be going back out next weekend if anyone is interested.

JHusk

DanD15

Chimp
Jan 18, 2004
Colorado Springs
COmtbiker12 said:
That's awesome! A mx/ds course would be pretty fricken sweet too. If done right maybe a miniseries like the RPM one could be held there? Whether it be formal or just kinda go out and have fun and do some friendly racing. Smaller lines would be nice, although I think I'm mostly just scared of jumps right now, lol, probably because I dj on a rigid. :D
You were afraid of jumping on the big hit too...