Quantcast

DK Cygnus 24... for trials.

mexMan

Chimp
Jun 27, 2011
Is the DK Cygnus 24 a good trials bike? As far as I know it has the geometry of a BMX, WITH the advantages of working as a trials bike, but I want to be sure, because, well, I really like the bike, and I'd like to use it as a street/trials bike.

mexMan

Chimp
Jun 27, 2011
It's not about the brake, I'm already thinking some upgrades, and I'm going brakeless.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
A lot of people think they can convert some random bike into a trials bike. It never works out well. I'm not going to get into it here, it's been covered a million times. You should go to one of the trials forums and start reading up.

If you want that bike, buy it. But it'll never be a decent trials bike.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
A lot of people think they can convert some random bike into a trials bike. It never works out well. I'm not going to get into it here, it's been covered a million times. You should go to one of the trials forums and start reading up.

If you want that bike, buy it. But it'll never be a decent trials bike.
seconded. also, brakeless for trials will never work. brakes are essential for trials.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
just to elaborate a little more... i've tried this previously, using a non trials frame for trials. definitely an exercise in futility.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Regarding the Safa: This is a "street trials" 24, which is more versatile than a hardcore seatless bike. The main difference is the bottom bracket isn't quite as high. This is a Danny Mac bike clone.

I showed you this bike because it's the cheapest you will get a 24 unless you speak Chinese and it is rideable out of the box.

About buying from ecrater: The bike will be IN PARTS. You will need to assemble everything except the wheels. Shop can also do this for you. Check everything and contact ecrater to reship any parts substitutions. The seller has these dropshipped from Bumfvck, China and routinely replaces incorrect parts. I bought my last bike from them and was happy. Takes about 2 to 2.5 weeks for delivery.

Glad to see you getting a decent bike. A light bike with correct geometry makes a huge difference.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Haha There's a constant stream of lightly used Inspired bikes for sale from all the dudes who thought they could ride like Danny if they bought one.
trials is effing hard man. i need to get back on my Zoo!, makes me a better rider. haven't really ridden any trials since i moved back east.

mexMan

Chimp
Jun 27, 2011
are you sean watson? no? that's what i thought.
It's not about me being Sean Watson, it's about how he rides brakeless, that making the brakes a little useless. Brakes aren't needed for trials.

Haha There's a constant stream of lightly used Inspired bikes for sale from all the dudes who thought they could ride like Danny if they bought one.
Sean Watson>Danny Mac anyday, but back on topic, do you think this is because I watched a video about Danny riding? Do you see me asking for an Inspired Fourplay or aything? I was just ASKING IF IT WAS POSSIBLE TO USE A DK 24" AS A TRIALS BIKE. All I wanted were opinions about if it was possible, I never said I would, and I recall, I said ''I'm thinking about some mods'' and some guy, maybe you said ''still not possible'' then I said ''ok'' isn't that good enough? As soon as I said Sean Watson you tought I was just a punk passing by because of Danny Mac. Go back to your bike.

trials is effing hard man. i need to get back on my Zoo!, makes me a better rider. haven't really ridden any trials since i moved back east.
The problem about trials here, is that, nobody rides trials around here, maybe not a lot of people rides anything around here, it's too bad there's not enough extreme sports development. Anyway, for that case, what's the best geometry available for trials?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Danny Mac I believe it.

Anyway, then, what is a proper trials bike?
mad slammed chainstays (often times the chainstay yoke and bb shell are machined from the same piece of stock to allow the shortest chainstays possible). helps to make rear wheel maneuvers easier

a fair amount of BB rise (how much higher the BB is than the rear axle) to make it easier to do rear wheel maneuvers; mod bikes (20" trials bikes) have more rise than stock ones (26" trials bikes). 24" trials bikes (only recently came into existence) are in between mod and stock. generally looking at an inch to two of bb rise, but i've heard rumors that bikes with more exist. This is in comparison to rigid 26" street bikes which have negative bb rise (bb below the axle) or none (bb level with rear axle). only bmx bikes have some bb rise, but that's only because otherwise you'd be scraping pedals constantly. some 24"s are creeping into the positive bb rise spectrum, but only in a limited capacity (and not as high as trials bikes), to make them ride more like bmx bikes. the more BB rise there is, the more likely you are to loop out when doing a manual, which is why most street & bmx bikes have small amounts of bb rise

edit: some more about bb rise: full suspension mountain bikes generally have positive bb rise to accommodate for the suspension, 29'ers and road bikes all have bb drop (negative bb rise)

reasonably long top tube for leverage.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
random history:

back in the day, the best trials bike you could get was an extra small GT zaskar. yes, a production XC frame. this was before trials specific frames existed.

google turned up an interesting link... has some older koxx frames. you can clearly see the oldest one there (2000) looks very similar to a normal street/slalom mtb frame

http://www.trashzen.com/bike-trials/tag/koxx/

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Sean Watson>Danny Mac anyday, but back on topic, do you think this is because I watched a video about Danny riding? Do you see me asking for an Inspired Fourplay or aything? I was just ASKING IF IT WAS POSSIBLE TO USE A DK 24" AS A TRIALS BIKE. All I wanted were opinions about if it was possible, I never said I would, and I recall, I said ''I'm thinking about some mods'' and some guy, maybe you said ''still not possible'' then I said ''ok'' isn't that good enough? As soon as I said Sean Watson you tought I was just a punk passing by because of Danny Mac. Go back to your bike.
?
Maybe you didn't notice I wasn't talking you? Your welcome for the help, bitch. And I don't give a damn about Sean Watson and Danny Mac. You can express your manlove all you want.

mexMan

Chimp
Jun 27, 2011
LOL, I'm being too sensitive here, nevermind my words, I was in those days of the month. Total PITA. Anyway, so it's better to use 20" than 24" or 26"?