Quantcast

dk general lee 24 weight and pop on a 80mm fork?

nato

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Chicago
I was hoping someone could give me the weight on the dk general lee 24". I looked everywhere and couldnt find it. Also, If one were to purchase such a bike, would it be possible to put on a 80mm fork and still keep the same geometry? I was in the process of building up a steelhead when i rode a X24 haro and found it very easy ride and better yet dirt cheap.

Thanks,
Nate

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Mesure the axle to crown length on an 80mm fork and compare to the fork on the DK. If the suspension fork is longer, you will have a degree slacker HA for every inch longer it is, a slightly higher BB, and a slightly longer WB.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
The lee is like 31 lbs stock.

You will need a new 24 front wheel to work with the sus fork.

If you heavily mod a fork for like 50mm of travel, it MIGHT work OK.

Just ride the rigid fork. I got used to it in like 2 rides and I like it better because it's more predictable to jump.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
You will need a 24" mountain bike wheel with the appropriate axle.

There are a couple of forks that are known to be ok to slam. You should search around to find out what they are. If you stick a 4" suspension fork on a bmx, the bike will be nearly unrideable.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
A suspension fork on that bike will be hideous.
Either stick to BMX, or buy a frame designed around a suspension fork.
I'm not saying it wont work, but if you are going to do any kind of serious riding, forget it.

DJmathis

Chimp
Mar 18, 2008
where can i get a good dirt jumping bike with suspension?
i will end up brakeless with whatever i get

and do u know where you can buy a eastern thunderbird 26

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
I was hoping someone could give me the weight on the dk general lee 24". I looked everywhere and couldnt find it. Also, If one were to purchase such a bike, would it be possible to put on a 80mm fork and still keep the same geometry? I was in the process of building up a steelhead when i rode a X24 haro and found it very easy ride and better yet dirt cheap.

Thanks,
Nate
Not sure on weight - but it will DEFINITALLY change the GEO drastically....

Bryan67

Chimp
Nov 23, 2007
Fresno, Ca.
Please don`t. BMX bike should NOT have suspension. I think doing it would possibly throw the earth of its axis or something. Its just not right.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
If you look at a 24" wheel bmx cruiser, you'll see that the fork is exactly the length for the wheel. There is no extra space in between the top of the tire and the arch of the fork.

If you look at a 24" mtb frame with a rigid fork, you see that the fork has to be longer to correct for the fact that it's not a suspension fork.

If you really want a 24" mtb-dj with a suspension fork, I've got a Specialized P-Street 24 that I can get rid of. PM me.