Quantcast

DMR Rhythm Build

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
After running several different setups for dirt jumping, I decided my ideal setup is a single speed 24" with suspension fork.

I was looking through craigslist and found an ad for a DMR Rhythm frame. Went over to look and it's a new 2005 frame with new 2005 Marz D Street fork and a Colony Int headset. Apparently the frame had changed hands several times and had been sitting in closets for years. I wasn't crazy about the fork, seemed pretty heavy. I offered $175 and got it.

Went home an took a closer look at the fork and it's got a bunch of steel hardware for running a peg and v brake. I removed the 5/8 x 8" cromo through axle, the grind plates and the v brake mounts. The fork is now an acceptable weight and will work great for my purposes.

Many of the parts for this build are coming from my current bike. The one thing I don't have are wheels and tires. I ended up ordering Atomlab Pimp Lite rims laced to DMR Revolver hubs, 20mm front SS rear. Wheels are from Universal. I ordered Arrow Blitz 24 x 2.35 tires from Cambria Bike for rubber.

I should have the wheels in a week. I am excited to get this put together. I will post pics when I build it.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
The fork? Yeah, I think 2006 was the last year. I see them going on ebay for like $150 new. The 7 1/2 lb weight scared everyone away. With the peg and v brake hardware removed and the steerer cut, weight will be about 6 lbs.

Rolzey

Chimp
Jul 11, 2009
Londiddillydon
yeah i meant the fork. i also heard on a review site that the crown isnt to strong. i dont trust those sites really, but im sure it will be i nice build, i love rhythm frames they are nice.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I don't ride urban much or go big to flat, so it should be fine for me. I can always get an Argyle if it doesn't work out. The fork was basically free so...

Yeah I like the frame a lot, butted cromo is my fav. Don't see the DMR stuff in the US that much.

Rolzey

Chimp
Jul 11, 2009
Londiddillydon
yeah it should be fine. there aren't many 24" specific forks out there, which is surprising as it is a big market. DMR stuff is great but missed out on the opportunity to get a rhythm for £30 off ebay, as i was on holiday :( what a load of balls

Last edited:

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
DMR Rhythm frame
Marz D Street fork
Atomlab Pimp Lite rims, DMR Revolver hubs and Arrow Blitz tires
FSA X Drive cranks, Mechanix Euro BB and VP pedals
Avid BB7 brake with Speed Dial lever
NS Bikes District 3.5" bars and Kink Relief stem
Shadow Conspiracy seat and Dimension seatpost

Last edited:

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I have been riding this for a couple of weeks now and the bike is excellent. The shorter length and small wheels allow the bike to be flicked much easier. I added some new transfer lines to our area on Sunday, stuff that's hard on a 26, more BMXish. Suddenly I am able to do decent manuals, never could do them on the big bike, even though I have good rear tire balance from trials.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Been riding this for a while and really like the 24 format.

I had been pumping up the fork so much that I figured I might as well go back to rigid. sittingduck kindly hooked me up with a dmr trailblade 2 fork. I like steep front ends so the fork improved the geo for me. Feels snappy now. Weight went from 33.5 to 29!

The back brake was changed to a Louise BAT hydraulic and the rotor is a 180. I am used to overpowered brakes, so the light one finger braking feels natural to me.

Going to plastic pedals and pivotal seat to cut even more weight. Going to get some small block 8 tires soon. This should put me in the sub 27 lb zone.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
nice nice. you went the plastic seat route eh? i'm thinking about picking up a eclat complex mi self.
The seat and seatpost are real nice and cut almost a pound for me. The Shadow seat has reinforcement pieces bolted underneath and seems stiff and strong.

The pedals... let's just say I hope they get grippier as they wear in. I'm gonna give them a chance though. edit: Pedals are fine after wearing the shine off of them.

I don't think you can adjust the eclat seat angle at all? Stolen Thermalite combo might be better if you can find it.

Last edited:

MIDigger

Chimp
Feb 23, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
Glad to finally see another DMR Rhythm posting up!!!! Have been riding my 24" DMR Rhythm since 2004 and loving every single minute of it! Will try to post pics of my build after this weekend trip to RaysMTB.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Haha bike photos are never current. You take good pix, then change something a day later.

Be cool to see someone elses setup, nobody in the states has this frame.

MIDigger

Chimp
Feb 23, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
Haha bike photos are never current. You take good pix, then change something a day later.

Be cool to see someone elses setup, nobody in the states has this frame.
Haha, I hear ya on that one. The previous owner (who was the second owner) said it was supposedly the first Rhythm in the states. I bought it from Thomas Hosford, frame designer for Atomlab :)