Quantcast

Do All Porters Taste Weird?

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I picked up these recently. Shipyard, because I like it and wanted to try some of their other brews, and the Smuttynose, because I had never had it, but knew it was from NH, and figured a "sampler" was a good way to try it.

Do all porter's taste weird? The reason I ask is Smuttynose makes a Robust Porter that tastes like they poured it through a burned stove pipe. :blah: It seemed strong alcohol wise while drinking it, and I did finished 3 of them, :evil: but I don't think I would ever buy more of it. :dead:

El Santo

Chimp
Apr 14, 2002
the 'burbs of SF
berkshire_rider said:
I picked up these recently. Shipyard, because I like it and wanted to try some of their other brews, and the Smuttynose, because I had never had it, but knew it was from NH, and figured a "sampler" was a good way to try it.

Do all porter's taste weird? The reason I ask is Smuttynose makes a Robust Porter that tastes like they poured it through a burned stove pipe. :blah: It seemed strong alcohol wise while drinking it, and I did finished 3 of them, :evil: but I don't think I would ever buy more of it. :dead:
Uh... dunno what you mean by 'weird'. If you mean 'not an ale, and not quite a stout', then yes, all porters taste 'weird'.

I haven't tasted Smuttynose, but black butte is one of my all time favorite beers. 'Specially in winter.

dirtyamerican

Monkey
Jan 15, 2005
at my own freeride trail
I would say that most porters probably do taste "weird" if you're new to them since they contain similar ingredients (making them porters). I've never tried those brands but suggest trying more before you decide you don't like that style of beer. I've got a neighbor that drinks himself to death on cheap lager every weekend and I've yet to get him to appreciate some finer drinking that stouts, porters, and ales have to offer. While I do like that burnt stove pipe taste sometimes my favorite porter is Saranac's caramel porter. It tastes like a porter with a caramel (and some say butterscotch) flavor which, I think, is a great departure from a normal porter taste. I'm hosting a beer tasting soon on stouts and porters...if I remember, I'll get you more feedback on any great porters we'll be trying. cheers!

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
Isn't a porter one of those guys at a hotel that help you with your bags? If so, I imagine that they do all taste pretty weird.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Funny you say that as Otter creek makes a delicious brew called stovepipe porter. On a side note it may take some time to get used to, I would say porters are probably my favorite style of beer. They often have complex tastes that a lot of people don't like, because they want them to taste like stouts instead of porters. What you were tasting is common, it is like a roasted or smokey taste and pretty much you are going to find porters that have a similar taste. If you are interested at all in trying any other porters maybe in a while to get a taste for them (I didn't like them the first time I had them either) I would recomend Anchor porter, Otter Creek stovepipe porter, or Stone smoked Porter. Those are all pretty good and should be available at a lot of grocery stores.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
berkshire_rider said:
Weird as in not even remotely sweet, but it had a "burnt" taste to it. :blah:
That's a characteristic of the porter style and the type of malt used in brewing it. They are not supposed to be sweet either.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
dirtyamerican said:
While I do like that burnt stove pipe taste sometimes my favorite porter is Saranac's caramel porter.
That is, seriously, one of the worst beers I have ever had. Where's that "barf" emoticon when you need it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
porters are a strange bird. i find that i enjoy them more on tap than in the bottle. and even some brewers which i think make excellent stouts (ipswich, grant's, rogue) have what i consider sub-par porters.

for bottled stuff, i would agree w/ Anchor as being a good one. sierra nevada is ok. tremont used to make a nice one too, but i haven't seen it in a while. deschutes is the best (black butte), so go w/ that if you can find it.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
El Santo said:
Uh... dunno what you mean by 'weird'. If you mean 'not an ale, and not quite a stout', then yes, all porters taste 'weird'.
Just an FYI, both stouts and porters are ales.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Before they started actually brewing them, Porters were just black & tans that train porters used to drink.

I love them. The one I drink with the greatest regularity is the Rogue's because it's the best one I can get locally. The brewery in downtown Frederick brews a nice one that I sometimes take home with me in a growler.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Grants is a good one too. My fav Porter is Sierra Nevada. The are a bunch of un-Porter like Porters out there. Yuengling and Southern Tier come to mind.....jdcamb

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Potroast88 said:
Isn't a porter one of those guys at a hotel that help you with your bags? If so, I imagine that they do all taste pretty weird.
Yes it is... and that is exactly what "porter" beer is named for. The "porters" would unload ships and stuff, carry heavy bags all day, and they wanted a nice thick strong beer when it was quitting time.
Thus, Porter beer. :drool:

dirtyamerican

Monkey
Jan 15, 2005
at my own freeride trail
riderx said:
That is, seriously, one of the worst beers I have ever had. Where's that "barf" emoticon when you need it.
Ya. I've read mixed reviews of it. Either your really like it or really hate it. If anyone doesn't want their caremel porter send it to me c.o.d. ...pm me for my address. hehe