Quantcast

Do handle bar shims really work?!

Dec 30, 2009
Hey guys, i am in a financial situation, where i am almost obliged to buy a handlebar shim. My sister for my birthday bought me (without me knowing) some answer 2 inch riser 25.4 bars. My stem requires a 31.8 bar. So the problem here is whether or not a handlebar shim will do it what its suppose to. As if it never existed. I was wondering if its safe? I'll be doing XC/a little bit of free ride (nothing huge). I have read a few threads out there, and ive heard on and off good things about handle bar shims. Right now wheel manufacter's makes one out of aluminum that is only 8 bucks shipped to me. I really like the bars my sister gave me, but for safety reasons i have to ask you about your concept on these things. Whether its safe or not. Or how long it last. If any of you uses these feedback would be great! =D

My bars are made out of 6061 aluminum, and so is my truvativ hussefelt stem.
I heard if you mix metals... the corrosion of surfaces could affect the clamping force on the shim to the bars. So i made sure i was oging to buy all the same metals (aluminum) for this.

Let me know =D thanks guys!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Where is jonKranked when you need him??????
Right here!

yea dude I never had an issue with handlebar shims (shimz?). I used to use the red guys (aluminum) that came with Marz forks for their integrated stems. I even used them for DH with a carbon bar without a problem. Just make sure the interface surface is clean and you're good to go!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i never had any luck with my 888 shims. they always slipped no matter how clean they were. i manned up and got a 31.8 bar

Dec 30, 2009
thanks buds! yeah someone brought up a good point about marzocchi integrated dh stems which use the shim for 25.4 bars... and im sure if Marzocchi has their name on it behind a product like that it could withstand some damage. But i just needed some insurance! thanks a lot guys ;]! ill make sure to check the surfaces!

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
The one thing to keep an eye on is bar height. Usually a 0-2" bar will have no problems, but a taller bar might have enough leverage to push/pull the bar out of place. Put a shim on a BMX bar and you can taste your delicious stem.