Quantcast

do i have to be in a bank physically to open a bank account??

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
hi.
i need to use paypal, but they dont take peruvian banks. also i landed a job with a US company outsourced to peru, and i´d rather get paid in a bank in the US (more tax effective for me).
so i REALLY need to open an account in the US.

i closed the one i had like 2 years ago... but i really need one now. i have a social security number, a US issued drivers license, and i also have a physical mailing address in miami, fl.. so i guess its pretty much everything i need to open an account.

is there a way to open a bank account without being physically in the US????? like a letter? or talking to a bank manager and then transferring the money???
or do i have to spend the bucks to physically go to miami and open it by mysellf???

i´ve been checking some "business that open bank accounts for foreigners", but they look shady, they charge a crapload of money and offer their services for people without ssn, and with no mailing address in the US...

any monkey knows something and can help me??
any bank would do it for me...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
due to money laundering fears (esp where you are in Peru), i'd say the answer is yes. opening a bank account in ireland, even in person, was an exercise in beaurocracy.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
ALEXIS_DH said:
hi.
i need to use paypal, but they dont take peruvian banks. also i landed a job with a US company outsourced to peru, and i´d rather get paid in a bank in the US (more tax effective for me).
so i REALLY need to open an account in the US..
They took our Jorbs!!!!!!

New laws to prevent laundering and terrorist funding require significant proof of identity to open an account. This might be hard to do remotely.

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
Yes you do need to be at a bank to open an acct. And now most of banks these days will require you to give a finger print, which I was pretty aprehensive of. Seemed like all the banks I check out do it.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Westy said:
They took our Jorbs!!!!!!

New laws to prevent laundering and terrorist funding require significant proof of identity to open an account. This might be hard to do remotely.
bummer.

i remember the good ol days, before 9/11.. in 1999 when i was 17 an opened a bank account in nyc with only a passport.
no US-issued ID, no ssn, not even over 18.. yet i opened a bank account and got checks with my name on them... i miss those days..

i talked with the citibank branch in lima and they are ultra-anal-super-retentive.. maybe i´ll try with some small regional banks, the ones with free checking for life.....

pd: that southpark episode about the outsourcing and the males humping was hilarious....

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
I opened an account with WAMU last year without having to go into a bank. Just did everything online, then they sent me paperwork that I had to fill out, and return before the account was active.

www.wamu.com

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Uh, I opened an account with ING Direct (back when they were offering $50 to open an account), and since they are an internet-only bank, I obviously didn't have to show up in person...

I don't know if they've changed how they do business since then but it was a pretty quick process.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
binary visions said:
Uh, I opened an account with ING Direct (back when they were offering $50 to open an account), and since they are an internet-only bank, I obviously didn't have to show up in person...

I don't know if they've changed how they do business since then but it was a pretty quick process.
thanks.. i checked that, but now it seems that i need another checking account in other institution to open an orange..
binaryvisions, is that what you were talking about?? the accounts in ing direct seem to be more like saving and investment accounts...

i tried tamu. looks great, i`ve signed up, but the page to sign up for a new account is not available. might be because of the security settings at work... i`ll try at home later...

thanks a bunch for y`all.... you have been really helpful in just a couple hours.. if anybody knows more, i`d appreaciate it..

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
ALEXIS_DH said:
thanks.. i checked that, but now it seems that i need another checking account in other institution to open an orange..
binaryvisions, is that what you were talking about?? the accounts in ing direct seem to be more like saving and investment accounts...
Yes, that's what I was talking about. You do need another checking account, but you may be able to use your peruvian account for that. It's like a normal savings account, which can be deposited into by your US employer. I'm not sure if Paypal will work with a savings account but I'm sure they have that listed in their FAQ somewhere.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
i opened an account at the canadian imperial bank of commerce yesterday.

there was this mexican guy giving me the third degree for like three hours. he couldnt work the computer system at all but i sweated it out wishing i had opened it online like i did one time before.

luckily he knew how to enter the encrypted password and make my first deposit for me. it was a little embarassing taking their staff out to the bank machine to figure it out for the first time but i know i am saving for a bike now.