Quantcast

Do you ride auburn?

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
If so, we need you!

Last night was one of the first auburn trail meetings with IMBA and the park rangers discussing new trail's and other important info about the area. Only a handfull of people came out and we know there are a lot of you here.

Many thanks to Jesse (1soulrider) for putting together everything. Jesse is the guy in charge with talking to the rangers, negotiating everything. Jesse deserves a big thanks!

Chris

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
Thanks Chris.

The Cool side of the Canyon is "cool" if you stay off the chutes....

We are currently working with the rangers to enhance the trails on the Cool side. We will be adding jumps (tabletops for safety concerns) burms, drops, and some wooden structures. There have been problems with illegal trails being cut, as well as all the switchback cutoffs. We have proposed the addition of appealing new features (jumps etc.) to help draw use away from the damaged areas onto more sustainable terrain. The rangers have been 100% with us on this issue, they are going out of their way to work with us for a positive solution to the conflicts in the canyon. What we need to do is stay off the illegal trails and chutes as well as make sure we are extra friendly to the other trail users in the park. The increasing number of "dh/fr" riders has caused a bit of friction in a couple of ways. The first is the illegal trail work, this is an example of the need for more challenging trails. If we had our trail needs met, there would be very little incentive to be cutting new trails that wouldn't last. The second issue is big bikes going fast on multi-use trails. We all know better, but it seems to be too much temptation for a lot of us. We really shouldn't be shuttling multi use trails, this really causes friction with every other group using the trails (xc cyclists, hikers, horses, families out with their dog, etc.). Again, having more challenging terrain available will divert those of us who want to go fast on technical trails off of the tamer multi-use trails. I have watched this growing conflict for the last few years waiting to see how it would play out. I realized early this winter that it was getting worse in a hurry, and if someone didn't try to change the direction we were headed we would be losing some of my favorite riding areas. Since then myself and a few of my friends have been spending a whole lot of our spare time (read: riding time) going to meetings, talking with the rangers, talking with the local mtb clubs, joining mtb patrol groups, doing trail work, repairing some of the damage the illegal trails have caused, and trying to build a positive perception of the dh/fr crowd. When we started we were considered a rude, aggressive, inconsiderate group who did what we pleased and could care less about anyone else on the trails. We have been able to turn that around, and have gained a lot of respect from the rangers, IMBA, and the local mtb clubs. We are making progress, but it is critical that the rest of our crowd makes an effort as well. We are in a position to be among the first (if not the first) state park to have legal dh trails. This is such a better alternative to closing trails to bikes altogether. We will post more information as progress continues, including trail work dates, meetings etc. We will have free beer & food at any of our work days, and maybe even at our meetings. Sacramento Brewing Company has been very supportive by supplying beer for us, and recently Old Town Pizza (in Auburn) donated a bunch of pizza for our IMBA FR/DH night. If we all work together on this we all will benefit.

Our group name is AATAC

American river canyon
Alternative
Trailwork
Action
Coalition

Trailhead

Chimp
Mar 5, 2002
Sacramento, CA
Thanks for the info guys, and please keep us posted about upcoming meetings, trailwork days, etc. Would've went to the meeting if I knew, I'll check this site more often to find out. Does AATAC have a website for future info? Thnx again. :thumb:

SpuTTer916

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
The OV
Great info. I was unable to attend this time due to previous engagement, but if it happens again hopefully I'll be able to attend.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
I will post event info as it develops. As for a web site, there isn't one yet but we are looking for someone to help us build one

D

dwnwrd

I hadn't heard about a meeting. But I'm not exactly in the loop. I'm not sure exactly what's "illegal" on the cool side, but I have a idea now that I know that parts of it are.

Does this mean FATRAC is defunct? How about auburntrails.org for a domain name? I hate trying to remember acronyms. :)

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
FATRAC is still doing their thing, and they have done a great job working on cyclist's behalf here in the canyon. We at AATAC are focusing on dh/fr issues specifically, as this is a growing segment of the cycling community that we most identify with. There are also, as we all know, a number of conflicts that have arisen as a result of the scenes increased popularity. We are seeking to resolve these issues in a way that benefits everyone.

SpuTTer916

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
The OV
I think what they were talking about on the Cool side was the 'downhill run' opposite of Ohlmstead over by Teichert...

I've only done that once when I first started riding and it was pretty cool, I'd love to do it again, but we rarely have 2 cars to shuttle it.

D

dwnwrd

Well please do post updates here. I'll be happy to do what I can. I'd hate to be unwittingly contributing to my own demise.

I've never had any conflicts other than the ocassional person who won't bother to answer a hello when I stop for them. It is definitely getting more crowded up there though.

You know Sean A.? He's been trying to wrangle up a way to run a quasi commercial shuttle service at Mammoth Bar. I haven't talked to him lately so I don't know how that's going.

If you're taking input on trail ideas... I'm a wuss when it comes to jumps -- well, actually, I'm just a wuss -- and I prefer to challenge myself on the chutes, technical single track and such, but apparently that's not compatible.

SpuTTer916

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
The OV
Originally posted by dwnwrd
I've never had any conflicts other than the ocassional person who won't bother to answer a hello when I stop for them.
Hey, I saw that guy last Sunday! He's been riding a lot lately...

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
Originally posted by dwnwrd

You know Sean A.? He's been trying to wrangle up a way to run a quasi commercial shuttle service at Mammoth Bar. I haven't talked to him lately so I don't know how that's going.

Talked to him on saturday... He's all ready to do it, but he can't find any insurance... so it's on hold :(

been_jamin

Chimp
Apr 27, 2004
SF Bay Area
I moved to the Bay Area a year ago and don't know where Auburn is. Did a quick MTBR trail search but didn't see it.

Always looking for challenging terrain.

--Been