Quantcast

Do you think this guy should race pro? (video)

Should he race pro?

• yes

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • no

Votes: 38 70.4%

• Total voters

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
My buddy is trying to get a pro license with USA Cycling, Here's a video of him dirt jumping, (we don't have any mtb footage but you get the idea)

Eliot Jackson on Vimeo

He also used to race moto and was damn good, I think pro, he was on team green for awhile.

Anyways for whatever reason he got out of moto and is now totally dedicated to Dh.

As for results, he's got a 4th in pro at Erics Carter's Temecula race, and just last week got 3rd in the Phast Wednesday race at Whistler out of 80 people, Tyler Moreland won.

I'm posting because USA Cycling just denied him for pro and told him he needs to race expert, I don't have to say that would be sand bagging, especially for someone who has already made a podium in pro.

I know a lot you guys race, maybe if there was a good response here, he could go back to USA Cycling and see if they'll change their mind?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Just cuz you're a good jumper doesn't mean you're a good racer. Just b/c you're a pro racer doesn't mean you're a good jumper. If you're fast, you're fast. The clock will tell. Pay your dues and race some expert races. If you smash people then consider an upgrade. Pretty straight forward I think.

-ska todd

May 30, 2005
A$$pen
Based on a 3rd place result in a Phast Wednesday race, I would say he should be racing pro. That said I'm not sure he will instantly get a pro license w/o competing in some races.

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
Please read the post, he's already raced pro and beat 16 of the twenty pros who raced. He beats me pretty regularly and I'm pro. He wasn't too far off one of the top Canadian pros (I know that's not saying much :D) I just posted the bmx video because that's all I have. ....Usually I don't post stuff like this, but this is an exception, The man is one of few I see that is serious about competing and wants to bypass the expert class. I thought this might help, but I feel like people are not reading the post and jumping to conclusions about the bmx video.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
This is complex.

He doesn't want to race expert but USA cycling don't want him to race pro. US cycling hands out the licenses.

I can't work it out.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
You Yanks are too caught up in your class system.

If the rules state he needs to spend some time in expert, then he needs to spend some time in expert. How difficult is that?

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
Errr...He has only done 2 races? If he really cared about racing he would turn up and do a few races in expert. If you're right he will smash everyone and earn his spot in pro. It's how pretty much EVERYONE does it so why should he be any different? Or does he just like being able to tell everyone he is "pro" and feel special?

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
Errr...He has only done 2 races? If he really cared about racing he would turn up and do a few races in expert. If you're right he will smash everyone and earn his spot in pro. It's how pretty much EVERYONE does it so why should he be any different? Or does he just like being able to tell everyone he is "pro" and feel special?
It's more like the mindset that pro is the only class that really counts. If you've raced pro and done well, why would you want to go down a class?

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Well I guess he needs to go over his ego if he wants to race pro.

I doubt that RM poll will convince your cycling association to change their decision.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Your friend is not a unique and special snowflake. He's gotta work his way up like everyone else. If he really is as good as you say he is, it shouldn't take long to move up from Cat 1. Otherwise tell him to get off his high horse.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
It's more like the mindset that pro is the only class that really counts. If you've raced pro and done well, why would you want to go down a class?
Understood, but, to USAC he has not raced any of "their" races in pro!
perhaps if he had a long resume of racing pro in another sanction, he might
be able to convince them. PRO BMXers have been able to jump right into pro class
in the past without proving themselves on a MTB, which I don't agree with either.
I can get smoked by AA and A bmxers but, do the smoking when on a DH bike and have seen some of them struggle in Expert DH as well.

My opinion is it should be like the old days when you had to earn a Pro license.
I had to place top 3 in like 4 National events racing as an Expert (In the late 90's when there were like 150 experts at each National) before I could turn Pro. I paid my dues and all the expenses that went with it! Why shouldn't he have to??????????
Hell - I think it's too easy to get a Pro USAC license myself!

Your buddy needs to pay his dues! Did he send in a dirtjump vid to get his MX Pro license?

MAAAADDD Props on the DJ's though! He looks like a schredder!

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Just cuz you're a good jumper doesn't mean you're a good racer. Just b/c you're a pro racer doesn't mean you're a good jumper. If you're fast, you're fast. The clock will tell. Pay your dues and race some expert races. If you smash people then consider an upgrade. Pretty straight forward I think.

-ska todd
quoted for truth.

two great finishes in non USAC sanctioned events means nothing to the USAC

Last edited:

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
BS on paying his dues. It's not like he will start making money the day he "turns" pro. If he is putting up pro times then he should race pro. It's unfair to any expert that has to race against someone who is Pro fast, but forced to race down a class.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
BS on paying his dues. It's not like he will start making money the day he "turns" pro. If he is putting up pro times then he should race pro. It's unfair to any expert that has to race against someone who is Pro fast, but forced to race down a class.
but its also unfair to all the pros who had to work their way up.

Homey

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The O.C.
If the guy is "that good" he should be able to convince USAC to move him up after 1-2 National races. I don't agree with people going straight to pro but I guess it happens if you hold another "bicycle" pro license. If he has a point to prove then he should have no problem smoking experts for a weekend.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
but its also unfair to all the pros who had to work their way up.

True, but is a guy really working his way up if he is stomping the lower class he is in?

I'm not advocating this guy being able to race pro, but making a guy race a season against guys he is killing doesn't earn him anything.

I'm just biased cause I hate sandbaggers.....I'm slow.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Just to clear things up, I checked the USAC rulebook (Section 1D6), to upgrade from Cat 1 to Pro you need two top 3 finishes, or 3 top 5 finishes. If he's as good as he thinks he is he should be able to get a pro license in under 2 months.

It also states that USAC reserves to right to upgrade Cat 1 riders to Pro at any time. So if he enters a race where cat 1 and pro share a course, and he completely smokes Cat1 to the point he'd have placed very high in Pro, I would say go ahead and petition after that race.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Pastrana & Henry both raced Expert downhill at Mount Snow. They certainly are Pro's. ;)

-ska todd

proworkz

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Reno, Nevada
and what if those two finishes he had were just flukes and everyone else sucked that day?
IH8Rice you right with your comment. And to add to it......... The local "Pro" gig really makes me laugh. In my book, you are not pro unless someone is paying you to do you what you do..... And I do not mean a free bike and a little support. I mean everything is taken care 100%.

So let the kid race with his local "Pro's". Then when he thinks he is ready have him race the real Pro's.....:thumb:

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
A couple things, it's no secret the US pro class is more like amateur pro. It's not that serious.

Also I wouldn't post this if he had beaten a few back of pack pros. The guys he's been on the podium with, all placed in the top 10 at last fluid-ride cup.

Also please stop saying he's on a high horse. He is not doing this to brag or to "say I'm a pro" and I'm the one who posted this, he didn't even know, but now I kind of feel like an asshole.

But anyways I'm getting the feeling the consensus is he should "pay his dues" before he is allowed to race pro mtb.

theBigHeezy

Chimp
Oct 23, 2006
Salt Lake $hitty, UT
Just to clear things up, I checked the USAC rulebook (Section 1D6), to upgrade from Cat 1 to Pro you need two top 3 finishes, or 3 top 5 finishes. If he's as good as he thinks he is he should be able to get a pro license in under 2 months.

It also states that USAC reserves to right to upgrade Cat 1 riders to Pro at any time. So if he enters a race where cat 1 and pro share a course, and he completely smokes Cat1 to the point he'd have placed very high in Pro, I would say go ahead and petition after that race.
yes yes yes, discussion over.

proworkz

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Reno, Nevada
A couple things, it's no secret the US pro class is more like amateur pro. It's not that serious.

Also I wouldn't post this if he had beaten a few back of pack pros. The guys he's been on the podium with, all placed in the top 10 at last fluid-ride cup.

Also please stop saying he's on a high horse. He is not doing this to brag or to "say I'm a pro" and I'm the one who posted this, he didn't even know, but now I kind of feel like an asshole.

But anyways I'm getting the feeling the consensus is he should "pay his dues" before he is allowed to race pro mtb.
Alloy you really are making to much of this. Let him race any class and any where he wants. Good luck and be safe....:thumb:

Last edited:

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Man that vid is awsome! I love how the guy trails and doesn't trick. This should be in the Dirt Jump sub forum

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I hope this guy turns out to be fantastic, 'pays his dues', goes pro, then the lecturing poop flappers can wallow in the stew.

Blahfoo

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Because no matter how fast the rest of us pro's thought we were when we
started - we still had to pay our dues. That's why it's unfair.

Duh!
But, it's also unfair to the expert riders who have to compete against someone who is way out of their league. Would suck for even more people if he would have to sandbag against his will.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
But, it's also unfair to the expert riders who have to compete against someone who is way out of their league. Would suck for even more people if he would have to sandbag against his will.

Any cheese with that wine????? So if you let this guy, who claims to be "Pro fast" go pro- how is that fair to "anyone else" who thinks they should have a pro license, to be - Denied.
That's saying anyone who feels froggy should jump their ass into a Pro field?
Then you have a bunch of people who end up in the way of the real Pro riders during practice etc.
The upgrading process is easier than it used to be, and there has to be some process to be fair to pros and ameteurs alike.

I'm not saying he should have to race the entire season in Cat 1 killing everyone he races. There are guys who have been paying dues at USAC races who are putting up times that would rank them well among Pro fields and they are still having to prove themselves. Those same guys are finding out that staying that consistent thoughout a Cat 1 season is not as easy as one or two races. I don't think the same guy has won all the Gravity East Races in Cat 1 which shows there is competition at that level. Someone is not a sandbagger just because you want them out of your way as an amateur
because they keep kicking your butt. As long as their not kicking everyones
butt - EVERYTIME over a full season - IMO

Last edited: