Quantcast

Do you think this guy should race pro? (video)

Should he race pro?

• yes

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • no

Votes: 38 70.4%

• Total voters

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I am jealous of zacks trails from watching that video. It makes me want to ride giant trails.
those aren't zach's. those are the dude in the video's trails.

anyway, fyck the 18713958 classess, I like the "elite/amature" class setup alot more.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I think Mark stated this, but this has nothing to do with him being on a "high horse" or having an ego. He is one of the nicest and most humble people you will ever meet. He is also one of the most natural bike riders I have ever seen. I had been telling him he should take DH seriously for awhile... I knew he'd be good at it with his bmx and moto background. It's cool that he finally is.
wUrd. Frankly, if he's keeping up/beating Alloy on any track, he should be racing pro. Alloy is probably one of the best riders I've seen, and one of the most chill guys.

Last edited:

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
:confused:

What's the point of this thread?

The rules are very simple and should apply for everyone, it's not like anyone is standing on his way, all he has to do is to compete in few races.

For example: If you want your driving licence you have to pass the test, it doesn't matter if you drive like Schumacher.

Do you really think that this thread would convince US-cycling to change the rules?

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
I don't get this thread either....from the sounds of it this guy is really good and fast enough to ride pro, so in short, race expert for 5-10 races, whoop everyone and then move onto pro.

Its the same in almost any racing environment. If I am fast as hell on a motocross bike, I don't go to a local race and start off in Expert. I race Novice and aquire points, then move to Am, then to Expert, etc...

roamingoregon

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Wilsonville
Figured since my old riding pal Alloy started this, and my good buddy Cru commented, and it's about a guy I've been watching since he was an early teen I ought to comment for no reason other than to say something and be ignored.

The trails video rules! There are at least three different location shown and all of them had a hand in being built by either me, cru, eliot, tbuck, and zachdank. Fact.

The video was filmed and edited by Andrew (his older brother who also shreds- but on a 20" and rides pro for WTP)

If Eliot wants to race pro then by this time next year he will be pro. Fact.

Way back when I was an XC geek I "paid my dues" and started in beginner- It took me less then a season to be expert and was raced pro regional a year later. Then raced Elite, or Semi Pro nationally for a few years before giving up.

How that is relevant is that when I started dabbling in Road racing they made me race Cat 5! I was on "the circuit" for MTB and ranked in the top 5 of semi-pro (XC) but they made me race Cat 5 for road. My schedule was too busy to do enough road races to earn the points to upgrade so for 2 years I "sandbagged." By the third year through a petition I was given a Cat 1 license.

So what about Eliot? I want to see him be patient and race. He's super humble and understands the dedication it takes. I'll support him any way I can.

Cooke

Chimp
Apr 1, 2008
most good dh racers come from dirt jumping backgrounds......

I say let him go pro and if the season doesn't play out for him then you can reconsider.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The season before last at the willamette pass series in oregon. The dude that was winning expert was also beating the pros. I believe that is sandbagging. He didnt want to step up cause he didnt want to pay more money.
You forgot to mention that the dude is 40+ and was Semi Pro. ;) Not a good sign for the 3-4 pros attending that they got beaten by an old man. :p
But there is a guy who wins nearly every race in Sport class at WP ....for the last 4-5 years!!! :rant:
But this year I get him.....maybe. :D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
My buddy is trying to get a pro license with USA Cycling, Here's a video of him dirt jumping, (we don't have any mtb footage but you get the idea)

Eliot Jackson on Vimeo

He also used to race moto and was damn good, I think pro, he was on team green for awhile.

Anyways for whatever reason he got out of moto and is now totally dedicated to Dh.

As for results, he's got a 4th in pro at Erics Carter's Temecula race, and just last week got 3rd in the Phast Wednesday race at Whistler out of 80 people, Tyler Moreland won.

I'm posting because USA Cycling just denied him for pro and told him he needs to race expert, I don't have to say that would be sand bagging, especially for someone who has already made a podium in pro.

I know a lot you guys race, maybe if there was a good response here, he could go back to USA Cycling and see if they'll change their mind?

Thoughts?

Yeah give it a shot, I'm sure he'd do okay.