Quantcast

Do you train with a power meter?

L

luelling

I use the cycleops power meter, its the older yellow one with all the damn wires. I would like to build a new setup for my road bike with the carbon hub and wireless kit. I think its a really useful tool for doing intervals.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Those things are a complete rip off. I hate that the power tap is $1400 for the kit, thats a load of cash
They make more sense if you race, as you dont't need to worry about swapping to your race wheels and not having watts available.

That said, I'd probably have a Powertap if I had the $$.

L

luelling

They make more sense if you race, as you dont't need to worry about swapping to your race wheels and not having watts available.

That said, I'd probably have a Powertap if I had the $$.
I guess I need to check the weights. Some ppl are racing with the new carbon/wireless setup. That is what I was thinking of doing.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
co-worker has a 56cm System6 built up, 15.--lbs, with an SRM. weight gain is minimal at most. he can also swap between ESs and his Reynolds tubies.

i've seen very few setups with wiring that impresses me, though.

L

luelling

i've seen very few setups with wiring that impresses me, though.
LOL, wires running every where doesn't float your boat?? You could have campy for a clean look, add all the wires, and make your bike look like sh!t

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I guess I need to check the weights. Some ppl are racing with the new carbon/wireless setup. That is what I was thinking of doing.
You can still get a bike plenty light with the P-tap(wireless or just the SL), but lacing it to a Zipp 303 rim somehow doesn't seem like a good idea for training...

L

luelling

You can still get a bike plenty light with the P-tap(wireless or just the SL), but lacing it to a Zipp 303 rim somehow doesn't seem like a good idea for training...
I have a ****ty wired setup for training. I want to build up a nice wireless, carbon hub with a good rim race setup. Landis ran it in the '06 tour. This is part of my revamp for my road bike (see the upgrade to Dura Ace thread)

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
who cars about wires, is it really that big of a deal? and you might not had a choice, heard a few mumblings that the wireless one might not be around much longer.

L

luelling

who cars about wires, is it really that big of a deal? and you might not had a choice, heard a few mumblings that the wireless one might not be around much longer.
really? any links or e-speculation? I just think the wires look crummy and its a pain to route.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
not e-speculation, but speculation from some sources.
and the cables aren't really that big of a pain to set up. just a few zipties and being smart about the routing and it's not that bad.

L

luelling

and the cables aren't really that big of a pain to set up. just a few zipties and being smart about the routing and it's not that bad.
Thats actually my biggest beef. My nice CR1 looks like crap, even with black zip ties. I'm gonna bitch about the wires no matter what you say :)

<edit> I reserve duct tape and zip ties for the DH bike!!

L

luelling

all you had to say was that you ride a scott :)
Hey....it rocks! :) I've actually only owned three road bikes in my life. I've owned a TON of DH bikes though. I guess I've had two cross bikes. My power tap is currently on my cross bike.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
lots of spikes then one really big one at the end for a 3 up sprint.
little over 1200 at the end of the race.

L

luelling

lots of spikes then one really big one at the end for a 3 up sprint.
little over 1200 at the end of the race.
Nice!! It would be cool to ride with the powertap, but it wouldn't keep the moisture out. I went and did my power tests yesterday and then intervals today. It was a b!tch.

A bit off subject, I was thinking about building a small website to upload power meter data and track rides and do some charting....anyone here be interested? I'm prolly gonna build it regardless, just for internal (personal) use.

L

luelling

Well fvck. I have actually been having trouble getting my stuff to download lately. I've been working on it.