Quantcast

Documentaries....

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
What was the doc that just came out about some Indy/F1 driver, Spanish guy I think. Someone (stevew?) posted a youtube of the trailer sometime back. Sorry my recollection is so vague, I'm not a race fan by any means but the trailer was really good and made me want to see it and there was quite a bit of buzz about it at the time.

*edit: Never mind, found it. Not available with no release date on netflix. :disgust:
Aryton Senna was a Brazilian god. its already been released in Japan and is due in the UK in June. the US release date keeps getting pushed back again and again but again rumored to be late summer.
it just won the Audience Award at the Sundance Film Festival in January

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Watched "Exit Through the Gift Shop" last night. Loved it, though I must say I think I fall into the camp of people who suspect that the movie may in fact be a mockumentary. The whole time I was watching it I felt like I was watching some kind of weird performance art. That in no way diminishes the movie however, fact or not, it was fantastic.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
"The Bridge"
About suicide jumpers on the golden gate bridge.
Interviews some survivors, lots of footage of people swan diving off of there. Depressing, but I enjoyed watching it.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
"The Bridge"
About suicide jumpers on the golden gate bridge.
Interviews some survivors, lots of footage of people swan diving off of there. Depressing, but I enjoyed watching it.
Good recommendation. I watched it last night. It was surprisingly beautiful and peaceful.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Much as I am no longer a fan, I did, and still do like A Year And A Half In The Life Of Metallica, though primarily the studio portion. There is a recent VH1 show floating around that revisits the studio time spent on the Metallica (black) album, and it was interesting to see the band and Bob Rock talk about the recording process and looking back on it.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Much as I am no longer a fan, I did, and still do like A Year And A Half In The Life Of Metallica, though primarily the studio portion. There is a recent VH1 show floating around that revisits the studio time spent on the Metallica (black) album, and it was interesting to see the band and Bob Rock talk about the recording process and looking back on it.
I have Cliff 'Em All, but I can't stand them post Cliff. I dig the early footage with Dave Mustaine, but I am a huge Megadeth fan.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Stopped at a West Virginian McDonald's to piss the other day. It was ****ed up, I was the only one in the building with less than five chins.
you could have just pissed on the wall outside....no one would have noticed.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Another good one is Brothers Keeper - about the Ward brothers in a NY village. One of the brothers had been ill for years and was found dead one morning. They figure it had been a mercy killing by one of the others. anyways... it gets interesting.
Just finished watching this one. Solid recommendation. That haughty medical examiner was quite a piece of work.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Never understood the fascination with Bill Hicks, he just was not funny. He had some good points but little more than a stoned freshman philosophy major would come up with.
It's an interesting story about how he started in clubs at 16 and went through a pretty nasty booze run by the time he was about 22 (living like he was 35) until he sobered up. But his comedy is dark and angry, so a lot of folks didn't enjoy it and he gets very little credit for inspiring a lot of great comics.

I wouldn't recommend it to most folks I know, but for fans of dark or smart comedy, it's a good flick.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It's an interesting story about how he started in clubs at 16 and went through a pretty nasty booze run by the time he was about 22 (living like he was 35) until he sobered up. But his comedy is dark and angry, so a lot of folks didn't enjoy it and he gets very little credit for inspiring a lot of great comics.

I wouldn't recommend it to most folks I know, but for fans of dark or smart comedy, it's a good flick.
He may have been dark and smart but he wasn't funny, at all.

Doug Stanhope, that ****er is funny and makes Hicks look like a fuzzy bunny.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
He may have been dark and smart but he wasn't funny, at all.

Doug Stanhope, that ****er is funny and makes Hicks look like a fuzzy bunny.
Doug was a whole other level, one of my all time favs for sure. If you want to see funny, watch Mitch Headberg's FIRST comedy central special. A room full of people who have no idea what funny is and he rolls through it like a champ.

Mitch makes me laugh, but it's even funnier to me to see people who don't get the joke.

"You may have seen this next comedian at the store."

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Young @ Heart. About an old folks choir covering rock songs. Just happened to stumble across it on teh netflix the other night and was intrigued enough to watch the first couple minutes and never turned it off. Absolutely fantastic movie.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
Watched an amusing one the other day called "Beer Wars". Its about micro and regional breweries and how hard it is to go up against the big three.
Loved that one. And the lady that hosts it is allergic to beer :rofl:

I'm not reading through 8 pages to see if anyone else has mentioned it, but "A Pixar Story" is really good. Its about the history of Pixar and computer animation.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Just finished watching "The Business of Being Born" very influential.....D
My wife and I both enjoyed it. She refused to have our daughter born in a hospital unless there were complications. She interviewed midwives and we had our daughter at home with a midwife team who were awesome.

The total cost out of pocket for our daughter was $1500 for midwife services including follow up appointments and post care. Very low stress and I can't see doing it any other way unless there are complications.

Not that I would have any more kids at this point, but my personal experience and this movie showed me even more.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
My wife and I both enjoyed it. She refused to have our daughter born in a hospital unless there were complications. She interviewed midwives and we had our daughter at home with a midwife team who were awesome.

The total cost out of pocket for our daughter was $1500 for midwife services including follow up appointments and post care. Very low stress and I can't see doing it any other way unless there are complications.

Not that I would have any more kids at this point, but my personal experience and this movie showed me even more.

That's exactly the direction we're heading. The cost is covered under heathcare so I think everything will be fine. My wife is due Dec 6....I can't wait!!