Quantcast

Does anybody read [books] anymore?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
i liked the movie and was considering actually reading a book. was it good?
If you really think about it, here is a kid who goes on a two year boondoggle and dies because he is unprepared to survive in the wilderness. Normally, I would only be critical of this story, but the book was captivating and I couldn't put it down.

I just read his newest book:

Pat Tillman was a much more fascinating person, but I thought the criticism of the war, particularly the media manipulation behind the scenes, was shocking.

Ultimately, I think Krauker is one of the finest authors, recognizing topics that strike a chord and fleshing out it with anecdotes that keep your attention and inform succinctly.

Pete..

Monkey
Feb 11, 2009
Santa Cruz
Buuuuuuump.

I'm currently reading:

Really interesting story. It's written damn well and sometimes I forget it's not a work of fiction. I definitely recommend it.

I've ordered my next two books which are for a class:

They should be pretty interesting. At least I hope so.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
just finished Robin Lee Graham's Home is the Sailor. & Colin Fletcher's The Man Who Walked Through Time. TMWWTT was great. I like RLG so I like that book.

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
Surely You're Joking, Mr Feynman! by Richard Feynman

The Baroque Series by Neal Stephenson

Godel, Escher, Bach by Douglas Hofstadter

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR

The Terror was entertaining. Drood was a hair laborious, but I swear it induced sympathetic opium dreams / hallucinations.

Bear Basics was a good intro for someone with no bear experiences. For a seemingly intelligent guy his rant on Mtbs was a little shocking.

Exceptional Selling presented an interesting new take on (the traditional views of value in the) tech sales (process). It also pointed out many faux pas and gaffs that professional sales engineers make ALL the time.

EDIT: stuff in parentheses added.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
am reading this currently, which raises a paradox for me...is it still possible to enjoy the work of a complete arsehole? (in this case, Burzum's _Filosefem_)

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Dude good call on the George RR Martin. Just finished books 1-4 myself. Wish he would hurry the f*ck up and finish Dance With Dragons.

Other recent good reads - AJ Jacobs "The Know-It-All" and Chuck Klosterman "Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs". And George RR Martin's "Tuf Voyaging" was pretty cool too.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Dude good call on the George RR Martin. Just finished books 1-4 myself. Wish he would hurry the f*ck up and finish Dance With Dragons.
HBO is doing a series based on those books....eta 2011...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark

Bought the 1987 edition but since it history and its was 75 cents its all good. I really like it and have found it an easier read then her latest book on Lincoln.

Notice the beautiful 1987 cover layout which looks more like some greasy love novel.

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago

In the middle of reading that ^^^. Fantastic WWII book that accurately depicts life on the battlefield from the eyes of the author.
I read this one and many others while I was in the Jarheads.....

Another good one is 'Sand in the Wind' which is about Vietnam, very good.

J

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Buuuuuuump.

I've ordered my next two books which are for a class:

They should be pretty interesting. At least I hope so.
In Search of Respect shifted my entire academic focus.

Right now I am reading:

It's my first ethnography since school (I boycotted for a while) and it is fabulously written.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
been reading some abbey. damn i miss the desert.
down the river is next but I may delve into something else

selling crack in el bario was the only one of Laura's text books I could ever read. what a crazy frenchie that guy is.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR

The author told some interesting stories, but came across as a whiny bitch.

This guy also had some interesting anecdotes. I am really not sure what his point was and I am not sure if he was sure either. Even his checklist of what makes a person a survivor at the end was a little contrived...

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
been reading some abbey.
I think I like E. Abbey, but I have really only read his "pop" stuff. Monkey Wrench Gang was fun. The sequel was total crap. What is his other / earlier fiction like?

The story (autobio?) of the guy traveling back to WV was pretty wild.

I gotta read more of his non-fiction. Desert Solitaire was great. Is the other stuff as good, better, worse?

Reading his stuff makes me want to walk out into the woods and not come back for a couple of months.