Quantcast

Does anyone know of a good DVD authoring proggie?

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
...or a clue on how I can do what I'd like below:
I have a handfull of really sweet documentaries in .AVI (DivX) I'd like to put onto DVD (ie the Carl Sagan series Cosmos w/ say 2 60min AVIs per DVD±R). I "found" a copy of Sony Vega 6c which I think will do the conversion from AVI to VOB (maybe), or I have Premier as well. Any directions to some howtos will be much appreciated.

Edit: sorry, I meant so I can play these videos on a stand-alone player.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Yeah, I have Nero, and that would be the final step in getting it into DVD form, w/ menus and all that jazz. But do you know what I need to do w/ my AVIs to get 'em into the VOB form so nero can menu them? For instance, I d/l the BBC series Space. It's in 6 56min parts in AVI. I'm thinking 2 per DVD vs 6 SVCDs. Will nero convert on the fly?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The latest Nero (v.7) has a whole bunch of new authoring files and converters. I'm sure it can handle it.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Pau11y said:
Yeah, I have Nero, and that would be the final step in getting it into DVD form, w/ menus and all that jazz. But do you know what I need to do w/ my AVIs to get 'em into the VOB form so nero can menu them? For instance, I d/l the BBC series Space. It's in 6 56min parts in AVI. I'm thinking 2 per DVD vs 6 SVCDs. Will nero convert on the fly?
I have Nero Creative Suite that came w/ my new burner, it has an authoring element that converts AVI's to make a new DVD. You can't split the AVI's up in it, but you can assign each one as a chapter.

It takes forever, but it works good.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
BAAHHHahaha! Too COOL! Total menu creation and conversion on the fly! There's all sorts of plug-ins you can get to make it all perddy and such!

Oh BTW, have any of you guys heard of a video called Dark Side of the Moon? It's a CBC documentary about the lunar landing being shot in a MGM studio in London because during the actual landing NASA couldn't get the video feed to go right. I thought it was a joke until they pointed out the film camera...unmodified handheld unit that's battery powered...operating in a temp range of -150C to +150C, and in fully unshielded environment of the lunar surface. Caught my attention after that.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
H8R said:
I have Nero Creative Suite that came w/ my new burner, it has an authoring element that converts AVI's to make a new DVD. You can't split the AVI's up in it, but you can assign each one as a chapter.

It takes forever, but it works good.
H8R, if you need to split AVIs, use VirtualDub. It's free and works wonderfully. I use it to cut apart large DVD rips 1.4 gb into 2 700mb files to put onto 2 CDs. Now I can rejoin them and put them onto one DVD :D

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Pau11y said:
H8R, if you need to split AVIs, use VirtualDub. It's free and works wonderfully. I use it to cut apart large DVD rips 1.4 gb into 2 700mb files to put onto 2 CDs. Now I can rejoin them and put them onto one DVD :D
Noted.

So - are you going to be using this in a new HTPC?

BTW - that Antec rack mount case is a little pricey. Look at some of the nicer cases on Newegg, most are way cheaper.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811219001

It would look hella cool mounted with a stereo and a TV in this:

http://sweetwater.com/store/detail/OSR24/

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
H8R said:
Noted.

So - are you going to be using this in a new HTPC?

BTW - that Antec rack mount case is a little pricey. Look at some of the nicer cases on Newegg, most are way cheaper.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811219001

It would look hella cool mounted with a stereo and a TV in this:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/01/06/national/w090152S14.DTL
Well, maybe. I have a feeling I'm going to need more juice in my HTPC than someone who's just using it for DVD watching.
As for the Antec case, that'll be a bit down the road, say this coming fall. I'll prob. be using the stuff I learn from this project in my Design class...home theatre/automation PC. Right now tho, I'm just using it on my PC PC.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
I was thinking more along the lines of this as there'll be only 2 pieces of equipement, the PC and an integrated receiver:

A nice, big center channel will sit on top of it, and then a flat screen (say 37" for my smallish apartment) on top of the center channel.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Ok, been messing w/ Nero Ultra 7 all weekend (Nero Vision) and it's pretty damn slick. I can convert everything from AVIs to WMVs w/ the option to go dual layer (DVD-9). This is especially good since I've been pulling down all sorts of multi-part documentaries from BBC and PBS... A lot of ppl who are into full HD rips also like to rip in Mpegs, and those files are friggin' HUGE, even by DVD/VOB standards!