Quantcast

Does it matter what oil I use in the lower leg of RS forks (air spring side)

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Does it matter what oil I use in my Lyric lower leg on the air spring side? It's just for lube right? So I should be able to use some random RS fork oil I have sitting around?

Backstory. Fork has air in lower leg cause RS. Let air out through bottom of leg. Whoops there goes oil. I have the correct stuff on order (0 w30) since I'm gonna do a complete rebuild soon but I have RS 15wt and 20wt on hand.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Depends if it's on a normal bike or an e-bike, because if it's on an e-bike that's not really a fork.

My pet turtle got run over by a car last week when he was crossing the road unsupervised but I'm pretty sure it was actually an e-bike that ran him over, not a car, and I think e-bikes should have different rules and anyone who owns an e-bike shouldn't be allowed within a 10 mile radius of my next pet turtle. I wonder if you can get turtle-to-person restraining orders because technically turtles are more like people than e-bike riders.

Also all our local forests are being bulldozed to make room for new housing estates, and if those 2 guys I saw riding in there on e-bikes were on normal mtbs instead, there's no way this would have happened. Housing estate developers really hate e-bikers too.

Yeah i'd go the 15wt, or the Fox Gold if you've got it - it's my fave too.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
My pet turtle got run over by a car last week when he was crossing the road unsupervised but I'm pretty sure it was actually an e-bike that ran him over, not a car, and I think e-bikes should have different rules and anyone who owns an e-bike shouldn't be allowed within a 10 mile radius of my next pet turtle. I wonder if you can get turtle-to-person restraining orders because technically turtles are more like people than e-bike riders.
Alright, now it's fucking war.

Turtles are nice.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I didn’t run over this guy yesterday and I wasn’t riding an ebike. Therefore.
DED0EB48-593F-46CC-96C9-C9450DA8F575.jpeg

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
pet turtle got run over by a car last week when he was crossing the road unsupervised but I'm pretty sure it was actually an e-bike that ran him over, not a car, and I think e-bikes should have different rules and anyone who owns an e-bike shouldn't be allowed within a 10 mile radius of my next pet turtle. I wonder if you can get turtle-to-person restraining orders because technically turtles are more like people than e-bike riders.

Also all our local forests are being bulldozed to make room for new housing estates, and if those 2 guys I saw riding in there on e-bikes were on normal mtbs instead, there's no way this would have happened. Housing estate developers really hate e-bikers too.

Yeah i'd go the 15wt, or the Fox Gold if you've got it - it's my fave too.
I swerved to miss the lizard figuring the turtle shell was stronger. Knowing how you disassemble everything that's perfectly fine, I figured you'd disassembled him, Frankenshelled him a 29'er carbon shell (makes him faster!), changed the leverage curve of his legs and dial in the rebound of his head... I was wrong. Sorry bro!

Ps. That skid mark on his back was made by a shitty Semi-slick Maxxis tire when I gassed the hell out of my e-bike to KOM that shit!

Last edited:

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
I sure hope not, since I've been using synthetic motor oil for years.
I've been using mobil 1 (not castrol as I wrote earlier) synthetic motor oil on mine. However, it is just a Suntour (smaller sibling of the mighty rux) so it's not a real fork anyway . . .

Last edited:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
The zip tie works great at expediting the rate at which the seal popps off and spews oil everywhere. It really does amplify the mind numbing level of frustration. I recommend it if you hate riding bikes in the woods and need an excuse not to.
lol yeah

I didn't think shoving something down between the seal and the station was a smart idea so I went the more difficult route and just undid the nut at the bottom. I should have turned the thing upside down so I didn't loose the oil but the fork needs a rebuild soon so replacing the oil is a good thing.

Have you had this wonderful propriatary RS issue before? Does replacing the sealing rings on the air spring fix it? @jonKranked I seem to remember you might have dealt with this bullshit, was there a solution other than buy Fux?

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
lol yeah

I didn't think shoving something down between the seal and the station was a smart idea so I went the more difficult route and just undid the nut at the bottom. I should have turned the thing upside down so I didn't loose the oil but the fork needs a rebuild soon so replacing the oil is a good thing.

Have you had this wonderful propriatary RS issue before? Does replacing the sealing rings on the air spring fix it? @jonKranked I seem to remember you might have dealt with this bullshit, was there a solution other than buy Fux?
The last RS product I used was a 2008 revelation dual air.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
What I meant was....

Good sir. May I inform you that the current RS Lyric that I am struggling with is the first Rocx Shoxxx product that I have owned which contains an air spring. This is due to my love of buttery smooth spring suspension and my observation of other riders consternation regarding air springs.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What I meant was....

Good sir. May I inform you that the current RS Lyric that I am struggling with is the first Rocx Shoxxx product that I have owned which contains an air spring. This is due to my love of buttery smooth spring suspension and my observation of other riders consternation regarding air springs.
e57.jpg

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
lol yeah

You’re just basically doing the same thing as the zip tie. The pressure will build back up and pop your left seal off is the air leak isn’t fixed.

Remember, you can only reuse crush washers a few times before they start to leak.

Hopefully UPS will show up with my parts to rebuild the air shaft assembly so I can tear this fucking fork down for the 5th or 6th time.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
You’re just basically doing the same thing as the zip tie. The pressure will build back up and pop your left seal off is the air leak isn’t fixed.

Remember, you can only reuse crush washers a few times before they start to leak.

Hopefully UPS will show up with my parts to rebuild the air shaft assembly so I can tear this fucking fork down for the 5th or 6th time.
Tried to order the rebuild kit on QBP yesterday. They has none. Planning on dropping a new Charger wetener unit and a luftkappe into it when I rebuild it.

Last edited: