• loco sucks

Votes: 18 45.0%

• Total voters

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My LBS sucks. I've always believed that a bike shop is part sales and part service, and their service blows. I bought one of the only high end bikes I've ever owned through them, and they still barely had time to help me after the fact. I swore them off after that, but recently I got a weird frame and they are, of course, the closest distributor for the brand. While I was in to pick up some parts, I had them press the headset in. They did so right then and there, and I paid for it and left. After leaving, I realized they had pressed the headset in so that the logo is off-center. It's such a minor detail, it doesn't affect performance, but I paid them $30 to have it done and it sucks to look at.

Should I ask them to fix it? Should I just suck it up princess? Should I be grateful that I didn't have to leave the frame there for them to work on it for a week? Should I complain about it on the internet (check)?

I usually only use shop services for pressing bearings (BB and headset) especially on such an expensive frame. I'm pretty disappointed in this. What do?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
unless you *specifically* asked for the graphics to be oriented a certain way, there's nothing you can really fault them for (unless they didn't press the cups in fully, or didn't grease them before pressing, etc).

that being said, this is the kind of attention to detail that separates a good mechanic/shop from an excellent mechanic/shop. an excellent mechanic would do this without having to be asked.

PS - a headset press is one of the more "expensive" tools its still worth it to own if you are a home mechanic and do primarily all of your own work. if you use it 3-4 times, it's paid for itself.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
fwiw - i have this and the only issue is that some older headsets don't fit and you need a shim or something to make it flush mount (otherwise the adapter cups on the press will get stuck in your headset cups and can be a pain to get off). i did get the cane creek adapter cups which does work with it.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My take. A bike mechanic who wouldn't just automatically put a headset in with the graphics in the right orientation? I would be suspect of his/her skill and find another shop to put it in correctly. I bet if you told them that story they would do it for free. I know I would....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My LBS sucks. I've always believed that a bike shop is part sales and part service, and their service blows. I bought one of the only high end bikes I've ever owned through them, and they still barely had time to help me after the fact. I swore them off after that, but recently I got a weird frame and they are, of course, the closest distributor for the brand. While I was in to pick up some parts, I had them press the headset in. They did so right then and there, and I paid for it and left. After leaving, I realized they had pressed the headset in so that the logo is off-center. It's such a minor detail, it doesn't affect performance, but I paid them $30 to have it done and it sucks to look at.

Should I ask them to fix it? Should I just suck it up princess? Should I be grateful that I didn't have to leave the frame there for them to work on it for a week? Should I complain about it on the internet (check)?

I usually only use shop services for pressing bearings (BB and headset) especially on such an expensive frame. I'm pretty disappointed in this. What do?
Straight logo+$15.

Seriously, you should be rejoicing that they got it in not-crooked and the top cup on the top...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My take. A bike mechanic who wouldn't just automatically put a headset in with the graphics in the right orientation? I would be suspect of his/her skill and find another shop to put it in correctly. I bet if you told them that story they would do it for free. I know I would....
As a former mechanic, most people really don't care.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
honestly if it was a generic shop rat in the middle of winter I would totally expect it...but not the most pricey shop in Boston. I expect a pretty high effort for $30 for a 5 minute job.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That is so not straight that it actually looks like an intention. I'd leave it as is, TBH.
All you need is a sticker of a Monthy Python's foot about to stomp that little fucker.
i honestly kind of thought that at first. I'm probably just going to leave it as a reminder to never shop at that fucking store again....it's the bottom cup and I'll never see it once the thing is all together. it's just such a complete "you had ONE JOB" that it pisses me off.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
i honestly kind of thought that at first. I'm probably just going to leave it as a reminder to never shop at that fucking store again....it's the bottom cup and I'll never see it once the thing is all together. it's just such a complete "you had ONE JOB" that it pisses me off.
If I were you, I'd hope there were no hidden fractures in the head tube... :monkeydance:

Just kidding. :maninlove:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I don't think I've ever been charged for pressing a HS that I purchased from an LBS. If you bought the HS from them (after dropping coin a high end bike) and they charged you $30 to install it but did sloppy work, then they do not appreciate your business nor are they concerned about their workmanship. A good shop wouldn't charge to press a HS in for a good customer who purchased it from them.

Like others have said, if it's installed functionally, let the cosmetic stuff slide and just find a better LBS. One that @jdcamb would hang an apron in.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I am pretty split on this, it's not really something that I would expect a bike shop to really care about, being totally cosmetic and it's not something I'd expect them to spend a bunch of time inserting and punching out to get "just right". That said, if it's the priciest shop in Boston and they have a strong reputation, you should let them know about it and have them fix it. As you said, there isn't much a bike shop offers that can't be had online, except stuff like this, so they best be paying attention to this kind of stuff.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
But the appropriate response is to run in there, chuck your bike and knock over a few of those glove and helmet stands, rant and rave about "WHAT IS THIS SHIT!!?? I PAID GOOD MONEY...I DRIVE A DODGE STRATUS!!

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
In the 15 or so years I have had my Colnago with a Chis King headset I have never looked to see if the logo on the cups was straight. I never cared, I did just go look, the top and bottom logos were not perfectly line up. Who the fuck cares, the headset works perfectly and thats all that matters

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
In the 15 or so years I have had my Colnago with a Chis King headset I have never looked to see if the logo on the cups was straight. I never cared, I did just go look, the top and bottom logos were not perfectly line up. Who the fuck cares, the headset works perfectly and thats all that matters
Plus, aren't we all using drop-in headsets now anyway?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Sounds like the frame might be suspect. The rule is, one headset per frame. Once you knock out those cups might as well get something new. The headtube will get scratched inside and like @StiHacka said, those hairline fractures... especially when dealing with plastic frames, gotta be careful.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
It's a BMC, they probably just assumed you were a dentist and gave zero f#*!s about their workmanship.

Also, CC headsets are garbage, install the bearings with some Loktite bearing retainer or they will just walk around inside the cups and you will have to adjust the preload every few months, ran them for years and they were all the same, ACROS FTW.
I'd love to see Intend do a lower headset, I think a thrust bearing would reduce the flex at the crown to steerer interface, then again you'd have to remove the paint on the crown and have a frame built to a decent standard to do it properly.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah $30 for a 5 minute job that they did poorly is crazy. I just don't know that I really want them to fix it. I agree with others, popping the headset out and rotating it 15 degrees is a lot of work for zero practical gain, other than being right and having a "perfect" setup, and the potential risks are large. I think I'm just disappointed that I paid to have it done and they did it poorly, albeit quickly. I'm sure that they would fix it if I ask, I just don't know that I want to bother. Between having to head over there, probably leave the frame, have them tap out the headset and reinstall it on a used frame...it just doesn't add up to worth it. I had the headset lying on my shelf, so I didn't buy it there. I don't know whether they would have installed it for free (probably not, honestly) but that's a moot point.

Oh well, my lizard shall remain walking off the reservation.

Dec 3, 2007
Attention to detail is what separates great mechanics from ok ones. This is similar to lining up the hub logo with the valve hole on a wheel build. It's not necessary or crucial to the functionality, but it shows that some care was taken doing the job. It only takes a few seconds to line things up or at least ask if there's a preference.
That being said, I'd leave it alone since it's a crabon frame and as you said, it won't be that visible once the fork is installed. Chalk it up to a lesson learned and look for a new lbs and/ or procure a decent bearing press and removal tool.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
it's a little disingenuous for you to be upset with them and claim they did a "poor" job because they didn't follow the instructions that you never gave them.
seriously? when you go in for a dental cleaning, do you say "please clean all of them, well" or go to the auto mechanic and say "can you please rotate the tires by taking them off and changing their positions" or do you kind of expect that they'll do their jobs without screwing it up too much? I don't feel that it's a presumption to think they would want to do a good job.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
seriously? when you go in for a dental cleaning, do you say "please clean all of them, well" or go to the auto mechanic and say "can you please rotate the tires by taking them off and changing their positions" or do you kind of expect that they'll do their jobs without screwing it up too much? I don't feel that it's a presumption to think they would want to do a good job.
are there any functional issues?