Quantcast

does someone do your job when...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
you're sick or on vacation?

I found out today that while I'm on 1.5 week vacation next month, that we're hiring one part-time temp who'll probably do only 1/4 of my work. Meaning when I get back, I'll have a full weeks work backlog.

I'm so fvcking annoyed cuz what kind of vacation time is that?

Are you in the same boat or does your work get done so you're able to take a real vacation?

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Someone is *supposed* to do it, but SFA ever gets done. Seems like I put in 4-5 hours extra in my last few days before a holiday to get stuff all pretty and organized for the monkeys that "take over" and nothing happens. Always happens, but you have to have your sh1t together in case sh1t happens. 1-2 weeks just isnt long enough...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
My last two jobs, enough work gets done that critical deadlines or last minute emergencies are handled, but everything else piles up.

My last job, nobody else except my boss was trained and he was working 60+ hours/week anyway. This job, everyone is too frickin' lazy to lift a finger.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Nobody touches my work. The work I leave behind when I go away waits for me when I return, and of course plenty of new stuff gets added to the pile. Before I leave, I usually finish up anything that's time-sensitive and has to get done.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I don't get "vacation time" because I get days off, but no...no one does my work when I am out sick. I don't even get a sub (except for my maternity leave) so I try not to be out.

When I worked at GE, no one did my work for me and they would call. That's when I learned to screen my phone calls!

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
There is 3 of us and at least one has to be able to be reach 24/7. So my work is pretty much covered, but I also can be called at anytime. Of course the same is true when one of my team goes on vacation my workload goes up.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Vacation... what's that?

But no, no one does my work for me when I'm gone. It's not in my contract or anything, but the unwritten rule around here is that even when on vacation you check your e-mail a couple of times in case there are "urgent" matters that need to be dealt with. But the daily grind type stuff gets put on hold, piles up, the greets me at the door with a big ol middle finger when I get back.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I'd have to have a job but.......

When I went anywhere at my last place of employment, the lady I worked for bitched for days before and afterwards.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I don't get "vacation time" because I get days off, but no...no one does my work when I am out sick. I don't even get a sub (except for my maternity leave) so I try not to be out.
Ditto!

there is 2 to 3 times more work for me to do, if I am planning to be out, and if I am sick and call off, I have the regular work to do and put out all the fires created by having a sub in for me!:disgust1:

I try not to use sick days, specially when I am sick! I like to return the favor to all the fvcktards who try to get me sick by sending their sick kids to school. I just show up sick and cough all over them, make them clean up my barf (the way I have to clean up theirs) and in general get them all sick!

Personal days don't carry over so I have to use them, but sick days just accumulate, so I never use them!

Someday I will be able to call in and say "You know how I haven't used any of my sick days? Well, I am calling in sick now! they will say..."OK we will see you tomorrow" I will say... "NO I am using them all right now! Can you just call me a sub for the year?":twitch:

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
Work just piles up. In fact, it's a rarity that I don't get called while on vacation regarding something.

Vacation is a falicy. They are nothing more than long weekends now.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I have a partner in our West Coast office that suppose to cover me when I am out, but she really can't keep up with the demand of our 300+ sales reps!!!! Most of my sales reps go crazy when I am out trying to get bids taken care off because she can't keep up, so I always have to back track and make sure everything is taken care of when I get back. :disgust1: The bad thing is I get 4 weeks off a year and am lucky to get to take 2 1/2 weeks.

kindtrails

Monkey
May 23, 2006
Humboldt
man, nobody does my work for me. If I take time off...I usually work some 12 hr days beforehand and skip the weekends for a while to make up for it. I didn't take any days off between thanksgiving and christmas. I worked straight through so I could afford to visit my family for the holidays!

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
I've never had a job where anyone else really did my work when I was off. I've gotten people to cover a handful of urgent things for me, but I've always had to arrange that myself. And generally, I have to stay available via email and phone through my whole vacation.

So needless to say - the idea that someone would hire a temp to cover for me while I'm on vacation makes me really jealous! Even if they're only doing a little of your work, I'd think it's better than what most people get!

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Everyone around here pretends that they know what the hell I do and how to do it themselves...Then, when I try to schedule some time to update department on new procedures or processes (all of which make the job easier....:lighten: ) no one has the time. So, I make sure everything time sensitive is taken care of, then I just leave and don't answer my phone if it's from anyone in the office. When I get back, inevitably some sh*t hit the fan and I have to do damage control. Oddly enough, no one ever learns to ask me the proper questions or even give a crap one way or the other....I suppose that's why everyone loves me and hates my co-workers....:monkeydance:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
what do you do, Ope?
Graphic design.

Only a few projects go through any sort of official development process. Otherwise, most projects have a turnaround time of a week or two.

Which begs the question... if I'm gone for so long, don't our clients get pissed that we're sitting on their projects?

And my boss' excuse is that the temp is expensive. I'm like, dude, you don't pay any employee (Fed, FICA?) taxes for them, yeah? They don't make that much more than me.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm just annoyed cuz this isn't like I'm just taking my bike to NM or AZ or whatever to goof off -- which would be a perfectly valid excuse. A whole bunch of family is coming into town for the week leading up to my wedding. They require a lot of hand holding and I've got wedding prep stuff to do.

I have a headache.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
yeah my last job I had 2 assist managers so when I was out they took care of everything...of course I worked for a sensable company...D

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
you're sick or on vacation?

I found out today that while I'm on 1.5 week vacation next month, that we're hiring one part-time temp who'll probably do only 1/4 of my work. Meaning when I get back, I'll have a full weeks work backlog.

I'm so fvcking annoyed cuz what kind of vacation time is that?

Are you in the same boat or does your work get done so you're able to take a real vacation?
Mandi worked 70hrs a few weeks ago in order to get done with a client. her boss (also on the client) told her to take the following week off, saying she worked too much. she gets back, and oh, what do you know...no one finished up the project while she was gone, so she got to do another 70hr week. 70hr weeks do wonders for a relationship....

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Basically when I'm not here my job doesn't get done. I lock everything up that I can so nobody screws up my equipment when I'm not here.

Last year I was driving across the desert on my way to Old Pueblo with ghostrider, and one of my coworkers called me on my cell because he couldn't figure out how to connect a controller and power up my system. I was like "If you can't figure out how to power it up, I sure as hell don't want you using it. I'll be back Wednesday."

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
I'm just annoyed cuz this isn't like I'm just taking my bike to NM or AZ or whatever to goof off -- which would be a perfectly valid excuse. A whole bunch of family is coming into town for the week leading up to my wedding. They require a lot of hand holding and I've got wedding prep stuff to do.

I have a headache.
Wha? How old are you? First go around?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Wha? How old are you? First go around?
2nd marriage. First one was a starter-marriage. Finally found a woman who -- in 10-20-30 years -- I wouldn't want to put a bullet in one of our head's. Probably both.

I found one of the few non-psycho chicks.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
2nd marriage. First one was a starter-marriage. Finally found a woman who -- in 10-20-30 years -- I wouldn't want to put a bullet in one of our head's. Probably both.

I found one of the few non-psycho chicks.
So that means you're in your forties right?:monkey:

Congrats on finding a good one!