Quantcast

Doing it for the working class

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Here is my lady, Leigh D...keeping it real for the working class. She took the week off from her business to race the otter. Leigh hasnt stopped working since she opened July 18th 2003, so it was a much needed break. If you are tired of hearing me say she works 60 hours a week, sorry, I am just amazed she can still do what she did this weekend with having a real job/running a business. Leigh rules! from her biggest fan-me....It was a pleasure having her grace the GT/HYUNDAI pits this week. Ya know, I just saw the pic of Lars Tribus in his suit...I didnt know that was him during practice, and didnt understand what that was all about, but I do know Lars has a real job-and I now get it....fricking funny. Hooray for the working class, maybe now a days since most riders have to have jobs, they should make a class just for the working class.

D

Dingus McGee

I rode up to the DS course just in time to hear "Leigh Donovan on the red course"....etc....it just sounded right. It also sounded like another time. Strange.

Reminds me of the bon mot overheard by John Pevil......
"Ahhh....Pabst Blue Ribbon....the lubricant of the working class machine"

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
Stik...

Leigh was ripping it up all weekend. I wish she was still in the sport full time as she is one of the nicest and quickest women out there. Can you give us the low down on that frame? Is a gt even without the triple triangle? I was trying to figure it all weekend. Whatever the case, it was cool to see leigh racing.

One of my favorite pics from her during the DH on saturday.

She was yelling at the fans the whole way down, "Come one people, yell! I can't hear you!" Way cool.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Yeti, thanks for the Leigh props...

Leigh raced Lopes' old Idrive in the DH as it was the only spare bike laying around in the garage, she didnt want to get a new bike just to race for one weekend-so she made my life easy. Her "TANGERINE" colored hardtail is actually her old lucky bike. It is the bike she beat Anne Caro in dual Grouse 2001, it was the first time Anne had ever been beaten, then Leigh did it again the following weekend in Durango and Anne quit racing Dual-she said it was cause her knee hurt, but we all know she was crushed that she got beat, not once-but twice. SO that bike has some sentimental value to it.
Its her old Schwinn that I painted up Tangerine colors. and slapped some GT decals on.

She did tell me the DH course was quiet as a golf game, till she came down screaming and yelling for people to cheer! too damn funny. I do feel bad cause that bike was so roached, the headset was so tight, the brakes rubbed, the rear tire was too fat so it rubbed, spring rate was WAY too hard, but between me being too busy and her not really caring how her bike worked, It never got dialed.

Thanks again for the props to her.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Originally posted by MMike
You're joking aren't you?
No, not joking. first time ACC got beat, it ended a streak that went from the first ever dual (16 races) but she blew it off as a bad start mistake, but after the 2nd time it was because she (ACC) made a huge-amateur mistake, it pissed her off so bad that she said "I dont want to race this stupid sport anymore" meaning Dual. She did not race again until the worlds 01', where she won.
Team PR at the time said she would not start anymore world cups due to a nagging knee injury but she told leigh later on that she couldnt stand to be beaten again so she just didnt do them anymore. Leigh was one of the few competitors she ever really talked to and respected.
Dont know if you are trying to be a smartass internet forum dork, or if you were just simply asking a question, but I am leaning toward being a smartass...in a nutshell, dont question my racing history, I live it, breathe it, love it, and have been there in it for a long time.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
because stiks is god and anyone who questions him should be chastised. love his history. live his history. breathe his history because his-story and those in his circle are the only histories that matter in the world of mtbiking.

wayne's world! party on wayne.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Well I'm not going to get into a pissing match. You did however come across as a smidge of a jerk. I know...I was as shocked as the next person to discover that such a thing was possible.

Nevertheless, I realize that by law you are required to think that your wife is the coolest. I happen think that my wife is far cooler than yours...as is my 3 month old daughter. Everyone should think that their wife is the coolest. So I can't fault you there.

But it did however sound like you were trying to "take away" from ACC. Come one. Even if she did lose twice... EVER....I still think that's pretty respectable...and better than anyone else has ever done.... I'm assuming that to be true anyway. My "bike history" is certainly lacking and could never measure up to yours. My brain is far too full of stuff that, ya know... actually matters... like quotes from the Simpsons, Seinfeld, SNL, Monty Python, with a little bit of physics and electrical theory mixed in there.

Originally posted by stiksandstones
No, not joking. first time ACC got beat, it ended a streak that went from the first ever dual (16 races) but she blew it off as a bad start mistake, but after the 2nd time it was because she (ACC) made a huge-amateur mistake, it pissed her off so bad that she said "I dont want to race this stupid sport anymore" meaning Dual. She did not race again until the worlds 01', where she won.
Team PR at the time said she would not start anymore world cups due to a nagging knee injury but she told leigh later on that she couldnt stand to be beaten again so she just didnt do them anymore. Leigh was one of the few competitors she ever really talked to and respected.
Dont know if you are trying to be a smartass internet forum dork, or if you were just simply asking a question, but I am leaning toward being a smartass...in a nutshell, dont question my racing history, I live it, breathe it, love it, and have been there in it for a long time.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by MMike
Well I'm not going to get into a pissing match. You did however come across as a smidge of a jerk. I know...I was as shocked as the next person to discover that such a thing was possible.

Nevertheless, I realize that by law you are required to think that your wife is the coolest. I happen think that my wife is far cooler than yours...as is my 3 month old daughter. Everyone should think that their wife is the coolest. So I can't fault you there.

But it did however sound like you were trying to "take away" from ACC. Come one. Even if she did lose twice... EVER....I still think that's pretty respectable...and better than anyone else has ever done.... I'm assuming that to be true anyway. My "bike history" is certainly lacking and could never measure up to yours. My brain is far too full of stuff that, ya know... actually matters... like quotes from the Simpsons, Seinfeld, SNL, Monty Python, with a little bit of physics and electrical theory mixed in there.
GO about your business people.......

No pissing match to see here.

Keep it moving. :rolleyes: ;)

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I came across a "jerk" to you because you do not like me, at all-despite the fact you never met me, hence the reason I was correct in assuming you were being a smartass with your post.
I never have "taken" anything away from ACC-ever. She is the best bicycle rider to ever grace this sport-probably ever and I have said that publically, privately, magazines, etc-all I said was my wifes bike has sentimental value because it was on that bike that she was the first to dethrone a god-basically.
Yeah, she lost 2 races while the sport of Dual was around, that was amazing!! but one person beat her those 2 times, it was my chick-I was stoked for her.
Hate me because I remeber old race stories, about my favorites-I dont care, hell I have tons of memories about riders I do not care for, but whatever the case, I was there for every world cup and national for the past decade so I would remember the facts more than you would.
Anyway, it was a small slice of history, in a small, small world-I was just giving the true story behind the music.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Stik, where were you this weekend. I stopped by the trailer like three times and asked for you and each time was met with a guy looking over his shoulder and saying, "I don't think he's here, but he'll probably be back soon."

Standing order to keep away the riff-raff, or were you really elsewhere?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Actually you were a jerk before I piped u[p. I piped up because of the aforementioned jerkiness.

And goes to show what YOU know... Canadians aren't allowed to work military programs. So there....

Originally posted by stiksandstones
I came across a "jerk" to you because you do not like me, at all-despite the fact you never met me, hence the reason I was correct in assuming you were being a smartass with your post.
I never have "taken" anything away from ACC-ever. She is the best bicycle rider to ever grace this sport-probably ever and I have said that publically, privately, magazines, etc-all I said was my wifes bike has sentimental value because it was on that bike that she was the first to dethrone a god-basically.
Yeah, she lost 2 races while the sport of Dual was around, that was amazing!! but one person beat her those 2 times, it was my chick-I was stoked for her.
Hate me because I remeber old race stories, about my favorites-I dont care, hell I have tons of memories about riders I do not care for, but whatever the case, I was there for every world cup and national for the past decade so I would remember the facts more than you would.
Anyway, it was a small slice of history, in a small, small world-I was just giving the true story behind the music.
Now get back to work-boeing needs some more missiles to be built.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Yeah, that ruling actually is mandated by the DOO. Or in lay-terms the Department of Oxymorons.
The statute states that Canadian and military shall never be used together. Which precludes Canadians working on military programs.

:D

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Originally posted by Damn True
Stik, where were you this weekend. I stopped by the trailer like three times and asked for you and each time was met with a guy looking over his shoulder and saying, "I don't think he's here, but he'll probably be back soon."

Standing order to keep away the riff-raff, or were you really elsewhere?
Either at Trailer, VIP tent with some Hyundai folks, at XC, Slalom or MTNX. I was pinned all week. Got there monday to prepare (was a huge event for us with Hyundai people there, few international distributors, etc...).
I dont keep away the riff raff, since the riff raff is what pays my salary.
Maybe next time...

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
First off let me say a few good things about Leigh. She is a great rider, has for the most part a good attitude, and has been great for the sport. Now for the bad part... I feel that calling her working class is kind of an insult to the rest of us. She spent most of her life racing bikes, and for the most part just started working since her "retirement". When I was at Sea Otter I overheard her talking about her new business. Really all that she would talk about is how expensive it was. Almost telling the other girl that she was talking to that she was not good enough to shop there. So many of the "real pro's" are getting this attitude that they are soooo great, and the rest of us suck is just wrong. We look up to the hero's of our sport, and we already know how good they are on a bike. What is not needed is this elite attitude that some of the pro riders have. You did come on here with this attitude that she is the better than everyone including ACC. Most of the people on this board have worked their WHOLE lives just to get a bike and get to the races. I would not consider Leigh one of them!

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Hooray for the working class, maybe now a days since most riders have to have jobs, they should make a class just for the working class.

They do... it's called the NORBA pro class. The other one for the non-working class is called the World Cup, and they get to race us working stiffs at a HUGE disadvantage. This is why nobody wants to put money into our sport in the U.S.